le chod

Marm Toastsmith

So if you buy chod on french plates in the UK what's the score. Can you drive it home? Will normal insurance work? And then how does the re-registration process work, and how much does it cost.

It's this thing I want:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-van-LHD/223322380336

Obviously I shouldn't. Probably I won't. But maybe you guys can talk me into it, or out of it.

You will struggle with insurance as you are not supposed to drive a foreign registered car as a UK resident. It is a grey area and you would probably get away with getting it home. Once home declare a Nova as if you have just imported it leave it more than a couple of weeks and they will fine you. MOT it, insure on the chassis number then send all the paperwork to DVLA and you should get a V5 within a fortnight.

Firstly needs to have been Nova'd upon arrival (bit of leeway) in Britain or face a fine per day missed.

What if the vehicle has been in the UK, being driven by a foreign national for less than 6 months, and it is then sold. Does that then make the date of import the date of sale from the foriegn national to a UK resident?

Also, that 205 van, combined with parts from one of the seemingly unlimited supply of very cheap 205s on these pages to make it RHD would make a fabulous van. Personally, I'd shove an XUD11T engine in it for the LOLs, but that's a different issue!

What if the vehicle has been in the UK, being driven by a foreign national for less than 6 months, and it is then sold. Does that then make the date of import the date of sale from the foriegn national to a UK resident?

Also, that 205 van, combined with parts from one of the seemingly unlimited supply of very cheap 205s on these pages to make it RHD would make a fabulous van. Personally, I'd shove an XUD11T engine in it for the LOLs, but that's a different issue!

So as not to answer your question on basically personal import of a vehicle - there are guidelines/rules for the importation + registration and if you stay within them then it is relatively straightforward, as a responsible adult if you choose not to stay within the rules then that is your decision and any "world of pain" that causes. Nova is Her Maj Tax Person, you as a UK resident + taxpayer then need to discuss it with them so good luck with that,  having a vehicle which has never been registered in your name - you cannot (usually) have a UK address/owner on foreign registration documents (ZOLL plates excepted) - the previous owner will de-registered themself from the documents so you end up with nothing to say you are the official owner/importer and the vehicle is not stolen. The reg plates on German (and some other) vehicles belong to the owner not the vehicle so need to be removed and returned leaving the vehicle with no reg plates and the world of pain goes on. As for the paperwork involved in making an imported LHD to RHD and a different engine then insuring it probably a much bigger world of pain.

It is not impossible but you need to sort out how you are going to do it and for those who don't manage to sort it then the scrappy will also not be usually be interested in taking it if there is no relevant V5.

So the seller should do the NOVA bit before trying to sell?

Whoever imported it should of sorted the NOVA. It is easy enough to do and it's free unless you mess up when putting in the date of import, then it can get very expensive. I have delayed some of mine before on bikes which I didn't have a date of manufacture on and HMRC were ok about the delay as long as I had started the process within the 14 days.