Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jazoli's forum bike red XJ6 thread N118

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,989 posts
  • 97 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

I did about 850 miles in it total. Including 600 or so from Scotland. Even after around 10hrs behind the wheel. Completely solidly reliable. I fitted fine at 5ft10 and size 10 shoes but my mate Steve who is 6ft4 found it really uncomfortable and could only manage an hour driving before we needed to swap again.

My garage said that the exhaust had a slight blow. I suspect after the miles it's done since Tickman fixed it, it's possibly gone/going again.

Btw you don't need to use handbrakes on autos, it's what park is for. ;)
One of the few autos that I have had that won't rock about in park too.
  • Jazoli likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#62 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 12,055 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

Good work man. Free and simple improvements are the best improvements.

858735.png

#63 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNear a big lake

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

I did about 850 miles in it total. Including 600 or so from Scotland. Even after around 10hrs behind the wheel. Completely solidly reliable. I fitted fine at 5ft10 and size 10 shoes but my mate Steve who is 6ft4 found it really uncomfortable and could only manage an hour driving before we needed to swap again.

My garage said that the exhaust had a slight blow. I suspect after the miles it's done since Tickman fixed it, it's possibly gone/going again.

Btw you don't need to use handbrakes on autos, it's what park is for. ;)
One of the few autos that I have had that won't rock about in park too.

I've never used the handbrake on any auto car I've owned

Had a quick squizz at tickmans thread and another look underneath when I got home from work and I reckon a big clamp will fix the centre blow, I've ordered a rear silencer off eBay for £52, will be fun trying to remove the chrome tailpipe off the old one!
  • Split_Pin, Carlosfandango and SiC like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#64 OFFLINE   Carlosfandango

Carlosfandango

• Full Members
  • 106 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:52 PM

Well boughterated.
These are fantastic cars, as would be explained and described if I had diligently continued my thread on mine.
Either way, well wear man. Love it.

CFD
  • Jazoli likes this
Whippets are better than people.

Current shite :
1966 Porsche 912
1966 Fiat 1500 street racer (project)
1967 Fiat 124 Spider
1973 Range Rover Suffix B
1993 Land Rover Disco 200tiddlyeye
1997 XJ6 3.2 sport
2001 Range Rover 2.5
1978 Triumph Bonneville flat tracker
2001 Triumph Tiger

#65 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Ok so I got an early finish today so thought I'd have a look at what was blowing underneath 9530dd8cf2843f91343e520fedf0fa04.jpg

We have just had a project completed at work so there was plenty of scrap wood, I didn't trust my 30 year old metal ramps to support the cat safely so made some in my lunch break.

The offending article

89fdef73fa666ed46849c7e31d5f67a5.jpg

It's dark and cold now so will be continued in the morning.
  • Hooli, Broadsword and Ohdearme like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#66 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Those two extra clamps were just to hold the bandage on and were the best I could come up with at the time.

Is that where the blow is then? If it is it will be the top of the pipe that I couldn't get the welder back onto due to access and I had my fill of exhaust wrestling!

• Jazoli likes this

1968 Morris Minor 1000
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper

1988 Peugeot 205 (Chuck's)
2001 Renault Clio (Meg's)
2003 Skoda Octavia

#67 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

Those two extra clamps were just to hold the bandage on and were the best I could come up with at the time.

Is that where the blow is then? If it is it will be the top of the pipe that I couldn't get the welder back onto due to access and I had my fill of exhaust wrestling!

No worries, its not a criticism and I have done much worse ;)

The blow is under the metal clamp at the front, I have bought a 5" long 60mm clamp which I'm hoping will fix it, I will attack it with a flap wheel in the morning and clean it all up and see, if one clamp doesn't fix it two most certainly will!

932fde53302c59320155a4a145ade01d.jpg
  • Fat_Pirate, Split_Pin, Isaac Hunt and 1 other like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#68 OFFLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 8,944 posts
  • 40 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

Love the ramps almost as much as the car, made an identical pair for myself last year to support the 75!
  • Jazoli likes this
Ровер 75 CDT | Воксхолл Корса 1.0 Посланник | Рено Спорт Клио 172 | Дачия Дастер 1.6 Атмосфера

Авто обзоры 1/1 и меньше: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#69 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 686 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Looks as though it did the job. I would imagine that repair has a couple of thousand miles under its belt.

Not too dissimilar to the next proposed repair, it used a crime exhaust trim and two u clamps to repair a fractured pipe once. Forgot about it until the MOT Tester commented on a clever repair. Well it was gastight and strong even of the chrome had gone a bit rusty.

#70 OFFLINE   SRi05

SRi05

• Full Members
  • 660 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

Ok so I got an early finish today so thought I'd have a look at what was blowing underneath https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2019011...

We have just had a project completed at work so there was plenty of scrap wood, I didn't trust my 30 year old metal ramps to support the cat safely so made some in my lunch break.

