Rotten cars

Bren

Just watched a video of some Russians putting sills and rear arch repair panels on a mk 3 granada. The rear spring hangers had also been rebuilt but the chassis legs were a mix of rot and patches.

The rustiest car I ever saw was a mk 3 granada - rotten everywhere- even the housing for the washer bottle for the rear wiper had gone. The car had been owned by P&O and had spent a lot of its life at various ports.

My C reg SD1 vitesse was going everywhere - strut tops, wings, even the roof. Likewise the VDP EFi I have now though mercifully the front bulkhead / windscreen scuttle / roof are sound. If you are in the market for a good SD1 check these areas - if they are going leave well alone.

The royale I owned in 1989 was absolutely fucked at ten years old - strut tops/ sills / rear valance all gone. I had the strut tops done but then a transit hit it up the arse - the rear lights did'nt even crack. The rest of the car should have been made out of the same stuff.

My late in laws granada has had a couple of repairs on the sills but nothing else - it has been garaged since it was two years old hence the lack of rot. I will but a couple of sills and cut the sections I need - same with the rear arches.

Generally unless its a ka/mazda/focus its electrical/mechanical iss

ues that kills them off.

This is what my e39 sill looked like under the cover. 

post-17633-0-88111400-1548189966_thumb.jpg

post-17633-0-96168400-1548190058_thumb.jpg

I patched it without replacing the jacking points, it was less chew to buy a £21.99 Halfords trolley jack. The other side sill covers are  long gone and the sills are much better  though April 12 may say differently.

Edit. The car is Jan 1999 with 269k  and has had a beating so I don't feel badly done to.

My disco 1 is the most rotten pile of shit ever. It’s had more welding than anything I know. Both front inner wings, floors, boot floor, rear arches, rear quarters, both sills, rear crossmember and body mounts. I had to repair the drivers footwell last year for MOT as the patch that had been welded in had rotted out again. Fucking rediculous.

post-17429-0-27607800-1548194519_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-89647200-1548194644_thumb.jpeg

The royale I owned in 1989 was absolutely fucked at ten years old - strut tops/ sills / rear valance all gone. I had the strut tops done but then a transit hit it up the arse - the rear lights did'nt even crack. The rest of the car should have been made out of the same stuff.

I can well believe that. There's fist sized holes in the rear valance on mine, the front valance and wings are full of filler and the strut tops are starting to go. The sills arent too bad to be fair but they have been welded before. Double skinned panels, massive rust traps and zero rust proofing meant most of these big Vauxhalls dissolved years ago.

Biggest problem with them is parts availability - they are still cheap compared to the competitors and the spares situation is pretty dire for them, especially for panels. I'd love to put a rear valance on mine if I could find one.

I suppose it has just about made it to 40 years old so perhaps I should cut it a little slack..

My disco 1 is the most rotten pile of shit ever. It’s had more welding than anything I know. Both front inner wings, floors, boot floor, rear arches, rear quarters, both sills, rear crossmember and body mounts. I had to repair the drivers footwell last year for MOT as the patch that had been welded in had rotted out again. Fucking rediculous.

They all do that sir,

I can confirm that it's the most hateful shitpile

My last Disco, had at least 3 lenient* MOTs before I admitted defeat and sold it to a mate who was going to bobtail it.

I saw him a couple of weeks later and asked him how he was getting on. Apparently it was so rotten all that could be used was the engine and box.

I see it as getting maximum use out of the vehicle.

By contrast a very early G reg V8 3 door I had is still burbling around and never even had a boot floor, the guy who's had it for the last 15 years has promised me first refusal, not that I'll be able to afford it the way prices are going.

Yup Discos can go badly.  I think, as said, the earlier the better.  Also, don't allow them to get muddy.  Or damp :D

Having said that, I have a 1994 300TDi that's never been welded and still doesn't need any.  Ish.  It was a London car for most of its life though, and doesn't have sunroofs (which helps a lot).

It's a shame because I think they're excellent do-anything vehicles.

Yup Discos can go badly. I think, as said, the earlier the better. Also, don't allow them to get muddy. Or damp :D

Having said that, I have a 1994 300TDi that's never been welded and still doesn't need any. Ish. It was a London car for most of its life though, and doesn't have sunroofs (which helps a lot).

