Freelander

95 quid Peugeot

Mrs 95 has expressed her wish for another Gaylander.

TD4

Manual or auto OK. However if auto needs to be in lower VED

All propshafts running as 4wd

Not fussed about paintwork

Not fussed about windows going up and down. (Well apart from drivers)

Not fussed about sunroof working

Happy as outright purchase or px V70XC or C5 HDI estate

Slightly off-topic, but I've seen the whole 'propshaft removed for economy' giggles multiple times whenever Freelanders are mentioned on these pages - what's the deal with these?

Is the drivetrain just made of cheese, or are they a total pig to replace when they wear out? Just curious, as I do have a sneaking regard for these.

Best of luck with the hunt, nonetheless!

They have a viscous coupling on the rear propshaft, the fluid inside hardens with age and over drives the back wheels, causing the to wind up around tight corners.

A refurbished VCU is over £300 plus fitting.

Plus the early ones had a slightly different diff ratio at each end which made this worse.

There are a nice place to be, but whoever decided on using the VCU needs shooting.....

Got a bad flat/puncture on mine and the tyre could not be repaired.

Need matching tyres/tread or the VCU throws a wobbler. All four on mine were matching, but could not find any Nexon N6000's anywhere. So would have been looking at about £300 for new tyres all round.

Eventually found a matching used N6000 with the same tread depth, so that;s now on the car and will be in use again just before the OMG Snow Chaos next week.....

That and the rear tailgate not opening,,, but that's another story.

Really?  I'd never heard that before.  What on Earth was the reasoning behind that?

They thought that it improved the handling.

However it resulted in lots of IRDs getting broken.

Later models had a much lower failure rate of IRDs.

My wife has a TD4 and I quite like it.  I also have a 1.8 petrol on loan from a friend (he wants to sell it actually).  The big difference I noticed is that the clutch is nicer on the TD4.  That said SWMBOs one got a brand new solid flywheel conversion, centre plate, metal slave cylinder and new master cylinder fairly recently.

The TD4 had a DMF and Getrag gearbox whereas the 1.8 has a normal flywheel and PG1.

SWMBOs one started making a horrid knocking noise recently and I found that the bearings on the VCU had gone, and so the propshaft is currently in the boot.  I need to send off the VCU to be tested, probably reconditioned and new bearings fitted.  Probably I will manage this the day after the only day of snow that we get this year.

SWMBO loves it so it's not for sale.