Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

I drove this about 30 yards today.  Just shifting it around outside the house.  I love the sound of it starting up and I love driving it, even if its a few yards.  Its a mobile juxtaposition.  It looks and feels modern and new, but with the engine running out on the road it feels much older and longly basted in deep use and developed character. 

I'm probably going to turn into an awful s70 bore I'm afraid as I really like the thing.

Did I mention it also shifts?

It shifts.

Theres nothing not to like from where I'm sitting.  Which is hopefully for a long time and behind the wheel.

I drove this about 30 yards today. Just shifting it around outside the house. I love the sound of it starting up and I love driving it, even if its a few yards. Its a mobile juxtaposition. It looks and feels modern and new, but with the engine running out on the road it feels much older and longly basted in deep use and developed character.

I'm probably going to turn into an awful s70 bore I'm afraid as I really like the thing.

Did I mention it also shifts?

It shifts.

Theres nothing not to like from where I'm sitting. Which is hopefully for a long time and behind the wheel.

I drove one of the very first ones of these when the council used to run a drive it day with the car leasing company but that's a story for another day..

I loved it and thought it was a brilliant drive, loads of go, really free reving which was really unusual for diesels at the time, also handled really well for its size, my mate who had a Xantia at the time hated it..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Glad to hear this one's winning your affections Jim

There's something about a big Volvo that give's an enormous sense of well-being (But you know this already having owned them in the past IIRC?)

Unbelievably I still really like my 940 in spite of all the bother it's caused. This is the first one I've had and despite it being a bit of a pain at times I love it, Stockholm syndrome maybe...

I was thinking about it this morning and after applying some strange hung over logic to it I decided it actually fulfils three roles... It's a comfortable/luxury family tourer, a quasi 'modern classic' yo, it's also a van that ferries doors/furniture back to the house and vast amounts rubbish to the tip too... Three cars for the price of one! If it was't for the perpetual water ingress, intermittent coolant ingress and multiple esoteric running issues it would be perfect. The fact that I've forgiven it these sins and continue to devote time and drive space to it makes it clear that there must be something special about them.

A quick rub over with super resin polish, a layer of soapy wax and that paint will look grand I recon.

Looks like you've got yourself a little investment there JB.

Cop for the price of this one:

post-5359-0-69436000-1555846201_thumb.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S70-TDI/283457055565?hash=item41ff5b6b4d:g:ti0AAOSwBG9cXzjf

The saloons are getting quite rare now, so have a bit of a think before you kick this one into touch.

Interesting fact.

Car only came with the one key.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190418_174855.jpg

Just looks like a normal key I thought. And it's pre-millenium. I'll just get another key cut.

And I did.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190418_183802.jpg

Then I got a surprise. The new key unlocks the doors, boot, glove box, and operates the ignition, but won't start the car. It'll spin but won't catch. So guessing there actually is a transponder in the key and the car is witholding fuel?

Shame like. But interesting to know.

Gosh, that original key looks like those pebbles you see on the beach that have been 'washed' round at the edges. Replacement= a decent plan I recon.

Meanwhile 4 days with no updates.... Wagwan?

Looks like you've got yourself a little investment there JB.

Cop for the price of this one:

attachicon.gifwhite s70.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S70-TDI/283457055565?hash=item41ff5b6b4d:g:ti0AAOSwBG9cXzjf

The saloons are getting quite rare now, so have a bit of a think before you kick this one into touch.

Yeah there's not many left it seems so values on the up. I paid a lot by my standards, but not that much!!

post-5435-0-25834800-1556452802_thumb.jpg

Gosh, that original key looks like those pebbles you see on the beach that have been 'washed'.

Meanwhile 4 days with no updates.... Wagwan?

I've not been even able to get another key cut so far. None of the usual places I go to can code one. It may require a further trip to the stealers.

post-5435-0-53184600-1556452991_thumb.jpg

And if you do THIS......

post-5435-0-02262100-1556453187_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-93857200-1556453208_thumb.jpg

You can definitely get four of THESE in the back and still leave room for the big shop.

post-5435-0-39002500-1556453262_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-14870300-1556453280_thumb.jpg

There's nothing really wrong with the standard 15s that are on the car, but a set of 16 inch T5 perfos? Popped up on eBay local to me. They've recently been refurbed and have nearly new Hamkooks (or whatever you call them) fitted so that would be an upgrade from the fitchfinders it's currently shod in.

post-5435-0-49175600-1556453464_thumb.jpg

You'll be coming off then.

One of the few things the car lacked was a cup holder. I took the advice of a helpful shitter and grabbed one of these. Fits ok in the seat crevice but blocks the hand break lever a bit. Sits well in the rear seat pocket too so there's more than enough options for transportation of wake up juice.

Before.

post-5435-0-83678300-1556454166_thumb.jpg

After.

post-5435-0-28287200-1556454187_thumb.jpg

Even more afterer.

post-5435-0-17272100-1556454212_thumb.jpg

The wiper blades were "past peak performance" so I had a run down to Halfords then ECP.

post-5435-0-05403100-1556454341_thumb.jpg

Halfords for some wiper blades and ECP for some service essentials as there was a 50% Easter sale on. Even blagged some free screenwash as I watched the counter while the counter lady popped out for a quick fag.

post-5435-0-05665100-1556454506_thumb.jpg

So next up is a good service and wheel swap.

All in all its been ferrying us round without fault or complaint. There's been about 300 miles covered in it so far and the RANGE CALCULATOR O TRON reckons with a fair wind and crossed legs, there'll be another 300 miles to go till next fill up.

Impressions thus far are that I could only like it more if it was yellow.

post-5435-0-45289200-1556454808_thumb.jpg

It drives like I would expect a van to drive. It does feel (and sound!) Like you're piloting something large and heavy. The steering is very light though, perhaps too light. Brakes are more than adequate and feel sharp. Had a couple of brown trouser incident where folk have pulled out from junctions without looking and I've had to slam the wanker anchors on and she pulls up reassuringly well in a pinch.

It rides like a nice old Volvo should and eats up bumps and holes pretty well. Visibility is ok all round but the missus doesn't like the lack of a rear wiper. I don't mind as I just pretend is a van if rearward vision is less that perfect. The seats are supreme in their comfort and plushness and even the dog enjoys having a lie down in the back. She usually likes to stay standing in vehicles of lesser comfort.

The stereo is good and booms out Radio 2 with more than acceptable quality. I'm thinking about getting one of those Pure Highway Dab boxes as I really miss the Dab in the SLK.

The boot is massive and with the back seats down you could haul a decent amount of tats.

Gearbox seems ratio'd for making progress rather than cruising, which suits me well. It's comfy enough on the motorway but just feels like it could do with a sixth cog. I might just be spoiled from driving six speeds though.

She can pick up her pettycoats and jog on when you poke the loud pedal and it 5 pot sounds amazing on full chat.

All in all, I'm over the moon with it still and shall probs keep it. (insert the rolling of eyes here).