Clayts' Rover 620Si - 27/1 400 miles two days, it's a good un

clayts450

Looks lovely! Rimmers have proper OE mats in beige going for £12 a set on their website if you want some.

Yes, that's the plan. I'll be doing a raid of their warehouse and going in person in a couple of weeks to avoid their nasty postage charges - only 40 miles away or so in (whispers) Lincolnshire. I need a fair few bits for the 214 including a front exhaust section which they also have cheap right now.

Great car though, whats the plan?

It'll be on fleet for a while, to act as motorway wafter for journeys down to Suffolk to see my parents. It'll also allow me, once I get a council garage (in about 2025), to SORN the 214 and do a proper resto on that. For now it's car number two, with the Streetshite still doing the local daily stuffywhatnot.

It has two month's ticket and I'll be doing my darnedest to get it through the test come the end of March.

First steps will be to give it a good servicing from top to bottom, and get to the bottom of the oil and power steering fluid leaks, the week after next when I'm off work (weather permitting as all outside for me, no comfy garage or car port here).

I had one of these in manual flavour about 12 years ago. It cost me £200 then so it's nice to see they've appreciated a bit

Lovely cars, though mine was the lowly 115bhp so not exactly quick but extremely comfortable, I would probably have another. Quite a classy big motor in it's day, but had multiple personality disorder - some days it felt very Honda, others very Rover. Odd. I would probably place it halfway between an R8 and a bubble 400 in terms of how Honda it felt.

Does yours have an electric retractable aeriel? I was quite impressed with that bit on mine.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

The car that keeps on giving. As well as the sumptuous carpet mats and the cushion in the cabin, the boot contained:

• not one but two 12v tyre inflators
  • an inflatable seat cushion
  • a steering lock with key - redeployed immediately on the 214
  • some Colourmagic stuff and touch up pens in BRG

A rudimentary check of the power steering leak identifies it is, of course, from the rack itself, so that's a job for next week to see if I can work out where it's from exactly and what fix, if any, can be done. Cardboard now lives under the car.

The ignition barrel is a pig and needs lots of wiggling to get it to work so I'll probably have that all out as well.

The fluids (apart from the power steering of course) are all good and the oil is pretty clean, but the whole lot will be serviced next week for peace of mind. 

Electric aerial works perfectly - up and down when the radio is turned on/off - super swish.

Love a quick fix - two new CR2016 batteries in the plipper and we now have a working perimetric alarm/immobiliser. No one round here would nick the 620 (never shit on your own doorstep, the benefit of living on a mainly Council estate), but it might make my insurers revise their thinking on their stupid renewal quote....

I'd try some PAS stop leak first, might save you changing the rack.

I've heard about this stuff - I wondered whether it's just snake oil - have you had any success with it ?

I think once I've got a better understanding exactly where the leak is from I can decide next steps.

There's a lot of sharing of parts between the Accord and the 600.

Excellent - well purchased. Here’s hoping the PAS leak turns out to be a reasonable fix.

Look forward to seeing it at the next Cannock meet?

So fickle, Tony - you twisted my arm to bring the Streetwise last time. But yes, I would like to show and tell it to the Midlands Massiv

I've heard about this stuff - I wondered whether it's just snake oil - have you had any success with it ?

I think once I've got a better understanding exactly where the leak is from I can decide next steps.

There's a lot of sharing of parts between the Accord and the 600.

Unfortunately not as the leak on my last 75's rack was just too severe for it to have much effect. If it's just a small leak it may be worth a try however.

Managed to get some time to jack her up and slide onto the cold ground to have a looksee at the power steering rack.

The good news is not's a leak on the rack itself. The bad news is it's on one of the very badly corroded metal pipes which are all but unobtanium these days. Obligatory potato cam shot

post-20951-0-95570700-1548090968_thumb.jpg

It's a steady drip drip drip leak when the engine's turning over, but not so bad when it's powered off.

So onto snake oil remedy number 1:

post-20951-0-48622000-1548090540_thumb.jpg

Bunged most of it in the reservoir, consistency of treacle. The proof will be in the soggy pudding, as it needs 100-200 miles to do it's thang. Still felt heavy after bleeding but after a little drive around it loosened up a bit but not massively.

Finally had time to tax the car today - couldn't do it online as the seller had inadvertantly 'sold' it to someone on eBay to get their tax refund, by changing the details online at DVLA, so the V5/C2 was invalid online. Old fashioned way of fill in a direct debit form and go to the Post Office. Seller has written to DVLA to advise them sale aborted and to issue a new V5 to me, but grabbed a V62 just in case.

Mechanically this car is rock solid - it starts first time, it goes, it's got some oomph and all's well in the engine bay for now. I will do some servicing bits this week, and fancy a drive over to The County That Shall Not Be Named to pick up some giffer trinkets, eg mats etc

Have now identified the part I need is deffo unobtainium, and to confuse matters further it turns out there are different versions of pipe assembly, dependant upon whether the car is an auto or manual 

post-20951-0-99068200-1548165951_thumb.png

There is one on eBay for £47 but they can't find a part number, so the only logical thing to do is strip mine down and then compare it to the smudgy photo on eBay to see if it's identical. Or just fucking leak PS fluid everywhere for now...two months till the MoT.

In other news, I've had all the wheels off to check brakes and also to look at the repeating upper arm dust cover advisories. The latter are all borderline, so I think I'll wing it for now before twatting about changing them all. Front brake pads are fine (as are the discs thank fuck - real ballache swapping these out on front wheels due to strange arrangement), rear brake pads probably could do with being changed so will add that to the list.

Three of the four tyres at Event GL697s, all good treads, poorly reviewed at Tyre Reviews. They'll do.

Cable ties now off the wheel trimz (looked shit), but I successfully broke one of the trimz so will have to put a cable tie back on that one. Probably.

Tomorrow, oil/filter change, air filter change and, weather permitting, rear brake pads.