Jaguar XJ6, forum bike X300 3.2 Sport, see page 4

Jazoli

I did about 850 miles in it total. Including 600 or so from Scotland. Even after around 10hrs behind the wheel. Completely solidly reliable. I fitted fine at 5ft10 and size 10 shoes but my mate Steve who is 6ft4 found it really uncomfortable and could only manage an hour driving before we needed to swap again.

My garage said that the exhaust had a slight blow. I suspect after the miles it's done since Tickman fixed it, it's possibly gone/going again.

Btw you don't need to use handbrakes on autos, it's what park is for. ;)

One of the few autos that I have had that won't rock about in park too.

I did about 850 miles in it total. Including 600 or so from Scotland. Even after around 10hrs behind the wheel. Completely solidly reliable. I fitted fine at 5ft10 and size 10 shoes but my mate Steve who is 6ft4 found it really uncomfortable and could only manage an hour driving before we needed to swap again.

My garage said that the exhaust had a slight blow. I suspect after the miles it's done since Tickman fixed it, it's possibly gone/going again.

Btw you don't need to use handbrakes on autos, it's what park is for. ;)

One of the few autos that I have had that won't rock about in park too.

I've never used the handbrake on any auto car I've owned

Had a quick squizz at tickmans thread and another look underneath when I got home from work and I reckon a big clamp will fix the centre blow, I've ordered a rear silencer off eBay for £52, will be fun trying to remove the chrome tailpipe off the old one!

Ok so I got an early finish today so thought I'd have a look at what was blowing underneath 9530dd8cf2843f91343e520fedf0fa04.jpg

We have just had a project completed at work so there was plenty of scrap wood, I didn't trust my 30 year old metal ramps to support the cat safely so made some in my lunch break.

The offending article

89fdef73fa666ed46849c7e31d5f67a5.jpg

It's dark and cold now so will be continued in the morning.

Those two extra clamps were just to hold the bandage on and were the best I could come up with at the time.

Is that where the blow is then? If it is it will be the top of the pipe that I couldn't get the welder back onto due to access and I had my fill of exhaust wrestling!

No worries, its not a criticism and I have done much worse ;)

The blow is under the metal clamp at the front, I have bought a 5" long 60mm clamp which I'm hoping will fix it, I will attack it with a flap wheel in the morning and clean it all up and see, if one clamp doesn't fix it two most certainly will!

932fde53302c59320155a4a145ade01d.jpg

Those two extra clamps were just to hold the bandage on and were the best I could come up with at the time.

Is that where the blow is then? If it is it will be the top of the pipe that I couldn't get the welder back onto due to access and I had my fill of exhaust wrestling!

Looks as though it did the job. I would imagine that repair has a couple of thousand miles under its belt.

Not too dissimilar to the next proposed repair, it used a crime exhaust trim and two u clamps to repair a fractured pipe once. Forgot about it until the MOT Tester commented on a clever repair. Well it was gastight and strong even of the chrome had gone a bit rusty.

Ok so I got an early finish today so thought I'd have a look at what was blowing underneath 9530dd8cf2843f91343e520fedf0fa04.jpg

We have just had a project completed at work so there was plenty of scrap wood, I didn't trust my 30 year old metal ramps to support the cat safely so made some in my lunch break.

The offending article

89fdef73fa666ed46849c7e31d5f67a5.jpg

It's dark and cold now so will be continued in the morning.

AutoShiteCo™ Quality* Repairs Ltd

No worries, its not a criticism and I have done much worse ;)

The blow is under the metal clamp at the front, I have bought a 5" long 60mm clamp which I'm hoping will fix it, I will attack it with a flap wheel in the morning and clean it all up and see, if one clamp doesn't fix it two most certainly will!

932fde53302c59320155a4a145ade01d.jpg

Where did you get that? I've always thought they should make them but never seen one for sale.

Where did you get that? I've always thought they should make them but never seen one for sale.

From my local autoparts store, its a Klarius part, I think they are common on VW's, see pic below, you can register on the Klarius site for free and browse the catalogue

http://webcat.klarius.eu/cgi-bin/cat502.cgi?lang=EN&catalog=UK&kid=

9aHgmrV.png

One thing I felt this car needed is a ATF + Filter change. Being a full mechanical box it will never be 100% smooth in all scenarios. But I felt it could be smoother. Couldn't find any history of the fluid ever being changed. Smelt and looked reasonable - even if worn. Probably changed when it was being serviced on at Jag dealers. However it went through a long time of little use. Iirc it's 40k/5yrs or something.

Interesting that you had questions on the steering heavyness. I did wonder if it was right. I checked the speed sensing wire to the stereo and it looked to be not connected to the aftermarket stereo so it shouldn't be that. But you could always try to disconnect it and see if it was any different. Did wonder about if the sensatronic relay was a bit duff but didn't own it long enough to get a replacement.

