‘Project Salvo’ Fiat Tipo 16V

si1881

These are great, my mum still reckons her 1.6dgt is the best car she's ever had. If only she knew the way it was driven when I borrowed it. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road, I think I see more Uno's. Good luck with all that welding, if you can't weld now then you will be able to soon!

I reckon Vulgalour has a hot tip for removing that black sticky stuff, hopefully he'll be along shortly to tell you.

• 5 weeks later...

Not much of an update on the white Tipo but have found a scary amount of loose metal / hole on the daily one in the rear wheel arch liner. It’s due it’s MOT in just over a week... it’s not structural (I think) but have a horrible feeling it’s not going to pass!

post-27066-0-01896300-1550352223_thumb.jpegpost-27066-0-45891700-1550352248_thumb.jpeg

Compared to the other side...

post-27066-0-48283200-1550352282_thumb.jpeg

That is where mine is a bit crusty.  I'll inspect it more thoroughly when the weather improves.  Until then, Dynax 50 is being sprayed on every week or two.  The MOT man did not like it but we pointed out that it was not structural or near suspension or seat belt anchorage points and he had already made a good list of failure points - all now fixed.  A lot of testers are unused to seeing elderly cars with their inevitable crusty bits. Many much more recent cars look immaculate underneath but fail beyond economic repair because emissions are outside limits and/or warning lights won't extinguish. Good luck with the MOT.  

• 1 month later...

So a bit of an update.

The blue Tipo did fail the MOT on rust, but not the bit I found... £60 to the welder/farmyard/dump up the road and sorted. Plus another new catalyst on warranty to get it through the emissions. They only seem to last 12 months but give you a two year warranty to let’s see what happens next year (if it lasts that long...).

post-27066-0-35350300-1554385760_thumb.jpeg

The white 16V has had a bit of progress with me attacking (literally) with a welder. As very much a novice I’ve been practicing on lots of spare sheet metal and thought I’d got the hang of it. On the paper thin (god knows what gauge metal they used) rear inner arches - not so much so...! Plus it’s an awkward shape, with various curves and a strengthening rib/pressing in it.

Very small tack welds and then small tiny bursts work in some places, in others it blows through at the first touch!

Still at least something has happened. At this rate it may even get back on the road...

post-27066-0-98492200-1554385425_thumb.jpeg

post-27066-0-70029600-1554385439_thumb.jpeg

post-27066-0-63022000-1554385457_thumb.jpeg