My first collection thread - lemon has landed :)

Flat4

Just phoned my mechanic who is fixing the pulley to see what the verdict was once he'd put it up on ramps for a good once over. It's rotten :( There are holes in one front sill near the inner wing and the other side isn't far behind it. Exhaust isn't in great shape either but both it and the suspect shock on the rear passenger side will pass an MOT, so that's a small plus.

Now waiting to get a quote for the welding to see if it's worth repairing :/ The rest of it is in pretty good shape so it's probably worth saving but depends if it's financially viable. Actually a bit gutted coz I was looking forward to hopefully having it back in time for a full week off work! Not looking likely now....

Clicked Like because theres no DO NOT LIKE button.

Fingers crossed its a cheap quote for a small amount of work.

What was I saying about that wing?

Kidding, I hope it's fairly straightforward to sort.

You jest but I could end up spending the purchase price again in welding so it might just get broken for bits to get my money back! Really don't want to do that tho coz it's a nice car that's been well cared for. It deserves a 2nd chance.

Doesn't sound too bad

Better weldy instead mechanicals - that CAN be £££

Take it to knockhill and upset scotoshite track massiv :lol:

I need my GTV back on the road before I go to Knockie. It's a manual and I've already upgraded brakes and suspension. The H6 is an auto but you can change gear in it so not completely out of the question, assuming the welding isn't crazy money. Would rather it was mechanicals tho coz tame mechanic can't weld! :P

Settle an argument tho - are we gonna need to strip wings, doors, carpets or seats to get a sill welded? I had Mondeos before Legacies and am pretty sure we never went to those lengths to patch the sills.

Better news on this at last - tame welder has had a look and reckons as long as we don't need to start replacing bits of sill, a couple of hundred quid should fix it :D Need to take the sill covers off to be absolutely sure but what he reckons has actually happened is some eejit has been jacking it in the wrong place regularly and it's either slipped off the jack at some point or at the very least as stripped all the anti-corrosion protection off it and hence it's rusted through. The hole is right at the top of the sill where it joins the floor so it's going to be a bastard to do because of the curves. The other side he reckons will last another 2-3 years before it needs done so I think one of the first jobs when it comes back is to get it undersealed again....What joy!

Least I can save it tho, and I'm told the rest of it is pretty sound, apart from the exhaust so that'll need a stainless at some point. Preferably one that makes it burble more ;) Even with all that, it could be worse. It'll still only owe me about half what it would cost to replace it, unless it flings any more surprises at me....

Better news on this at last - tame welder has had a look and reckons as long as we don't need to start replacing bits of sill, a couple of hundred quid should fix it :D Need to take the sill covers off to be absolutely sure but what he reckons has actually happened is some eejit has been jacking it in the wrong place regularly and it's either slipped off the jack at some point or at the very least as stripped all the anti-corrosion protection off it and hence it's rusted through. The hole is right at the top of the sill where it joins the floor so it's going to be a bastard to do because of the curves. The other side he reckons will last another 2-3 years before it needs done so I think one of the first jobs when it comes back is to get it undersealed again....What joy!

Least I can save it tho, and I'm told the rest of it is pretty sound, apart from the exhaust so that'll need a stainless at some point. Preferably one that makes it burble more ;) Even with all that, it could be worse. It'll still only owe me about half what it would cost to replace it, unless it flingsSubaru any more surprises at me....

You can get a full Gerlach exhaust for these on eBay for about £120. Fairly good reports on them. My Outback 3.0 has one and it's fine. If you go the stainless route make sure you ask about a resonator or it could get well boomy.

That's even better if an exhaust can be had that cheap, I was budgeting another £250ish for a stainless, probably more now I remember it's got 2 back boxes... Does the Outback version have twin tailpipes too?

L1 I feel similar about my twin turbos. I've had others but keep going back to them. I feel like I'm home behind the wheel of one of those. I did like the gen 3 H6 I had a loan of a few years ago. This one has a different gear box so I'm really curious to see if I gel with it. It's been a bit of a heart vs head purchase already.

Exactly the same system on the Outback 3.0.  A stainless will be at least £500,  There is a stainless on Gummy just now, not far from Glasgow, for £100. But seller says its for a 2.0 or 2.5, so the 4 cylinders. Not sure how tthe main system differs although up top obviouslyy 6 into 4 doesn't go.

Stick with this Gen 4 if you can. I've had 6 of them over the years, only the 3.0.  First one in 2009. Keep coming back to them. I genuinely believe they are the best engineered "moderns" you can get. Total quality throughout.

Think I've found the system you refer to on eBay, currently around £140 posted so still not as much as I thought it would be. This is the first Gen 4 I've had and the main reason I bought it, because a Gen 4 for the money I paid for it was utterly ridiculous! My twin turbos are Gen 2s, had a few normally aspirated Gen 3s but I reckon the H6 will do me until I can afford a Gen 3 twin turbo. That's next on the list but they same to be few and far between for a runner, for sensible money. I'll also still keep coming back to Subarus in general because they're so well engineered, probably over-engineered to compared to other marques but they're built to last.

• 4 weeks later...

Welding was completed today - 3 big plates required because of the joins but when everything was chipped back to reveal the full extent of the problem, that 1 hole in the sill where the jack has gone through it really is all that was needed. Apparently the inner wings, the rest of the sill and the floor pan don't even have any surface rust so here's hoping that's the last time it needs to see a welder.

It's come in slightly under budget too - £160 :) Going to visit it tomorrow to take it presents - genuine Scooby dog guard procured last week and giant boot mat courtesy of loserone and gm :) Thank you gents!

Next on the list is a fresh aux belt, measure up for a new grille, double check roof rail fitments for future purchase and dear Lord it needs floor mats before it goes into service. Cream interior and half a dozen dogs does not go!