Steve and I came to the conclusion that it could supposed to be like that. It's of an age where it's not massively overassisted like modern stuff and it's just typical steering weighting of the time. With no other XJ6 to compare with, I couldn't say either way.

The steering is noticeably heavier than any of the many x300s I’ve had, Sport, Sovereign or XJR. The rack isn’t leaking and the power steering fluid looks good. My suggestion would be to try replacing the servotronic relay. These have a speed sensitive assistance thingy on the PAS and apparently it can fail. Easiest and cheapest thing to try is that relay. I don’t mind the steering heavy like that myself though.

It's definitely heavier than it should be, I have changed the relay but it made no difference, I'll test the old one properly over the weekend as I just stuck the replacement one on after work and the part number is slightly different, it's no big deal really as it's not unmanageable and im not that bothered about sorting it.

Re the gearbox I don't think there's anything wrong with it but I'm not heavy footed and like to glide along, it's a little bit harsh when cold but nothing worse than any other auto I've owned, the fluid level is correct and it's still bright red so again I'm not bothered.

I'm loving the car so far and have no intentions of getting rid, I think I'll just sort the exhaust and just use it, everything else works and there's surprisingly few niggles to sort after it's 13 previous owners so it will just be fix it when necessary and service it now and again, the underside is in great condition and the engine is bone dry, there's a bit of surface corrosion here and there underneath which I will attend to when it warms up a bit and I'd like to give it a proper polish with the DA but apart from that I'll just keep putting fuel in it.

Just try disconnecting the stereo then and see if it makes any difference. The radio and it's cage seems to be held in place by friction, so it pulls out easily.

There is a speed wire that goes to the stereo as the stock stereo uses it to vary volume control with speed. This line is shared with the PAS control system. If the speed line is connected into the aftermarket radio it can short it to ground, leaving no signal for the PAS to read from.

Tried that, no difference, will test the relay later.

Spent the last 3 hours on my back underneath the car to fit the clamp in the exhaust and it fought me every step of the way, it will do for now but I will get a proper repair section fitted by someone else and get them to fit the back box thats in the boot as I'd had enough today.

972e00435b44d3fba67cc469ca63b7bb.jpg

I hate working underneath cars so any further work will be getting farmed out to my local mechanic, it's worth £30 an hour not to have to crawl around on my back struggling with stuff.

After unplugging the radio to check if the speed sensor was working or not the radio is no longer working, I have checked the fuses in the boot and they are all intact, ideas anybody?

Edit it seems the stereo is dead, I tried another I had and it's working fine, the 10a fuse on the one that was fitted is intact too, wierd...

• 3 weeks later...

Small update time,

I've been using the car when the roads have no salt on them and its performing faultlessly, I really do enjoy just wafting around and its nice to see it in a carpark surrounded by moderns.

The drivers door panel was flopping around and annoying me so I removed it and fixed the broken clips with some araldite and rerouted the wires which were stopping the panel from fitting flush with the door, and refitted everything and its fixed so that's one job off the list, I also need to replace the rear speakers as they are crap compared to the fronts, I'm guessing they are 4 1/2's or whatever they are called?

Its going into the garage next week for a new backbox, a centre mount fabricating and a flexi fitting where the dodgy joint is in the middle, it hopefully should cost less than £150 all in which I'm happy with.

One thing I have noticed is that I get no hot air from the footwell vents on the drivers side, the passenger side gets nice and hot so I'm guessing it'll be a stuck valve or flap somewhere, can any of you suggest what to look at before I have to trawl the forums?

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a small update

New shiny bits fitted to the noise reducer

f9d0559e669e730a1449b27270b2e994.jpg

a385114b154300209003a03d3788f0d4.jpg

Annoyingly there is still a small blow from the front somewhere but its a lot quieter than it used to be and will do for now.

Boot rattle persists,

I've also replaced the rear door speakers so I can now play my music really loud without distortion, the front speakers are pretty good and I think I read somewhere that they had been replaced.

Boot rattle no longer an issue :D

I'm using it for work everyday at the minute as the dmf has failed on the wife's 307 so she is using the Avensis, I'm studiously ignoring the fuel consumption.

I also like the view from my office chair

49520574b655199379fe072da0693c06.jpg

Time for a small update

New shiny bits fitted to the noise reducer

f9d0559e669e730a1449b27270b2e994.jpg

a385114b154300209003a03d3788f0d4.jpg

Annoyingly there is still a small blow from the front somewhere but its a lot quieter than it used to be and will do for now.

Boot rattle persists,

I've also replaced the rear door speakers so I can now play my music really loud without distortion, the front speakers are pretty good and I think I read somewhere that they had been replaced.

Boot rattle no longer an issue :D

I'm using it for work everyday at the minute as the dmf has failed on the wife's 307 so she is using the Avensis, I'm studiously ignoring the fuel consumption.

I also like the view from my office chair

49520574b655199379fe072da0693c06.jpg

Is there a better view in existence?

I think not.