So, need a sensible work runner. Pref diesel. Would like it to be nice. Have no inspiration at all

pauldoubleyou

SEAT Ibiza - Leon FR 1.9 turbo diesel 6 speed 130 (even slightly tweeked to 170) will poodle along gently in traffic at the torque end of rev range with no right foot action and give 60+ mpg then keep up 120mph on private roads - week end trips to October Fest. Just need to do regular oil changes.

ZT/75 is probably a good call. I've had both from this very forum and they're nice places to be. I'm a grandad so I prefer the Rover. Both of mine were V6s and manual and if I had another I'd never touch manual, the clutch is awfully heavy. But a V6 auto would be lovely.....

Mine's alright (ZTT 2.5 V6 manual) but the previous owner had the clutch replaced, so that's probably why. I've not tried an auto or a 75 though, may have to be on the lookout.

Many Octavias had mechanical IPs through the first half of the 2000s, they're dull but economical and reliable. A V70 is a better place to be but better suited to longer journeys.

Watch out for sticking VNTs on all modern diesels. An Audi 80 will still be passing MoTs when all the 2000- tat is crushed, they ride better than many a larger more modern thing too. Because 1986 and all that.

A thousand quid diesel. My question is what are your expectations of how long it’ll last. If your one of these who liked the idea of refurbishing it and spending money on tidying it up etc I’d stay at home. I’d say change oil and clean out EGR etc and leave it at that. Don’t go spending silly on it, you’ll regret it when it goes bang. Then just run it till it blows. Ignore all the casualties that ‘just need this that and the other’, they’re bollocksed and they know it. Find something that starts and runs smooth and give it some cosh to check for smoking and cutting out.

Finally when it starts giving you trouble give it a one way ticket.

I would say if you want a diesel work hack get something french!

Anything with an HDi 90 DW10 8 valve in it would do.

There are loads about sub £600 and they really do seem to be reliable even at high mileage .... But then I would say that being a serial french car fondler.

I love my Picasso 90 and it never really gives me any trouble, parts are dirt cheap and even if you explode the turbo you can replace for £40. No dmf, fap, dpf .... Minimal electronic engine parts too across the whole range

So I’m really struggling.

I need a work / weekend runabout for the hefty price of under a grand. “But there’s loads to choose from!” I hear you say.

There is, but I just feel so uninspired by the dull and boring selection of more modern saloons and estates. I’ve been looking at ones around the 04-06 range and diesel.

More points for auto, more points for cruise and a sunroof.

It’s all just so.. dull.

Pretty please no Vauxhall’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right you fucker. I have the same requirement if i get the contract that I was interviewed for yesterday.

I will.be comuting 450 to 600.miles a week and a 208k 3.2 petrol which can see 31 mpg if driven carefully might not be the thing.

I'm thinking Cadillac Catera or Opel Omega

Or the UK badged version of the German built barge in Deisel form.

So why not an omega 2.5 or 2.2 diesel with auto and cruise ???

The 2.5 is a BMW engine, but haven't heard anything bad about them. The 2.2 is Vauxhalls own, but a million mini cab drivers in a vectra can't be wrong.

But then I saw a lively 3.2 petrol elite on eBay and thought That wants LPG ing.

Which might double the cost of your budget.

This is auto shite and I have all.the answers to

I want a diesel but no vauxhall and under a grand.

Lpg/ petrol 3.2 V6 Vauxhall which will cost £2k once converted.

Right so i thought i would update on the choice for this, i didnt do a collection thread as its not that interesting. 

The winner was a 56 plate Peugeot 306sw SE. 2.0 HDI, range topper, glass roof, every electrical gizmo included, FSH, 10 months test, and suprisingly good. I managed to knock him down from £750 to £700 as it needs an aux tensioner (noisy) and also its got a warning for the FAP additive being low. 

I have the cable for these and should be able to reset the warnings. It is -suprisingly- nice and wafty. Well built, loads of cubby holes and gizmos, 6 speed, and averages 50mpg. 

Stock pick

$_86.JPG

Plus i think it looks newer than it is. I also think it looks more expensive than £700.

Raises sheild in defence of French car industry //

That’s what my tensioner was doing, it was jumping up and down like a good ‘un. Try and rotate the fan inside the alternator using a screw driver. You should be able to make it free wheel one way. If not the bearing has gone.

Or pop the belt off if you’re not sure and then try turning the pulley.