Servicing

Bren

Where does everyone get their oil from? I’ve heard Opie oils mentioned a few times but they want £40+ for oil and filter for my 307 HDi. Which seems a bit steep to me.

I need 5w30 full synth, I’ve not got a dpf so I don’t need low ash oil, could anyone recommend where i could get some for a good price? The last 20 litres I got was when Halfords where doing an oil deal.

Where does everyone get their oil from? I’ve heard Opie oils mentioned a few times but they want £40+ for oil and filter for my 307 HDi. Which seems a bit steep to me.

I need 5w30 full synth, I’ve not got a dpf so I don’t need low ash oil, could anyone recommend where i could get some for a good price? The last 20 litres I got was when Halfords where doing an oil deal.

Euro Car Parts/CarParts4Less, Halfords when on sale, supermarkets when on sale and Wilco once. If I see some going cheap when I'm shopping I tend to buy it for the next oil change. Tesco sometimes do half price sales on Castrol Magnatec and Edge, last year they were doing 4l of Magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic for under £20. Wilco stock some Mobil oils for around £25 for 5 litres, not sure about 5w30 though.

My reasoning is, it's more important to change the oil regularly than go for the most expensive stuff available.

When it comes to our crocks, oil is oil.  Unless it's some recycled stuff bought from a dubious sort, anything available now will be of vastly superior spec to that recommended when the engines were designed and anything short of 400bhp and 8000rpm really isn't going to be testing the oil!

Also, there's huge markup on oil, branding and advertising playing a major part in deciding what the product costs the end user.  Hence, I go as cheap as poss with the correct (usually better) specification and change it regularly.

How about gearbox oil though ? For instance my Citroen BE4R box of bolts says GL-4 spec, 75-80 I was led to believe it was semi synth but that oil is available as mineral or fully, EP ( Extreme Pressure ) FS ( Fully Synth ), Gearbox oil couldn't be more confusing could it ?? I've just spent 4.5 hrs sifting through page after page of Comparing company drivel and Energy company reviews just to save £30 Fucquid on electric for a year but gearbox oil ?? confused dot fuckingcom.. I would rather not change it..

On the low revving W124 which took 6 goddamn litres. I did cheap out a few times and just chug semi-synth or cheap local brand synthetic in. That engine didn't care as long as there is oil. I use either Mann or Mahle filter on that. ATF and filter I changed immediately after I bought it and then again at 15,000 miles right before I sold it on.

On the Corolla however I have to use Synthetic because of the high revving nature. This time I went with Mobil 1 5w-50. I will probably change that at 6,000 miles which will be a year.

I start fresh with new purchase. All the fluids and filters have been changed on the Corolla. Start the new intervals. I probably didn't need to as the previous owner kept a meticulous record of every service it had but it's nice to start fresh anyway.

I usually keep it in the ballpark of this.

Engine oil, 3,000-6,000 miles, 6-10 months.

Coolant every 3-4 oil changes. 15,000 miles. Gear/Diff Oil, ATF, and air filter too.

Brake fluid I usually don't have to keep the intervals as I always needed to do something and requiring the brakes to be bled anyway.  :lol:

PAS fluid I syringed out the fluid via the reservoir. On the W124 I only did this once before selling it on. The Corolla I went through the process of doing that for about 4 weeks so it's fresh now. From now on I will do it every oil changes.

It might be a bit excessive, but it's cheaper than having to fix something caused by neglect.

I've noticed that too on some of the things I saw in the States on holiday.

Are garages using synthetic oil, or is it all usually mineral oil?

Not sure, both are widely available.  3000 mile oil changes are just a hangover form the good old days of Detroit when the big V8s were designed for those intervals.  Now it's about the one thing that every lay person seems to know, even though it's 40 years out of date.

Service interval for my C5 is 12,500 miles.

I do it at around 6,000 miles or six months.

It doesn't take long.  I do have to jack it up an remove the offside wheel as I can't quite get under it with the suspension on high.

Remove sump plug and let the car down on the jack so it is level.

Change the filters while it drains, raise it and replace the sump plug.

Bung about four Litres of oil in and put the wheel back, drop it onto the wheels.

Check level and generally chuck the remainder of the 5L in.

Total 5W30 Quarz.  Last lot from Amazon, £23. 

With the filters, around £45-£50.