Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Dailying a XJR for the sake of the climate

Project

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 686 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Excellent fault finding.

That return system must dump some fuel back into the tank for thermal expansion to fill the void from the fuel used which is surprising given these use a fair bit of the pony juice.
  • Hooli likes this

#152 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,126 posts
  • 185 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

Excellent fault finding.

That return system must dump some fuel back into the tank for thermal expansion to fill the void from the fuel used which is surprising given these use a fair bit of the pony juice.

I believe the pumps run at full flow all the time & any unused fuel is returned to the tank, meaning the injector rail etc is cooled. So in normal driving most of the fuel will get back to the tank. I used to know someone with one of these who could get it do 5mpg when hooning, considering they'll top 22mpg on a run that's about 80% of the fuel returning to the tank.

I assume this is to allow a consistent fuel temp for metering. If the fuel gets hot & expands then you get less energy per CC of fuel, meaning the injectors would need to fire longer to stop the engine being lean. Running the fuel at a more constant temp resolves that issue to a large degree.

• Isaac Hunt likes this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

Champion cunt in the cunt count 2018.

#153 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,126 posts
  • 185 thanks

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Also once again I have front heated screen envy. Does it work on this one?

I tried it this morning, I think not :(

But we have more cold weather arriving so I'll get to find out for sure. TBH I'm not really bothered if it does or not as the demist is damned good anyway. In fact it's even better on this car as it warms up in half the time of a NA, which must be all the extra heat from the blower.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

#154 OFFLINE   Broadsword

Broadsword

• Full Members
  • 594 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, blower Jags heat up very quickly indeed from my experience. Nearly as fast a an MGF. Only problem with the F is that you never know if the temp will just keep going up and up after reaching operating temperature :P
  • chadders likes this

#155 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,126 posts
  • 185 thanks

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

I just followed Richardthestag's advice & tried SNG Barratt for bits. OE mk3 secondary timing chain tensioners & new bolts (as a lot of places say they are a different length) ordered for £103 delivered.

I might do them next weekend, technically I shouldn't as I'll be on call. But it depends on the weather.

• richardthestag likes this

#156 ONLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

dont forgot the tools to lock the cams and sprockets into place, else probably stuff of nightmares

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Hyundai i10 2010 newbee - Wife's daily

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - sold to Hooli

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

VW Polo 2002 1.2l 3 pot bargain for #2 son

Renna Clio Expression+ 16v Barg for #3 son

#157 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,126 posts
  • 185 thanks

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

dont forgot the tools to lock the cams and sprockets into place, else probably stuff of nightmares

No need. I've found a great* bodge online. cable-tie the chains to the sprockets & lift the entire exhaust cam to get the tensioner out & the replacement in.

#158 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,126 posts
  • 185 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 PM

Parts have arrived today & a work mate wanted to do oncall this weekend so I could do his next weekend.

That means I'm all ready & set to do the tensioners & change the brake fluid this weekend. I'll have a another damn good look for the suspension knock too. I think it's rear but I'm not 100% convinced. I must book it in for the gearbox fluid change etc too.

• mrbenn likes this

#159 OFFLINE   Broadsword

Broadsword

• Full Members
  • 594 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Good luck with the tensioners! Slow and steady is the way to go. Hope the nipples on the brake callipers are ok. I never even attempt to turn them without heat and plusgas on any car I have these days.

#160 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,126 posts
  • 185 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

I'll decide when I look at the nipples, but they've had several baths in WD40 since I got this motor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users