1993 Peugeot 205CJ 1.4 Spears or Weldathon £200 NOW WITH ADDED RUST PICS

strangeangel

So, I gave up giving up trying to get the CJ to idle properly, and took it to the professionals for this and to get an MOT. As you can see, it didn't end well. A year sat on my driveway clearly hasn't helped:

post-19532-0-92258800-1548588010_thumb.jpg

I'm not prepared to spend this sort of money on a car that even I can see I've lost interest in, especially when the Citroen has announced it needs new radius arm bearings. It's a shame, because it's still a nice looking thing, and great fun on the odd day when it's not pissing down.

The hood and mechanism are good, and the oft-lost hood bag is present. The interior is nice, at some point the front seats (the original denim material used typically disintegrates) have been professionaly re-trimmed. I fitted a new rear window not long after getting the car - the old one cracked, and you couldn't see through it in any event. The cat was replaced at some point in my stewardship, along with two recent ditchfinders on the front, new coil, new throttle position sensor, HT leads and exhaust sensor.

There's a box of bits (ECU, throttle body etc.) with it, as well as a manual, a key and a V5. And a folder full of old bills etc. The battery was shagged and slung not long after the car was laid up, and I've had the DAB radio for the Citroen. If you were to bring a battery it would run and drive, but I wouldn't go far in it because on the way back from the test the already knackered brakes started sounding even worse, pulsing etc. like a pad had fallen out, possibly?

Pictures:

post-19532-0-17788300-1548588014_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-38488100-1548588016_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-41557800-1548588019_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-76408700-1548588021_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-83356000-1548588024_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-15190100-1548588028_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-98433500-1548588031_thumb.jpg

post-19532-0-98831300-1548588034_thumb.jpg

£200. Car is in HD8.

I'm not around much these days, so drop me a PM if you're interested. Cheers.

Oh shite, the bad bits.

1. That is dangerously close to me.

2. Cheap.

3. MGB ownership has taught me sparkly stick skills.

4. I've not owned the CJ version but my Junior had that trim.

5. It might fit in the drive.

6. Probably still have the HBOL somewhere.

The good bits.

1. Don't get paid for another week.

2. Have to get Mrs BMH's C3 through a test Monday week.

3. Please think of a reason to stop me buying this!!!

Oh shite, the bad bits.

1. That is dangerously close to me.

2. Cheap.

3. MGB ownership has taught me sparkly stick skills.

4. I've not owned the CJ version but my Junior had that trim.

5. It might fit in the drive.

6. Probably still have the HBOL somewhere.

The good bits.

1. Don't get paid for another week.

2. Have to get Mrs BMH's C3 through a test Monday week.

3. Please think of a reason to stop me buying this!!!

Solution:

Weigh in C3 and spend the money on a 205.

(Be careful, as this solution may end in divorce)

Do you know where the welding needed area is that is ‘dangerous’? Just wondering if it would be possible to stick new brakes on, then trade plate it back (I don’t have trade plates but will cross that bridge and all that).

Trade plates only allow you to drive a vehicle without tax IIRC. Given the MoT expired a year ago and the recent test included the dangerous bit, if you were to get stopped, you and whoever loaned you the plates are liable to be bending over a wall whilst the plod, VOSA and a local magistrate ream several extra aresholes into you.

Lift and shift really is the only 'legal' option.

Do you know where the welding needed area is that is ‘dangerous’?

Any possibility of photos of the rot? This is dangerously tempting.

Oh my days, love that. Did they suggest what the welding was likely to cost to do at all?

I don't have any ramps, but if there's time this weekend (and my dodgy back allows) I will get the inspection lamp and see what I can see.

Billy - they quoted £900 for everything. As the only other thing of note is the discs it sounds like a lot of welding...

Do you fancy delivering it to Bristol ?

Google where HD8 is and then take a wild guess.

Trade plates only allow you to drive a vehicle without tax IIRC. Given the MoT expired a year ago and the recent test included the dangerous bit, if you were to get stopped, you and whoever loaned you the plates are liable to be bending over a wall whilst the plod, VOSA and a local magistrate ream several extra aresholes into you.

Lift and shift really is the only 'legal' option.

Ah shit, that kills that option, back to square 1 :-(

I don't have any ramps, but if there's time this weekend (and my dodgy back allows) I will get the inspection lamp and see what I can see.

Billy - they quoted £900 for everything. As the only other thing of note is the discs it sounds like a lot of welding...

Google where HD8 is and then take a wild guess.

Ok I only asked

Right then... pictures of the rust as requested.

This is the NSR, back end of the sill just in front of the tyre:

post-19532-0-33331800-1549196150_thumb.jpg

And this is the OSR, roughly in the same place:

post-19532-0-38458800-1549196203_thumb.jpg

And this is the drivers floor. Looks to me like it's been cobbled before and has rotted through again:

post-19532-0-89599800-1549196302_thumb.jpg

There is also the matter of the radiator bracket, but it's cold out there and if this hasn't put you off I don't imagine that will be a deal breaker.

I have to say it doesn't look quite as apocalyptic as I was expecting based on the fail sheet.

Please somebody buy this.

Exactly. Mrs BMH waking up on Wednesday morning to find that the Mia Tui handbag she was expecting as a birthday pressie has been replaced by this would not bode well (despite last week's comments influenced by copious quantities of alcohol in Spain).

But, I'd certainly not want to see it bridged. Many things depend on 1.00pm tomorrow and what the MoT station says about her C3.