Westcountry nostalgia my dears!

bigstraight6

Three minutes and twenty-five seconds of pure pleasure!Fantastic!I'm guessing this is just prior to the big influx from Japanese manufacturers - I don't recall seeing any on the film?Renault 6 and 16 surprisingly well represented! Fiat 127 and 128 nice to see and the Simca 1000.Austin 3 litre was a treat. 'Bakers Bacon' wagon too.Thanks for that!

I'm going to have a punt on Thursday 19 April 1973. (ETA: ...at teatime. I rather suspect it was made for the 'Points West' section on 'Nationwide'!)As mentioned above, there are some L reg cars in the film - but not many, so my first thought was the August 1972 bank holiday. However, the presenter's first words are 'Given anything like fine weather tomorrow, main roads... will see the first seasonal migration' and later 'this annual invasion, beginning at about Easter...'. Using Google-power, I've found out that the 1973 Easter weekend was 20-23 April. At the end of the item, he predicts 'rain - all over the bank holiday'. According to this page, he was correct:

An area of rain moved south (in association with a discrete low in the English Channel) across the UK during the night of the 20th [Good Friday]/21st [saturday] and morning of the 21st (Saturday); the rain was heavy in some parts of southern England, with snow in places;

(Guess who is trying to put off going out Christmas shopping?)

Cracking! I would think by early '72 Datsun would have sold less than 10,000 cars nationally and the the other makes considerably less so it's no great suprise to not see any Japanese cars in that clip. What fantastic variety on the road then though. The age of the cars varies considerably.

Doesn't he go on? I'll let him off though as his sideburns are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and he obviously likes the term Grockle-though not sure if a tourist might take offence to being labled as such. Nice Rover P4 and Mini Countryman mind. Not enough men have big mutton chops IMHO