2001 BMW 318i SE Automatic Touring MOT Dec '19 113k Basingstoke £375 or £6 a go

bramz7

I recently acquired this as part of a sale of another car. I have run it about for a month or so and it's been a very dependable car for commuting and the odd longer journey, but it's really boring. I suppose I should enjoy the dullness but I really do not.

So, it's a blue (a nice blue) E46 Touring, with the supposedly better 1.9 engine, the earlier engine which was phased out shortly after this one was made.

It's been equipped with some natty 'fine wood trim' when specced, which looks very nice, and it has cream leather inside. Interior is in really good shape, bar some slight dis-colouration to the passenger side seat base.

Stereo is really good for sound quality, the auto box is surprisingly good, and 70 is around about 3000rpm, which isn't very invasive in the cabin, and it averages around 40/41 mpg on a motorway. Loadbay has a plastic liner, and the cover works fine.

I only really want to sell as it's really dull to me. It handles quite well, which is a plus, but I just can't get excited about it.

Price is £600 or very, very close offer. I have a bit of a lust for an E39, so am keen to get one of those as a replacement, unless anyone with one fancies a swap of some kind. I suppose I could accept suitable swaps...but money is preferred, and roffles not really ideal.

I will add some more photos tomorrow but for now I have the ones below.

Some bad points:

Oil warning light comes on when you start it but the level is near the top, so faulty sensor I suspect.

Slight chain rattle when cold, but it hasn't effected the performance of the car.

For a while it was really smelling of oil inside the cabin (presumably due to a recent PCV replacement) but this seems to have subsided in the past few days.

Loads of service history with it though, and it's comfortable in an ergonomic sort of way, the seats aren't soft but they are very supportive.

44566096550_d6fb877761_c.jpg20181205_150818 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

44566096450_dcde15d1e4_c.jpg20181205_150840 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

I am in Basingstoke, delivery is an option, if expenses for it are paid for.

Not expecting a huge amount of interest for it, but surprise me.....

Just to emphasise what Bramz said really, this is a very, very solid example. Nice and comfy, it does all it is meant to do, the interior is rather nice, the odd scuff here and there with a slight discolouration to the seat base as mentioned, to me it looks like it has been re-coloured at some point and this has simply worn off, eBay does some little kits that would restore it to its former glory for £not much. The only bodywork issue is above the O/S rear wheel arch where there is a shallow scrape/ding. The paint is not broken and it is pretty minor in the scheme of things. Engine bay is a clean thing, there was some oil misting due to the knackered breather hose that had a huge split in it. This was replaced along with the valve prior to Bramz taking the car off me.

Nice split tail gate, fab branded tyres, looks great in blue. The stereo is the business spec model with cassette facility. It does sound pretty bloody good. Apologies about the blue silicon hose bits in the engine bay but they are pretty minimal and it was what I had to hand. The original smoll hoses just crumbled.

Not ULEZ compliant and I struggled to get a decent insurance quote 'cos London. The insurance being the main reason I had to pass the car on, the ULEZ fuckery is less of a OMG than it was for me earlier in the year.

Well worth what is being asked.

I did buy a BMW badge for the bonnet but fuck knows where it is, soz.

Insurance was alway cheap for me on it, mpg wise it can do mid 40s on a run. It also has a cd multichanger in the boot as well as the up front stereo (original BMW figment). It has had a good few things done to it in recent years including new rad, new o2 sensors, always serviced. It was owned by a local Doctor and then his son before I had it and wanted for nothing. That rare beast of a genuinely looked after E46.

Also has reversing sensors fitted. 

I think the cheaperest insurance quote I got on it was 600 quid, the dearest was SAGA who wanted over 800 quid. Am 54, full NCB, use of other cars, no claims within 5 years and all that, however, I seem to live in Shite Central with t he post code from hell, so maybe that.

I cannot emphasise how nice this car is and sorry to hear about life stuff mate.

Yes, they've bumped my 318Ti up. It's down to drift wankers and badly modded E36/46 scrap, 316i's with 2.8 engines and standard brakes and that kind of shit.

I’d say it’s more down to insurance companies being money grabbing arseholes rather than a few idiots with the wrong car hobby.

Don’t be getting a sort of insurers- based Stockholm syndrome.