The offending article

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2019011...

It's dark and cold now so will be continued in the morning.

AutoShiteCo™ Quality* Repairs Ltd

• The Moog and Jazoli like this

#71 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,127 posts
  • 185 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

No worries, its not a criticism and I have done much worse ;)

The blow is under the metal clamp at the front, I have bought a 5" long 60mm clamp which I'm hoping will fix it, I will attack it with a flap wheel in the morning and clean it all up and see, if one clamp doesn't fix it two most certainly will!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2019011...

Where did you get that? I've always thought they should make them but never seen one for sale.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

Champion cunt in the cunt count 2018.

#72 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Where did you get that? I've always thought they should make them but never seen one for sale.

From my local autoparts store, its a Klarius part, I think they are common on VW's, see pic below, you can register on the Klarius site for free and browse the catalogue

http://webcat.klariu...catalog=UK&kid=

9aHgmrV.png

• Hooli and bangernomics like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

Thanked by 1 Member:
Hooli

#73 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,989 posts
  • 97 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

One thing I felt this car needed is a ATF + Filter change. Being a full mechanical box it will never be 100% smooth in all scenarios. But I felt it could be smoother. Couldn't find any history of the fluid ever being changed. Smelt and looked reasonable - even if worn. Probably changed when it was being serviced on at Jag dealers. However it went through a long time of little use. Iirc it's 40k/5yrs or something.

Interesting that you had questions on the steering heavyness. I did wonder if it was right. I checked the speed sensing wire to the stereo and it looked to be not connected to the aftermarket stereo so it shouldn't be that. But you could always try to disconnect it and see if it was any different. Did wonder about if the sensatronic relay was a bit duff but didn't own it long enough to get a replacement.

Steve and I came to the conclusion that it could supposed to be like that. It's of an age where it's not massively overassisted like modern stuff and it's just typical steering weighting of the time. With no other XJ6 to compare with, I couldn't say either way.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#74 ONLINE   Broadsword

Broadsword

• Full Members
  • 594 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:19 PM

The steering is noticeably heavier than any of the many x300s I’ve had, Sport, Sovereign or XJR. The rack isn’t leaking and the power steering fluid looks good. My suggestion would be to try replacing the servotronic relay. These have a speed sensitive assistance thingy on the PAS and apparently it can fail. Easiest and cheapest thing to try is that relay. I don’t mind the steering heavy like that myself though.
  • SiC likes this

#75 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

It's definitely heavier than it should be, I have changed the relay but it made no difference, I'll test the old one properly over the weekend as I just stuck the replacement one on after work and the part number is slightly different, it's no big deal really as it's not unmanageable and im not that bothered about sorting it.

Re the gearbox I don't think there's anything wrong with it but I'm not heavy footed and like to glide along, it's a little bit harsh when cold but nothing worse than any other auto I've owned, the fluid level is correct and it's still bright red so again I'm not bothered.

I'm loving the car so far and have no intentions of getting rid, I think I'll just sort the exhaust and just use it, everything else works and there's surprisingly few niggles to sort after it's 13 previous owners so it will just be fix it when necessary and service it now and again, the underside is in great condition and the engine is bone dry, there's a bit of surface corrosion here and there underneath which I will attend to when it warms up a bit and I'd like to give it a proper polish with the DA but apart from that I'll just keep putting fuel in it.
  • Fat_Pirate, Split_Pin, Hooli and 1 other like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#76 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,989 posts
  • 97 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

Just try disconnecting the stereo then and see if it makes any difference. The radio and it's cage seems to be held in place by friction, so it pulls out easily.

There is a speed wire that goes to the stereo as the stock stereo uses it to vary volume control with speed. This line is shared with the PAS control system. If the speed line is connected into the aftermarket radio it can short it to ground, leaving no signal for the PAS to read from.
  • Jazoli and Hooli like this

#77 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

Tried that, no difference, will test the relay later.

Spent the last 3 hours on my back underneath the car to fit the clamp in the exhaust and it fought me every step of the way, it will do for now but I will get a proper repair section fitted by someone else and get them to fit the back box thats in the boot as I'd had enough today.

972e00435b44d3fba67cc469ca63b7bb.jpg

I hate working underneath cars so any further work will be getting farmed out to my local mechanic, it's worth £30 an hour not to have to crawl around on my back struggling with stuff.
  • Fat_Pirate, Split_Pin, SiC and 1 other like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#78 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 686 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Looks like that will hold. Some silicone sealant forced into the 'lip' at each end might help.

#79 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

Omnipresent

• Full Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

After unplugging the radio to check if the speed sensor was working or not the radio is no longer working, I have checked the fuses in the boot and they are all intact, ideas anybody?

Edit it seems the stereo is dead, I tried another I had and it's working fine, the 10a fuse on the one that was fitted is intact too, wierd...

sigs are shit, wgaf?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users