Twin turbo version for me if I can find one in decent enough condition…. I only ever had a go of one - and it had been 'tweaked', instant love.

Glad the initial prognosis has proven to be manageable. Not too bad a deal to have it back for a couple of hundred plus exhaust.

Best of luck with the ongoing repairs.

Welding was completed today - 3 big plates required because of the joins but when everything was chipped back to reveal the full extent7 of the problem, that 1 hole in the sill where the jack has gone through it really is all that was needed. Apparently the inner wings, the rest of the sill and the floor pan don't even have any surface rust so here's hoping that's the last time it needs to see a welder.

It's come in slightly under budget too - £160 :) Going to visit it tomorrow to take it presents - genuine Scooby dog guard procured last week and giant boot mat courtesy of loserone and gm :) Thank you gents!

Next on the list is a fresh aux belt, measure up for a new grille, double check roof rail fitments for future purchase and dear Lord it needs floor mats before it goes into service. Cream interior and half a dozen dogs does not go!

If the aux belt you talk about is the serpentine belt then you should get the tensioners changed as well. There's 2 of them. I think about £150 for the 2. If your mechanic has a press you can actually buy the bearing inserts only for less than 20 quid I think it was when I had it done last year. I can try to find the bearing type if you need. The other thing to check is 3 metal water pipes which are situated on 3 sides more or less under the engine. These corrode and unless been done already are likely to be pretty ropey. That's a £185 hit from icp sadly. I know this as had to buy the bloody things for mine today. Mine not leaking-yet but are fairly crusty. Not cheap but better than losing all the coolant and frying the engine.

If the aux belt you talk about is the serpentine belt then you should get the tensioners changed as well. There's 2 of them. I think about £150 for the 2. If your mechanic has a press you can actually buy the bearing inserts only for less than 20 quid I think it was when I had it done last year. I can try to find the bearing type if you need. The other thing to check is 3 metal water pipes which are situated on 3 sides more or less under the engine. These corrode and unless been done already are likely to be pretty ropey. That's a £185 hit from icp sadly. I know this as had to buy the bloody things for mine today. Mine not leaking-yet but are fairly crusty. Not cheap but better than losing all the coolant and frying the engine.

If I keep it then I will do the tensioners. I want to make sure I can get along with it and that it behaves itself before splurging any more cash on it. I had a look at the pipes you mention when it was up on the ramp and while there is some surface rust, they're still solid for now. It's recently had a whole new radiator so I'm sure they would have been changed at that time if they were in danger of giving out.

Sounds like a win from a suspected fail, perhaps consider having it protected like DW did with the Skoda? 

I'm seriously pondering it later this year given how K11's dissolve. 

The undersealing is actually mostly intact, apart from the areas on the sills where it's been jacked incorrectly. It's getting covered in Waxoil before the sill covers go back on to keep it that way!

Pics as requested ;) I'm actually trying to work out how the hell it passed an MOT last year....

post-21170-0-53195100-1551450110_thumb.jpg

The above is the front of the sill underneath, the end nearest the engine.

This is underneath the sill at the back, which had been crushed by the jack.

post-21170-0-26473600-1551450191_thumb.jpg

post-21170-0-51330900-1551450213_thumb.jpg

Inner wing at the rear also required a plate. The lack of anti rust protection caused by the jack allowed everything to rot, and this didn't happen overnight....Still kicking myself I missed this tho!

post-21170-0-04866100-1551450336_thumb.jpg

Although to be fair, the rest of sill actually looks okay, and had sill covers on at the time I viewed it.

post-21170-0-70476300-1551450383_thumb.jpg

post-21170-0-73378900-1551450465_thumb.jpg

It is now also nearly dog-proofed thanks to loserone and gm Shitely-ing my heavy duty boot liner :D

post-21170-0-81268100-1551450530_thumb.jpg

Will fasten in the genuine Scooby dog guard once it's down off the ramp. It's a cracking dog-mobile as it has fittings which come down from the roof to secure it in place. Sure I read some where that 60-70% of Subaru drivers are also dog owners, so it's nice to see them catering to the market :)

post-21170-0-01334800-1551450641_thumb.jpg

Twin turbo version for me if I can find one in decent enough condition…. I only ever had a go of one - and it had been 'tweaked', instant love.

Glad the initial prognosis has proven to be manageable. Not too bad a deal to have it back for a couple of hundred plus exhaust.

Best of luck with the ongoing repairs.

My GTB may be for sale this month, depending on how I get along with the H6 but it is getting quite long in the tooth, due a cam belt change soon and has a fair few bits of surface rust from living on the coast for 3 years. Mechanically I do look after my cars and I don't skimp on oil, tyres, etc so all it's ever needed is service items like wheel bearings and brakes. Those were renewed at the end of last year so shouldn't need done for a while now. Decent mechanical condition but a rough diamond otherwise.

My GTB may be for sale this month, depending on how I get along with the H6 but it is getting quite long in the tooth, due a cam belt change soon and has a fair few bits of surface rust from living on the coast for 3 years. Mechanically I do look after my cars and I don't skimp on oil, tyres, etc so all it's ever needed is service items like wheel bearings and brakes. Those were renewed at the end of last year so shouldn't need done for a while now. Decent mechanical condition but a rough diamond otherwise.

ooooohh.…………….. excited man is excited!!!

Actually probably more than in the H6! The boot is actually bigger in my GTB. Measuring up for potential dog crate and ferret transport boxes. The GTB is 42ins wide at the lip of the boot, 36ins between the struts, 41ins from the back of the seats to the edge of the boot and 33ins floor to ceiling. H6 is 39ins at the boot lip, 36ins between the struts, 39ins from behind the seats to boot lip and only 28ins floor to ceiling.