For Sale: Volvo V70 Tdi 1999, manual gearbox £850

garethj

It's time to stop dilly-dallying and leap into action like the strong, decisive bloke I am. Errr, probably.

I bought this in November 2015 when it had 135k on the clock. My reasons for purchase were:

• Phase 1 V70s are the most reliable, or at least the simplest of the front wheel drive cars. Maybe the 850s are better but there are so few around (I don't live in Scotland) that they're rarely up for sale.
  • The diesel does OMGMPG
  • The manual diesel does OMGMPG!!1!
None of that has really changed. My commute is 55 miles a day which is fine because it does about 52mpg. Fuel tank range is 700 miles so I don't have to stand around on a draughty forecourt too often.

It's reliable, really reliable. While it's easily the oldest car in the company car park it's only ever failed to start once, never failed to get me home and I've happily let my other half drive it to France with the children knowing that they wouldn't have to worry.

It's now got 190k on the clock but if you check out the MoT history I'm sure the tester read the odometer wrong a couple of years ago so the mileage dropped by about 60k only to go back up by 80k the following year. I'm pretty sure the mileage is genuine.

I've had the cambelt and injector pump belt done, timing was set up by a Volvo dealership once they dusted off a bloke who could work the equipment. It runs very well. The outside is in fair condition, the inside is ok except for the centre armrest which has lost it's fake leather in patches. Seats are cloth, not leather.

As this is Autoshite I can tell you exactly what's wrong with it so you can buy with confidence.

Rear washer doesn't work

Driver's side window doesn't work

Driver's side heated mirror doesn't work

When the weather's very cold it sometimes doesn't start on the first crank of the key, turn it on again until the glowplug light comes on and it always fires up.

One headlight has the chrome which is a bit dull. The other one I replaced a year or two ago.

The engine management light comes on occasionally but as it needs a service, I think that's the reason. The little orange light on these isn't the doom-mongering it is on other cars. Here it simply means "something has gone wrong and we're working to fix it" and a day later it's gone out. It definitely needs a service though.

Front tyres are wearing out the outer edges, will probably needs replacing in a few thousand miles. It's got GoodYears all round.

The heater takes ages to warm up although the temperature gauge is bang on. They all do that, sir.

Wanna see how it looks?

IMG_20151127_185012_zpsytutqmox.jpg

_86_zpssgwsxwoq.jpg

_86_zps1chit6lt.jpg

_86_zps0hiluodr.jpg

_86_zpsuff8vil0.jpg

The previous owner used to keep that awful yellow demister pad in there, I cleaned the inside of the windows properly and it doesn't mist up any more. It certainly doesn't let in water.

The heated seats work to keep you warm, the climate control works to keep you cool and the whole thing will keep going for years. If it wasn't for my eldest's imminent 17th birthday and the need for another car, I'd keep it. It's just brilliant at being a car but old enough to be interesting.

The stereo is fantastic, and you can plug your phone into it too.

I'm in Bedfordshire, just off junction 12 of the M1. It's got about 8 months MoT on it and I'm after £850. Ta :)

Well no need to say good luck it seems, however what I will say is that one of the many reasons why I enjoy this site is the sales adverts actually listing faults with the car. Obviously they're not future proof but again another benefit here is folks know that a car is a continual game of keepy uppy.

If anything cars here seem to not sell if it's actually fully working with zero faults. Maybe that's a lesson to be learned for the Single and Sad thread, with profiles on the dating sites listed as a projects with all the quirks, might save people a lot of time.

Not sure where I'm going with this so, nice car m9.

Well no need to say good luck it seems, however what I will say is that one of the many reasons why I enjoy this site is the sales adverts actually listing faults with the car. Obviously they're not future proof but again another benefit here is folks know that a car is a continual game of keepy uppy.

If anything cars here seem to not sell if it's actually fully working with zero faults. Maybe that's a lesson to be learned for the Single and Sad thread, with profiles on the dating sites listed as a projects with all the quirks, might save people a lot of time.

Not sure where I'm going with this so, nice car m9.

This is very true.

I bought my SEAT Ibiza Cupra off Facebook years ago. I did a little deal with a mk1 Mondeo TD which had a few very small niggles but I'd driven it down from Aberdeen the previous night so it wasn't really anything major. I disclosed all the faults.

Lad selling the was a really nice kid, but there was a ton of stuff wrong with it never mentioned in the advert which was annoying. The price was fair and they were only minor niggles but why not say? I could have easily turned up expecting a perfect car then walked away pissed off. Honesty really is the best policy.

Really like these Volvo's and came close to buying one 2 years ago apart from the seller was a prize dick head who kept sending me shitty texts and PM's yet never responding to the ones I sent him, thinks like " I need this sold today as I've got 5 people interested" then not responding to fix up a time. Refused to let me view on a Sunday without all the folding at hand, I explained I could get £500 on the day and leave as a deposit plus collect the next day, no response. Spidey senses were alerted and the sale aborted. Then get a load more shitty messages saying how I've messed him about and he was at a function or the like. Who cares, I don't want your car now after your shit attitude. Go away!!!

GLWT(easy)S.

Garethj - Top seller. Autoshite approved.

That's a spot on advert, and a spot on car.

The fact you've had the belts done 'should' REALLY help the sale, as not many garages know how to do these properly.

Spot on looking car, for spot on money.

Sadly I have a D5252T powered machine already, bloody good & strong engines.

But good luck with the sale.

That looks sweet. The manual TDi is the pick of the V70s for me, they use bugger all fuel & still go much quicker cross country then they've any right too.