Wanted - an utterly bulletproof* motor for a good friend

binhoker668

Hey folks, a really good friend of mine (one of the proper ones) is looking for a solid good reliable car for his young family.  He's been burnt a million times and had countless FTPs after buying from dealers etc.

He's a really good sort and doesn't deserve the cards he's been dealt.  He's not mechanically minded really though.

So, budget of about a grand, needs a million months MOT, solid and grand in all important ways and not sold by a twunt.  Safe for a new wee family.

We can do this, right?

Somewhere between Leeds and Notts would be good.

He's lots less weird than I.

Cheers hey,

Chris

post-5335-0-24236000-1549766974_thumb.jpg

Plenty of MoT, £500, Stockton-on-Tees.

I'm willing to deliver at cost providing the buyer is willing to buy it without haggling on delivery.

I've treated it to new brakes, radiator, head gasket (done properly), water pump, timing belt, clutch, fluids, shocks, springs, suspension bushes, and even windscreen so it's about as good as these ever get and it does drive well.  All of this is documented in the build diary linked in my signature.  I would recommend fitting a new catalytic converter for the next MoT and will be doing so myself if it doesn't sell before that's due.  There is absolutely no rot on this car.  The paint is less than perfect, as is to be expected at this price, and easily sorted, indeed it's another job for me when the weather improves.

post-5335-0-72477200-1549768158_thumb.jpg

I'd drive this thing anywhere.  Regularly taken it from Stockon-on-Tees to Maidstone and back with no bother at all.  I'd prefer it to go to someone that will look after it, as I have.

Not another one of those stupid recommend me a car threads, please.

If he can't even decide on what fucking motorcar to buy, he shouldn't have shagged himself a young family.

If I were in his situation, I'd buy a Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon with the LT1 and a Jaaaag V12 and a hearse and be done with it once and for all. Because this is Autoshite, not a forum for the socially irresponsible.

I'm getting sick and tired of this shit.

Hint: This has not the potential of becoming the TOFY 2019, or some such pointless bullshit.

EOM.

Small car?  Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris is where I'd be looking.  Petrol versions, just make sure they're not rusty and they should last for years.

Medium car?  Honda Civic is my best bet, petrol again.  The spaceship ones are good but the previous generation ones will probably buy you a nicer condition car for your budget.  They're roomy inside too.

We've recently got a Honda CRV which is plenty big enough for the family.  You regularly see them on ebay with 150k on the clock so if you can find one with 100k (we found one with 80k) then it's a good sign it will last well.

Buy a car that had a good reputation when new, and has been cared for since.

The Astra that Pete and I are working on presently will be up for sale once it goes through the MOT. It has 4 months at present but we reckon it'd sell better with a full test.

It is a 1.4 with 103k, there isnt much history with it buton pulling the air filter, it has a recent date code and is like new, so it has obviously has some care.

It'll be in coningsby when it comes back from the MOT.

post-2711-0-17273100-1549368378_thumb.jpg

you make it sound a bit like he cant be bothered to open the bonnet /maintain it at all , id be wary of helping some of those types, get them in a clean motor and they will still wreck it then be blaming you for recommending the shit car 

cleanest honda or toyota would be the best bet ....still needs care to keep going though

I did 30'000 trouble free miles in a Reliant Rialto van. I did 1000 hateful,unreliable tortuous miles in a Fiat Panda.

Moral? It's down to the individual car,rather than make or model half the time. I've never bought from a dealer,my view is : why should I pay for his holiday,and they gave the facilities and gallons of silicone to hide anything wrong.

Well, my heart says -  buy a pre 2000 Volvo estate/wagon(gee, i didnt see that one comin!!)...allround bloody good vesatile solid car, low on maintenance...but can be big bucks when it all goes tits up, fuel economy aint the best, parts are not cheap. But for the most part, just drive it, till it goes wrong.

My head says - get a Japanese small MPV type vehicle(not a full blown 7 seater) but one of those 5 seater jobs.

Take your pick...Honda/Suzuki/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda etc.

Avoid dealers(unless they are the rare "alright ones") most of dont tell you enough about the car/bullshit all day long, just to get you "on site", hoping your gonna buy any ole crap.

Note - Im not slagging all dealers off, ive bought a few cars from the trade, and been very happy with the out come :-D

If you read Junkman's posts in the way I think they're intended, as flippant humorous posts it's fine. JM is a good egg.

It's hard for some to parse sarcasm and humour on the internet. 

I would recommend a Maserati Quattroporte II in the grand tradition of flippant posts in reply to "what car should I buy" threads.

I think some of you may be reading the first post incorrectly, I don't think he is looking for recommendations rather than asking if one of us is selling or knows of a specific car being sold that fits the above brief.

Anyone can take pot luck on ebay/auto trader/ Scumtree etc.

Perhaps BH is looking for a known quantity?

There a school of thought that the best £1k car is a £400 car with the rest spent on timing belt/coolant change/discs and pads and reasonable tyres.

That way you know what has been done, and can have some certainty?

Alternatively, he could buy Vulgalour's rover, and get a car with all that done for 50%