It's a shame because I think they're excellent do-anything vehicles.

That’s a rare one then. Never welded or need any? I simply don’t believe it! Lol. Mines got twin sunroofs which I’ve taped up. Still gets wet inside. It’s horrendous. But it’s an off-roader. Which is what it’s supposed to do.

I tried to buy a Royale coupe in about 1983, so it can't have been that old. It was that metallic gold/green colour and had lovely velour. And hardly any sill left.

I remember being asked to look see if I could find why the footwells in an 82 Alfasud where all ways soaked !

After some basic checks I looked up behind dash,where the bulkhead/scuttle/innerwing met was a fist sized hole that tapered in each direction approximately 6 ins! At the time it was 5 years old & a common occurrence on them.

1990 XJS currently on ebay, being sold for spares.

The paint's struggling to keep this one together. Looks like it's been rusty for a long time too.

Tip of the iceberg, etc.

Brush and shovel.

gfuDuSp.jpg

jbIT2PP.jpg

5xYQhPu.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Xjs-V12-LPG/264156734180?redirect=mobile

Around 1992 a mate had a cheap 87 Montego 1.6L and the front doors were already much like the one on this Jag. You could poke holes through the rust bubbles with a biro pen and big flakes of crumbly rust would just break off it.

An ex-company car, probably never been washed ever, bought at the Aberdeen auctions. Underside crusty, leaked petrol from pinholed tank, mouldy stinking carpets. It went to the crusher in 93.

Mine has 2 weeks left to live. I have nowhere to weld it and the amount it needs is too expensive in labour to get done.

A few months back as i was pulling away, there was a loud bang from the back, further inspection shows it was its arse collapsing as the rear cross member imploded due to corrosion.

35077475_10155718149020669_2020367240402

35227328_10155718149065669_4082021262686

35078670_10155718149150669_8768094688751

35051281_10155718149160669_1474570166590

This is what my e39 sill looked like under the cover. 

attachicon.gifrust 026.JPG

attachicon.gifrust 028.JPG

I patched it without replacing the jacking points, it was less chew to buy a £21.99 Halfords trolley jack. The other side sill covers are  long gone and the sills are much better  though April 12 may say differently.

Edit. The car is Jan 1999 with 269k  and has had a beating so I don't feel badly done to.

Im fucking terrified of taking the sill covers off mine tbf.. Mines a 97 and on 104k so not really leggy and ive SORn'ed it in winter for a few years running now, But scared shitless of whats lurking or not this summer is the time mine have got to come off!

I welded at college but i havent done it for a few years mind.. this summer im getting a MIG setup and some decent axle stands as i FUCKING HATE NEW CARS (except smol suzukis) and i love my E39 more than i ever would any bird, and i plan to try and keep it from being swept up ;)

Spike did you refit the covers after welding mate? or just toss them?

1990 XJS currently on ebay, being sold for spares.

The paint's struggling to keep this one together. Looks like it's been rusty for a long time too.

Tip of the iceberg, etc.

Brush and shovel.

gfuDuSp.jpg

jbIT2PP.jpg

5xYQhPu.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Xjs-V12-LPG/264156734180?redirect=mobile

Around 1992 a mate had a cheap 87 Montego 1.6L and the front doors were much like the one on this Jag. You could poke holes through the rust bubbles with a biro pen and big flakes of crumbly rust would just break off it.

An ex-company car, probably never been washed ever, bought at the Aberdeen auctions. Underside crusty, leaked petrol from pinholed tank, mouldy stinking carpets. It went to the crusher in 93.

Just fucking scrap it! :P

(save the trim and the rimz tho!)

^ Being sold 'complete' for parts.

Am not 100% sure but they could be same rims as SD1 Vitesse.

Also as fitted to some xj6's i think?

They had a metallic red xjs in rimars scrapyard (grimsby).. Hands down the rustiest thing in the whole yard, utterly utterly hanging and seemingly held together by the paint like the one you posted! I couldn't get over the state of the floorpans!

I would spaff on a non rusty one but then again.. old jags!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: