Dailying a XJR for the sake of the climate - Parts Ordered

Guest Hooli

Don't forget I'm selling the V8 Sov, it's a cheap V8 that goes pretty well too.

The way I see it is that I may as well get a supercharged one as they use just as much juice, so when you are ready to sell give me a shout, preferably in about 12 months :D

When I was young a old man said to me, never buy a house with a flat roof, never rub another mans rhubarb and never buy a Jaguar with a Supercharger on it.

Clearly the man was a fool or suffering from the onset of an age related illness, as for £2.5k that is a friggin bargain. 

Nice colour too on this.

The way I see it is that I may as well get a supercharged one as they use just as much juice, so when you are ready to sell give me a shout, preferably in about 12 months :D

:D

Nah the Sov does 5mpg more on a long run, 27 instead of 22. I think it'd get near 30 just sat on a motorway so it's almost cheap* to run.

Get yourself an economy 3.2, mine does 25mpg on a long run, on cruise at 70mph.

Normally manages to squeeze 21mpg.

And the last tankful was 19 !

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the mpg in mine having used it for 3 weeks for work exclusively in town driving, 22.5. Was expecting sub 20

I've done some bits on this today.

Throttle body is now clean, no more slight jerk on & off the power -

post-20217-0-05454500-1547222992_thumb.jpg

I've checked the tensioners, this age engine should have the Mk3s and it looks like it does -

post-20217-0-15083300-1547223044_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-67465400-1547223054_thumb.jpg

It appears squirrels have been using it as a larder -

post-20217-0-90363400-1547223079_thumb.jpg

And for LS it's got too many mats! Genuine floor mats & then what feel like lambswool ones over them. I think the lambswool ones are coming out as they makes the pedals too low.

post-20217-0-06418200-1547223103_thumb.jpg

I've found an interesting* fault though. When driven hard it massively pressurises the fuel tank. To the point that full throttle though a couple of gears twice is enough that if you then release the fuel cap it lifts about 1" for 3-4secs as all the pressure escapes out. I can't understand why it's producing pressure in the tank to start with, that doesn't seem normal to me. If the pressure gets high enough it starts to run crap until you open the cap so I'll have to look at it. My first thought is find & clear the breather before worrying about the why. I've tried the cap off the Sov & it does the same, so it's not that.

I've improved how it drives massively & got the tramlining down to acceptable levels, turns out that having one front tyre at 26psi & one at 42psi makes cars drive odd, who knew? Only three wheels had locking nuts, but as the key fits the ones on the Sov, the XJR now has four lockers & the Sov three. Considering it's running 255/40ZR18 Pirelli P-Zeros I think it's worth having lockers in this case. Two wheel nuts were loose on a back wheel too, sorted that & checked the rest.

I've stolen the false floor out the Sov too as the one in this was broken and the bolt to hold the spare down which has cured 50% of rattles from the back end.

Interesting about the fuel tank pressurising, the Landrover always done similar, undone the cap and a massive gush of pressure. Reading this I never noticed until now, but since I rebuilt the top end hg up it's never done it at all. So you buying this car has made me realise that I've probably inadvertantly fixed a problem on a totally different car I didn't even know I'd fixed. This place...etc...

A bit of research has suggested it's possble due to blocked vents/fuel filter/etc causing an imbalance in fuel out/fuel in. So I'm off to read the manual & find out where the vent/vapour collector thingy is.

A bit of research has suggested it's possble due to blocked vents/fuel filter/etc causing an imbalance in fuel out/fuel in. So I'm off to read the manual & find out where the vent/vapour collector thingy is.

Well, we all know how often fuel filters get changed at service* time right? I suspect the touring one was the original when I got hold of it!

I think I know where the EVAP & vent pipes are now, so that's tomorrow's entertainment sorted. If I can't solve it tomorrow I'm driving with the cap undone until I do as it's known to burst the tanks if it gets too bad.

I was wrong above too, I don't have mk3 tensioners, I've got mk1s so they need changing. Usefully* every guide in the world mentions three versions, but looking on Jag's classic parts site there are six versions... they all supersede to the same final revision so it's not really an issue. £89 a side for the secondary tensioners, I'll have to get them ordered up soonish for piece of mind.

Then find out which is the coolant hose under the blower that goes brittle with the heat & change that too.

Is that a Jaguar branded MicroTac phone?

*Swoon*

It is, but I can't get it to switch on :( I've heard they don't meet modern standards so can't be used anyway?

I've been doing research* online and think I've found the causes of my fuel tank pressurising.

One the vent pipe gets blocked.

Two the daft emissions rules these days mean the petrol fumes get vented into the intake manifold to get burnt. Obviously with a boosted engine this needs to be blocked off when on boost to prevent the tank pressurising. I suspect it's not. So I'll read the manual & then give up & just trace the lines till I find this valve & inspect it.

I've also noted both rear bumpstops are missing, so I'll steal the ones off the Sov as they have the same part number as far as I'm aware (I'll double check first).

I've been doing research* online and think I've found the causes of my fuel tank pressurising.

One the vent pipe gets blocked.

Two the daft emissions rules these days mean the petrol fumes get vented into the intake manifold to get burnt. Obviously with a boosted engine this needs to be blocked off when on boost to prevent the tank pressurising. I suspect it's not. So I'll read the manual & then give up & just trace the lines till I find this valve & inspect it.

I've also noted both rear bumpstops are missing, so I'll steal the ones off the Sov as they have the same part number as far as I'm aware (I'll double check first).

Poor Sov is being slowly raped ;)