halp - diesel fuel leak

Milford Cubicle

I manage to make a mess of the simplest things! I noticed my car was leaking fuel from the inlet, so I tightened up the bolt a bit and it sheared in half.

No problem, I'll get another one. I tightened this one up, with new-looking washers from the donor car, and it's still leaking - tightened it up a bit more in frustration and it sheared too.

I have another bolt and I've tightened it up as far as it'll go without breaking, and that's leaking from the washers too. :evil:

What on earth am I doing wrong?

Posted Image

Here is the crock in question, it's getting a bit tired now (nearly 20k covered in the last 8 or 9 months) - I'm thinking of changing it for a late Xantia TD or an old diesel Mercedes for ease of maintenance in the near future.

Copper washers on the banjo bolts need changing for new. Once they've compressed once or twice they are useless.Also, make sure the surfaces of the banjo, the pump face and the back of the head of the banjo bolt are clean & smooth.Shouldn't need more than a "nip" to make it diesel-tight.

If you still have issues getting it to seal with new copper washers, use some "dowtey" (I think that's how it's spelt) washers. These are copper washers with a rubber ring bonded to the inner diameter, and will seal anything.