WBOD - sub 1000....

binhoker668

post-5335-0-24103000-1547823353_thumb.jpg

£500, MoT until Sept, folding rear seats and a factory roof rack for maximum practicality.  Brand new windscreen very recently and even though it's a 1400 K series, the OMGHGF is not a concern because I've spunked a crapload of new parts and money at the thing.  Has taken me from Stockton to Maidstone and back on a regular basis without fault.  Comes with a bunch of spares that you won't need.  Electric front windows and sunroof, PAS, ABS, airbag, etc. it's practically a modern car.  Astonishingly excellent heater too.

I was looking at that - it's the MPG that worries me mostly.  Very short MOT too.  Does look great though.

In the couple of tanks I've used I got 30mpg. Mainly country roads, spirited driving.

If I've still got it when the MOT left is under 1 month then I'll stick it in for another, I honestly don't think it will need anything.

I've still got the 205TD as well, longer MOT and better mpgs (I've not calculated them) but it's a bit smaller.

I used to get pretty hung up on OMGMPG too, but I do now try to take a holistic view.

The three Lagunae were a good bit thirstier than the preceding Alfa 156 JTD, but then KAZ, UKZ and TAZ cost me a grand total of £370 in overall purchase costs - and I got four years of motoring out of them. The Alfa cost me £1500 and died expensively within 9 months.

The Forester Turbo returns me around 30mpg, and I honestly don't think it's any worse than the Renners were (for both Subaru and Renaults, £60 pez = 300 miles approx). It also appears to make very little difference whether I pootle everywhere at a crawl, or blast it over the hills like a tarmac stage.

I would tend towards the (probably bollocks) view that the more MPG-boosting wizardry squeezed into an engine, the greater the chances of it going pop (obviously XTriple's Bentley falls into its own special category).

TL;DR - get 'er bought, big lad. She'll part out for more than the asking, if anything goes massively wrong.

post-17915-0-82527600-1547823534_thumb.jpg

OR - c'mon over to Ballyclare. The number of sub £200 cars going through the auction the other night was nuts.

I would tend towards the (probably bollocks) view that the more MPG-boosting wizardry squeezed into an engine, the greater the chances of it going pop (obviously XTriple's Bentley falls into its own special category).

Absolutely! Better something underdressed and simple that does 30 mpg, then some eco thing riddled with electronics that does 40, and spits it's dummy expensively.....and for a grand , you'll probably be looking at some small engined eco box that's been Kevin or Tracey's "first car", and been driven accordingly..........That Subaru, or Mr Vulg's Rover are a far better bet.........I'd also buy petrol, not diesel powered.

PS I speak with experience of owning a Turbot version which cost realistically nothing over the 5 years of ownership.

Had it not been for massive financial hardship she would never have been sold. Such capable cars.

Trouble is to get one as nice as my old one (nothing special just nice and clean, low miles, manual, very much a base spec/lightweight parts) was would cost £3k to £5k now.

Too many put through hedges/blown up running on Asda 95ron by chav owners with WRC stickers all over them about 10-15 years ago means the ones left command a premium.

TBF a grand is going to get you a modern car, there's plenty about at this price (plenty of fucked ones also) 

I love sub £500 cars myself as you don't have to worry to much about them plus while scrap is decent you're not losing to much. +1 for the Subaru, or the rover. 

MPG's is always a tough one. current pug is doing 45.5 knocking about, 55-60+ on a run. plus it's only £30/year tax.