Is my car shite enough?

TheClutchBasketPodcast

Hi all,

I have been floating around here for ages but just signed up recently. I don't know if you would consider my car to shite enough to mix it with some of the shite on here. It's a 2001 Polo 6n2 1.0. In its favour are the following;

Pro's

1. Official top speed under 100 mph

2. 50 BHP from the factory

3. Super base model - Manual windows, manual non central locking. A cup holder was an option that it didn't come with!

4. Now has 141k miles on it and counting

5. Officially recorded 21.9 second quarter mile at 59mph at Santa Pod.

6. Probably worth about £600 and has been worth that for about the last 4 years. (it probably can't get any cheaper as it's a running vehicle)

Con's

1. German/properly made

2. Not rusty

3. Doesn't brake down

Interested to know if anyone else finds it endearing and if not, how many years until you think you would find it interesting. It's old enough to drink this year after it's 18th birthday!

Also, it would be interesting if people used this tread to debate other borderline shite cars.

And a typo in the title as well. That was a bit shite. Can a mod change it to read "is my car shite enough." ? Words aren't my strong point

If you edit your first post and click "more reply options" or whatever you can edit the title of a topic you've started.

Agree, jokes aside I am with you on the reliability of these old Polo’s! At that mileage I’d say it probably still has a lot of life in it too....

I bought it 13 years ago with 44k on it. Soon it will have 144k miles on the clock. That is going to be the best day ever! I am going to try to preserve it until people actually find it interesting.

It seems a bit like a mk2 fiesta. People love seeing them at cars shows now but 5/10 years ago, no one could care less. Maybe in 10 years, people will be getting excited about a 30 year old polo with 200k on the clock

Any original wheel trim fans on this forum?

Yup :-)

To answer your original question, if it’s cheap and most ‘normal’ people sneer at it then it pretty much qualifies. So yes.

You will find that the one thing regular folks see as its redeeming feature - being a Volkswagen - generates a fair amount of abuse on here, but not from all of us so please don’t pay it any mind.

For me personally it’s a bit new to spark much excitement, but we’re a broad church so welcome along.

Definitely props for dragging it down the quarter mile at the Pod. That’s the spirit.

I'm currently cursing the VW engine in my Skoda Felicia and wishing it had a proper Skoda engine in it. It's the 1.6 AEE which is an alloy head on an iron block and it's pissing oil everywhere. I thought the 1.0 and 1.4 were based on the same thing.

Anyway welcome along, that is a nice colour and, I think, the best shape Polo.

Hi all,

I have been floating around here for ages but just signed up recently. I don't know if you would consider my car to shite enough to mix it with some of the shite on here. It's a 2001 Polo 6n2 1.0. In its favour are the following;

Pro's

1. Official top speed under 100 mph

2. 50 BHP from the factory

3. Super base model - Manual windows, manual non central locking. A cup holder was an option that it didn't come with!

4. Now has 141k miles on it and counting

5. Officially recorded 21.9 second quarter mile at 59mph at Santa Pod.

6. Probably worth about £600 and has been worth that for about the last 4 years. (it probably can't get any cheaper as it's a running vehicle)

Con's

1. German/properly made

2. Not rusty

3. Doesn't brake down

Interested to know if anyone else finds it endearing and if not, how many years until you think you would find it interesting. It's old enough to drink this year after it's 18th birthday!

Also, it would be interesting if people used this tread to debate other borderline shite cars.

German/properly made! I've got 3 German cars lad, they are DEFO shite!!!!!

What skizzer said as well. Fair play for doing a 1/4 mile at santa pod. Bet that was brilliant fun! Why don't I live anywhere near anything like that

I bought the exact same model for my youngest sons first car back in June 2016 for £500, he still has it as his daily driver and it’s been bloody brilliant. Nothing has broken or fallen off and it just does the job, albeit rather slowly! We were doing it’s 6 monthly oil and filter service earlier today and it’s on a modest 120,000 miles and uses no oil or coolant between services, no rust anywhere either...