Scimitar GTEs - Any good?

Pete-M

Because with wafting about in the P6 lately I've kind of got a silly urge to replace the T5 with something a bit less brilliant.I don't like the look of the SE4 Scimitar, but if I could find a good SE5 3.0 with overdrive I might just be tempted to go for one. Except for one thing. I've never driven one, and I don't want to be kicking myself for getting rid of the T5 and replacing it with some shite old fibreglass breakdown addict.Do they drive well enough to be used daily without causing tons of irritation? Do they handle? Are they a twats car?I just don't know. I love Capris, but they're mental money and I'd only want a 3.0S anyway. So the next best thing is a Scimitar - or is it?(Please note, I don't 'do' Jap tat, although I have a soft spot for the 2.8 Supra, but they're all either rusty or in Ireland aren't they?, so it's pointless suggesting a Jap as an alternative)

As a Capri substitute I can see one would make sense!

Capri V6 but less rust and less money.

I had a nose around this one last week:

Posted Image

Not sure it's my 'bag' at all, but certainly an intersting bit of kit. I can see that they should handle quite well: the V6 is mounted well back in the engine bay. They make a nice noise too!

If you feel it, do it - T5's are easily replaced if it's not as joyous as you hope.

(the one above is £1200 if you are interested)

Do they drive well enough to be used daily without causing tons of irritation? Do they handle? Are they a twats car?

I think you can use any car daily as long as it doesn't break down and you can get the windows to demist.I reckon a Scimitar would be more likely to leak, and wiping the screen every 30 seconds might get a bit boring.....Can you can sell it if you don't get on with it? I thought they were a bit slow to shift.

I love Capris, but they're mental money and I'd only want a 3.0S anyway. So the next best thing is a Scimitar - or is it?

Futuramic and I would say the Ginetta G26 (4 seater) or G31 (2+2) is better than a Capri but for less money, but the V6 doesn't fit under the bonnet.

I love Capris, but they're mental money and I'd only want a 3.0S anyway. So the next best thing is a Scimitar - or is it?

Futuramic and I would say the Ginetta G26 (4 seater) or G31 (2+2) is better than a Capri but for less money, but the V6 doesn't fit under the bonnet.
No V6, no point :-)

I hate scimitars, but not for any good quantifiable reason. I just think of horrible faded ill-matched paint that wont stick to the plastic properly, badly-fitting parts bin special interiors and unending electrical problems caused by previous halfwit owners trying to earth stuff through the placca body using bits of tin foil and washing machine parts.

As a Capri substitute I can see one would make sense!

Capri V6 but less rust and less money.

I had a nose around this one last week:

Posted Image

(the one above is £1200 if you are interested)

I have to say, I'd buy that one for the plate alone...

Scimitars..............TR5 with a Ford V6.........Electrics are a problem area, make sure it all works, there are dozens of earths to fuck up.Overheating problems are quite common, mainly due to shonky rads and the deflector plate being missing, fit an electric fan ASAP.Very narrow footwell, offset to the left, big feei? might be problematic.Hight, are you tall? are you big built? if so you may not find it a comfortable drive.Handling.....yes they do, but its old style handling :wink: leaks, yes they do, but generally not too badly.fuel tanks, rot like bastards, if its had a stainless steel replacment, then your ok.Exhaust...as above.Chassis....... outriggers rot faster than a speeding bullit, main rails are usually fine due to oil leaks from engine and box.Heaters can also be pish.trim is generally crap and cheap= fall apart.trunions.........replace them with the uprated version..........and keep the front suspension well greased.other than that they are a hoot to use :D

I've had a couplegreat cars - look brilliant however -not a relaxing drive - the gte is powerful and unrefined it will try and kill you! bewarealso:interior - avoid scruffy ones diffiult to re trim and not hard wearingif it pops out of gear avoid especially 2nd as it will nee a new boxcheck the mileage - due to glass fibre they can be tricky to verify with wear and tearif you are large go for an SE6a or b rather than a 5 as a bit wider.the 6b has a galvanised chassischeck overdrive works as it should

I'm personally not particulary keen on them, after seeing one go down the quarter mile in 19 seconds, my old 1600 beetle ran a 17.9, it just seemed a bit leisurely for a 3 litre V6. I don't particularly like how they look either.I have however just bought an XR4i Sierra, i guess that's about as near to a 2.8 Capri without the price tag! :D

It looks like i probably wrote off my Shitroen the other day (here's to hoping) so am probably going to be in the market for a new car with the insurance and totally love the styling of these 'Shooting Brakes' (what does that mean?). Dont need a modern for a 68 mile commute each day as i have changed jobs and only work 4 miles away from home. Been looking at these online over the weekend and do think they are very cheap. But are they so cheap for a reason?

wonderful!in terms of driving experience - GTEs are very much GT's they are long legged long geared cars which are more for A roads and motorway yomps than tight b road fun - but they are capable and are quick when you drive them properly - the idea is not to chage gear till you red line it - certainly a lot faster than 0-60 in 17s!!! more like around 9sno - it's a quick car if anything over powered due to the lack of weight on the rear axel be prepared for fun!

I'm personally not particulary keen on them, after seeing one go down the quarter mile in 19 seconds, my old 1600 beetle ran a 17.9, it just seemed a bit leisurely for a 3 litre V6. I don't particularly like how they look either.I have however just bought an XR4i Sierra, i guess that's about as near to a 2.8 Capri without the price tag! :D

I think that's what swayed me against one, when I looked at the stats... those 3.0 V6's really don't put out a lot of grunt for such a big lump, but still have 'hi-po' fuel consumption. Plus I think they are a bit 'beardy' from the owner demographic perspective, so not for me...

I'd stick with the Capri to be honest, although of the big engine ones, I expect only 2.8 Injections are remotely affordable these days. If you did go for a GTE, I'd get the latest you can afford, I understand they got better as they went on. Deffo galvanised chassis FTW - seen plenty of earlier ones in breakers yards with rotten chassis - often robbed of anything 1960s/1970s Ford related, not just the engine!

I've had 2, both autos. SE6 is a better car if you're on the large side, SE5 is a bit cramped, but once you get used to it, quite comfy. Steering is heavy, electrics need watching, fuel consumption isn't great. You can buy an absolute dog for bugger all, and really nice ones are £1500+. Finding one in the middle is tricky. Their survival rate is very good, considering the number of them built, they do suffer from overheating [easily cured] catching fire [fuel leaks, easily sorted], and electrical silliness [again, easily cured] Mechanical bits are tough, interiors are not. Chaasis outriggers are rot prone, although later ones are a lot better. Best compromise? SE5A with p/steering and overdrive, SE6 isn't as prett, or as quick [more weight] and I don't like the 2.8 Cologne lump. Ther's a lot of room under the bonnet for more "adventurous " engines, [Rover v8, smallblock Ford/Chevy, even seen a BMW straight six turbo dizzler fitted.