Invacar MK12 - New owner Mrs 6Cyl

egg

Ah, well there never was an original advert, just someone spotting it - info relayed here by LBF and me getting a bee in my bonnet about pursuing it. Just some slightly soft focus camera phone shots resulted from the yard.

As mentioned earlier - better and worse. Mr Cento nailed it - what is broken is very broken, but also it is pretty original - and what's there is almost as it came off the road.

Oh, I agree it's madness.

But I think I have to pursue this with the assumption of success or I'd give up straight away!

Agreed totally.... ToMM is quite nice, smart & potters along most satisfactorily [zero FTP = zero expenses]

BUT I'm totally obsessed with getting a *rear bootlip spoiler

*dealer fit, allegedly :/

33236384168_3035498088.jpg

I may have a line on one :)

once again not sure on Mk12s, but I do know Model 70s generally all used the same FS880 key as found on many filing cabinets :mrgreen:

Ha ha, I have one of those! It's for the locking fuel cap on my Triumph.

post-20743-0-96199300-1550361211_thumb.jpg

Nice to know I can use it to steal any Invacars that come my way. Probably a good job I didn't know that twenty years ago when they were still around in (slightly) larger numbers.

Ha ha, I have one of those! It's for the locking fuel cap on my Triumph.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190216_234409.jpg

Nice to know I can use it to steal any Invacars that come my way. Probably a good job I didn't know that twenty years ago when they were still around in (slightly) larger numbers.

hah :) *dollywobbler and Zel quickly change their locks*  :mrgreen:

or maybe its a good thing invacar users didn't know that or you may have found your self being tailgated by a small blue car trying to lasso fuel pipe to your car  :mrgreen:

If you wanted someone to have a look at the engine,and I don't know why I'm saying this,I'd be up for getting it working,my only experience is 20 years working on and restoring classic bikes and villiers powered machinery.

Somewhere I have stashed away my grandads Villiers manual that he had while he worked repairing these cars back in the mid 60s

Thanks Christine! So RobT arrived, after I'd first spent an hour doing more sweeping up.

The air filter and carb were removed. Umm. The top won't come off the carb so haven't been able to disconnect it completely. Let's leave it in diesel.

post-20084-0-15151500-1550420288_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-60091500-1550420305_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-21057800-1550420335_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-18244900-1550420362_thumb.jpg

Hopefully after a few days more disassembly can occur. The spark plug ain't moving despite the addition of dizzle. Let's return to that another day.

How about the indicator lights? Dunno how to disconnect...help?

post-20084-0-36002700-1550420454_thumb.jpg

So we (Rob) moved on to removing the seat base for access and trying to make the sliding seat work. It doesn't, the pin that holds it in the driving position was seized.

post-20084-0-15017400-1550420578_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-99523600-1550420599_thumb.jpg

Many hours, baby steps! Thanks to Rob for coming down.

If you wanted someone to have a look at the engine,and I don't know why I'm saying this,I'd be up for getting it working,my only experience is 20 years working on and restoring classic bikes and villiers powered machinery.

Somewhere I have stashed away my grandads Villiers manual that he had while he worked repairing these cars back in the mid 60s

A kind offer indeed! Thank you.

Indicator wires probably need disconnecting some way into the loom. Has it got the typical Lucas sliding metal connectors behind that bodywork?

Ah, possibly, I see - I was expected to disconnect right at the light bulb end.

very cool to see some work commencing :)

May I recommend watching through DWs invacar playlist on youtube? :) of course the Model 70 and Mk12 are very different but the general printable of

"everything is sized how do I free it all off!" is still the same I would think :)

Ah, possibly, I see - I was expected to disconnect right at the light bulb end.

I think the connectors DW is talking about (and that are used on his Model 70) are called "bullet" connectors

I have a friend with an MGB in the states, and he was joking that he was going to have to order bullets from the UK  :mrgreen:

Edit: I think on the brake adjusters DW abused used the wrong end of a socket (since those are square) might be worth investigating for yourself :)

Yep, I did watch all the Invacar vids, but a re-visit wouldn't hurt.

No progress on an ignition key yet - there are no markings to go by on the top of the barrel.

I'll have another look at the wiring.

Oh, definitely need new handbrake cables (if such a vehicle really needs a handbrake!).

I'm Dez's friend in the US-I DID order bullet connectors from the UK :)

I wasn't happy with anything I could find state-side, so ended up buying a few dozen solder-type connectors along with a couple dozen single sleeves and a dozen double sleeves. I bought them on Ebay, and I THINK from a guy who mostly specialized in Triumph motorcycle parts.

Moss sells them, but they will only sell as part of a full kit and they are $$$. I had to go through a bit of trial and error to be able to solder them well, too. There's a lot of thermal mass you need to overcome in them, and anything you might hold them in can make for an even bigger heatsink to overcome. My go-to method has become to tin the wires, fill the inside of the bullet with solder(the latter is a lot easier if I'm using a 100+ W solder gun to do it), then remelting the solder inside the bullet and shoving the tinned wire through it. Done right, the end of the wire will stick out the end of the bullet, where it can be trimmed back flush.

That was a good day overall, some progress made with a bit of 'leave it till next time' jobs. Shame we couldn't get the plug out. The remonstrating fluid met it's match there, and I didn't want to force it too much (not my project after all!).

Whilst egg went off to buy lunch I went all arty farty.

post-5013-0-18257100-1550427776_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-92140900-1550427835_thumb.jpg

The seat base was removed fairly easily, but this securing pin for the sliding base just wouldn't budge. Not sure if heat will help, or just continued soaking in fluid.

post-5013-0-28983800-1550428157_thumb.jpg

The above wasn't just random fiddling, having the base off has improved access to the controls box and other stuff. Floor is a bit frilly in places, but MoT exempt m8 so whatevs.

That was a good day overall, some progress made with a bit of 'leave it till next time' jobs. Shame we couldn't get the plug out. The remonstrating fluid met it's match there, and I didn't want to force it too much (not my project after all!).

attachicon.gif20190217_130851.jpg

attachicon.gif20190217_130616.jpg

The seat base was removed fairly easily, but this securing pin for the sliding base just wouldn't budge. Not sure if heat will help, or just continued soaking in fluid.

attachicon.gif20190217_142436.jpg

The above wasn't just random fiddling, having the base off has improved access to the controls box and other stuff. Floor is a bit frilly in places, but MoT exempt m8 so whatevs.

those are some great shots especially the first one :) (I feel like that one will need replicating once she is on the road and has something resembling an A pillar/windscreen :) )

Like the pics!

Since I've been home, managed to get the air filter apart

attachicon.gifIMG_20190217_183652.jpg

quick wipe over with some Brasso and she'll be reet*  :mrgreen:

quick edit: has there been any more luck in regards to finding the reg via the chassis number?

(especially given we have a rough idea what it might start with on the V5 thanks to DW checking his  :) either INV or 1NV )

attachicon.gif20190217_130851.jpg

attachicon.gif20190217_130616.jpg

attachicon.gif20190217_142436.jpg

A rattlegun may be the answer to the plug, shock/impulse being more use than brute force, especially if the cylinder head is heated beforehand; similarly an air hammer applied to the seat securing pin may yield results if goop doesn't give results.