Let’s go cruising, PT style...YeeHaw!

NorthernMonkey

Currently being chauffeured up the M6 whilst taking in the sumptuous comforts of heated leather and alcantara seats.

To all the haters out there, all I can say is don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it. Alright, the outside is a bit marmite but first impressions are of a pretty well thought out car.

Further updates tomorrow once it’s up on the two poster...the rattle is there on tickover but is nowhere near as intrusive as the video suggests and indeed disappears completely as soon as you touch the gas pedal (see what I did there?) and there’s a bit of rattle from a drop link over potholes but otherwise seems absolutely fine.

As my significantly better half has started a new temporary job for which she needs to commute and out of around the seven cars we own, only one is actually tested (and even that has a buggered gearbox) then the sensible* thing to do is go and buy another one.

#autoshitelife

#wifesaysgimmehcar

Ohh Huyton, home to two shiters of this parish one of which is me

It’s pretty nice where she is...it used to be even nicer until they built a bloody great housing estate right up to her field behind the house though. She’s currently in the middle of buying a farm in Ireland and moving over there.

Had one the first time I went to America in 2002 as I hire car, thought it was the coolest thing in the world looks wise.

It was even nippy and really good on fuel for a yank mobile.

Nothing wrong with them other than UK owners trying to over Americanise them with chrome shite.

That definitely won’t be happening here. The plan is just to run it as is for the moment then in the summer, look at converting it into a van for the garage, complete with forum friendly colour scheme ;-)

How you getting on with the gear changes ? Many comedy* errors to be had with wrong selections. Or maybe it's just my shit driving.

Yes, droplinks - rather like having Rolf Harris in the car with a wobbleboard....

I'll upload the workshop manuals somewhere and PM you the link - I raided them off the UK Cruisers website when I was a member. The Haynes included says nada about the CRDs as these never made it Stateside.

It does waft rather well, though, have to say - really enjoyed our last drive together yesterday.

How you getting on with the gear changes ? Many comedy* errors to be had with wrong selections. Or maybe it's just my shit driving.

Yes, droplinks - rather like having Rolf Harris in the car with a wobbleboard....

I'll upload the workshop manuals somewhere and PM you the link - I raided them off the UK Cruisers website when I was a member. The Haynes included says nada about the CRDs as these never made it Stateside.

It does waft rather well, though, have to say - really enjoyed our last drive together yesterday.

To be honest, I was expecting a lot worse. Reverse is a bit tricky to find the first time but once you get used to it, it seems fine.

Droplinks will be sorted tomorrow hopefully subject to parts availability along with a bigger battery then it’ll be handed over to its new custodian and I can have my Volvo back (to fix)

Links to manuals etc will be gratefully recieved :-)

If ever there was an incentive to fix that SAAB...

Just needs the rear arm bushes doing now then it's ready for testing.

The original single battery clamp thing is in the glove box along with the locking wheel nut key (in a jiffy bag) - that clamp will be useful if you go for an 096 (battery not Saab).

Brill. I'll investigate tomorrow...got plenty of batteries so one should fit.

Right. Sorted the rattle on tickover....

The air con pipe has broken off where it goes into the dryer and is resting up against the inner wing.

Needs a bit more than a regas, M8.

Fastened it back with 2p of cable tie and it ticks over nice and quietly now.

On the last test, it had an advisory for slight play in the near side bottom ball joint...it’s actually had a new bottom arm at that side in the past and there’s no play at all but the offside arm is the original and the ball joint is as loose as hell. New complete Delphi one will be here after lunch for £28+ vat so with a bit of luck, that should quieten everything down.

Time for a cuppa then we’ll have a look at the battery situation.

Right. Sorted the rattle on tickover....

The air con pipe has broken off where it goes into the dryer and is resting up against the inner wing.

Needs a bit more than a regas, M8.

Fastened it back with 2p of cable tie and it ticks over nice and quietly now.

Bloody hell, that was a cheap and quick fix - well done ! 

To be fair, I never lifted the front of the car up for anything, all my love went to the Rovers on the fleet. Glad it wasn't a ballache.