The Sun slates the Maestro! + cheap 2001 model for sale

trigger

My aunt had loads of maestros, she loved them, and replaced them with a rover 25. I remember her husband, my late uncle, had waited his whole life for a rover (i think he finally got a 400 saloon in royal blue as a birthday present) but this was back when rovers were held in high esteem.the sun thinks they can be a respectable motoring journal because Clarkson writes for thembut alas, its all shiiiiiiiiiit. we need an autoshite magazine. or book at the very least.

My aunt had loads of maestros, she loved them, and replaced them with a rover 25. I remember her husband, my late uncle, had waited his whole life for a rover (i think he finally got a 400 saloon in royal blue as a birthday present) but this was back when rovers were held in high esteem.the sun thinks they can be a respectable motoring journal because Clarkson writes for thembut alas, its all shiiiiiiiiiit. we need an autoshite magazine. or book at the very least.

Rover's are still well respected in France :wink:

Get a blown fuse and solder a 55W headlamp bulb across its terminals. When the circuit is working properly, the filament will pass enough current to make stuff work and maybe glow a little bit, but when you get a dead short, the lamp will light up full brightness. Use this to wiggle bits of the loom until you find the bit that makes the lamp go on and off.

That does sound like a bloody good idea, Might give that a try tomorrow as it has the continental fuse which would be easy to solder, But will it not cause the loom to get hot and burn out?.I know when a fuse blows you shouldn't fit a higher amp fuse than already fitted as that's what can happen.

Could I at this juncture make the point that Hyundai bought the car with no primer - it was in good, all painted condition, and they don't even rust there. If memory serves, it also had all 4 hubcaps. Chances are Hyundai have spent a while making this car appear crummier than it actually is, to demonstrate that a new Hyundai would be better.

How do you know that? Why, that would be casting doubt on the integrity of a motor press office, it's inconceivable :wink:
I know the guy who runs the Post-Cowley Maestro register. The car was known to him and the Club were aware of it when it was sold a few months ago. :wink:

I must say I enjoyed watching the video that accompanied the Maestro article. It actually looked "lovingly shot", reminiscent of old Top Gear. The driving footage with the headlights on actually made it look desirable in my eyes! The chap did have a couple of good things to say about it too.But the word "banger" is just wrong when applied to an R reg car. In fact I detest the term :evil: Mark.

Get a blown fuse and solder a 55W headlamp bulb across its terminals. When the circuit is working properly, the filament will pass enough current to make stuff work and maybe glow a little bit, but when you get a dead short, the lamp will light up full brightness. Use this to wiggle bits of the loom until you find the bit that makes the lamp go on and off.

That does sound like a bloody good idea, Might give that a try tomorrow as it has the continental fuse which would be easy to solder, But will it not cause the loom to get hot and burn out?.

I know when a fuse blows you shouldn't fit a higher amp fuse than already fitted as that's what can happen.

Shouldn't do. A 55w lamp draws less than 5A, and the general rule-of-thumb is that you need 1 square mm per 10A of load. Given that the vast majority of car cabling is at least 2 square mm or larger, you should be fine.

If you've any worries at all, then use a 21w lamp instead. That will draw less than 2A, but is likely to be unable to allow any of the systems on that fuse to work properly, as the resistance of the filament is too high, and so you get too much volt-drop over the lamp. Would still work fine for fault-finding though.

Dropped my car of at my dad's this morning and told him the trick about the bulb, Turns out it worked and found the fault so nice one thanks! :P I would seem there is a trapped cable behind the coil that had split and burned out on the bodywork.It's only took and stripped out interior and fuse box to find the problem!.

Dropped my car of at my dad's this morning and told him the trick about the bulb, Turns out it worked and found the fault so nice one thanks! :P I would seem there is a trapped cable behind the coil that had split and burned out on the bodywork.It's only took and stripped out interior and fuse box to find the problem!.

thats great news, so are you back in love again.. :wink:

Thank Hyundai for this. They offered the press the chance to 'try scrappage' by thrashing a Maestro or Rover 200, then playing with a lovely new Hyundai.

Ironically it kind of backfired as this is the only article I've actually seen with one of these vehicles, yet I've heard off a mate that the two or three they are the most popular on Hyundai's fleet. Most of the time they're using them as a reminiscing session as most journos seem to have some sort of BL/ARG perversion.

This was the topic of conversation with Vicsmith today, amusing that they let them use a Rover 200 too - we thought it would have been more fair if they gave a more true R-reg rival in the shape of an average-spec Rover 214 (MK3) to show them how "far" cars have come.Besides standard-fit aircon, I can't think of anything you'd gain in the equivalent Hyundai i10. The engine is still a fuel-injected twincam with 16 valves, you still get a 5-speed box and you'd have to get a pretty dreadful 214 to not have front electric windows or power steering (the i10 is lumbered with crappy EPS), not to mention ABS and an airbag, which I think they all get anyway. I reckon the Rover would have better ride/handling and be a bit more plush inside too, so it evens out really.To be honest, comparing new cars to ones from the 90s is a bit of a pointless exercise - what big features have we gained since then?

To be honest, comparing new cars to ones from the 90s is a bit of a pointless exercise - what big features have we gained since then?

Safety. What if you crash?? OMG!!1! Think of the children, won't somebody think of the children!! :roll::roll::roll: If safety was that important, take some advanced training, buy a car that you can see out of (instead of one with A pillars like the leg of a North Sea oil platform), and pay attention to your driving instead of texting your friends, fiddling with the ipod or changing the satnav.*and breathe*

To be honest, comparing new cars to ones from the 90s is a bit of a pointless exercise - what big features have we gained since then?

maestros early 80's so even worse....but saying that saftey wise cars have defo come forward, but equiment is much different i remember my dad's crown had everything you could throw at it, even yanks in the 50's are better spec'd than some cars today :Di dont need a bmw with a twindly knob for this that and the other :lol: oh back to BMW's @ trigger keep smiling :lol:

I was going to be clever an say better drinks holders but then I remembered tha 214 has a nice flat shelf on the dash to put your mug on :roll: Surely that Maestro would be Ledbury or something wouldn't it? IIRC the Rover ones finished in about '95.I also agree that they probably had to choose it over an equivalent 90s car in order to make the new car look better. Wouldn't wipe my arse with the Sun.

I dont think the video was all that bad. Some good aspects of the Maestro were highlighted and any critiscims were par for the course for a 12yr old ARG product.What was the point he was making? A £5000 new car is better than a £500 (more like £300) 12 yr old one? To the average Sun reader that just sounds like common sense. In terms of reliability, refinement and safety I recon a modern has got to be better.On the other hand a new Hyundai is 10x more expensive than a good Maestro, but is it 10x better? Probably not!

the maestro was a 15 year old design when that 97 model was produced, snd is a nearly 30 year old design when the article was written.

This is very true, and how old is the A series engine design? Pretty old!

The thing is, that they've deliberately sought out one of the lowest specced and dated cars of the late nineties so the new hyundai feels much better when you get in it.A half decent 97 Fiesta for example would be a much nicer place to be than the new Hyundai which is the last thing they want you to realise!