Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Double questionez.

Two differents sizes of brake disc on the front for a car.

Mot fail?

Had a customer who had failed the mot on worn discs and pads but No mention of the fact they where two different sizes across the axle (Corsa 1.0 and Corsa 1.4) a fair size difference. He Had owned the car for a few years and never had it mentioned.

Wanted to return one disc and for me to sell him one smaller one. I refused and said I'm having nothing to do with it. Fix it properly or don't fix it at all.

Was I being a twat?

Someone was, but it wasn't you.  

I don't know about MOT rulez, but simple physics tells me this is a bad idea.  

Double questionez.

Mot fail?

Had a customer who had failed the mot on worn discs and pads but No mention of the fact they where two different sizes across the axle (Corsa 1.0 and Corsa 1.4) a fair size difference. He Had owned the car for a few years and never had it mentioned.

Wanted to return one disc and for me to sell him one smaller one. I refused and said I'm having nothing to do with it. Fix it properly or don't fix it at all.

Was I being a twat?

Question to see if what I and the garage think is the issue or not...

My old 1995 Tipo has failed the MOT on emissions. We had issues last year but it just went through. This year it will not go below 0.36-0.6% with maximum allowable amount of 0.3%. Initially it was over 0.7%.

It’s had new plugs, leads, air filter, checks for air leaks and nothing seems to be wrong... it’s an early SPI 1.4ie so no complicated sensors and only one lambda (this reading seems fine on test). It’s had two doses of cat cleaner and a few ‘Italian tuneups’ which has brought it down but nowhere near enough.

It had a new catalyst about 18 months ago and garage and me are now down to thinking this must be the culprit. Does anyone think we’re right before I try to go down the warranty claim route for it? Not really sure what else it could be if not.

My old 1995 Tipo has failed the MOT on emissions. We had issues last year but it just went through. This year it will not go below 0.36-0.6% with maximum allowable amount of 0.3%. Initially it was over 0.7%.

It’s had new plugs, leads, air filter, checks for air leaks and nothing seems to be wrong... it’s an early SPI 1.4ie so no complicated sensors and only one lambda (this reading seems fine on test). It’s had two doses of cat cleaner and a few ‘Italian tuneups’ which has brought it down but nowhere near enough.

It had a new catalyst about 18 months ago and garage and me are now down to thinking this must be the culprit. Does anyone think we’re right before I try to go down the warranty claim route for it? Not really sure what else it could be if not.

I had a similar ‘game’ last year (not a tipo) and what joy it was, it ended up being an air leak from a split hose so might be worth giving every connection and pipe a check over.

If its an Aftermarket CAT, then I wouldn't be surprised. They just don't perform aswell, and on an older vehicle that's maybe running a smidge richer it's probably going to struggle.

If you do take it back under warranty and there's a chance you have used exhaust paste on the joint upstream before the cat, then make sure you clean it off. Most will void the warranty if exhaust paste had been used as it has potential to damage the cat.

One of out regular recovery driver/repair customers bought in a cat he had recently fitted to a saxo because two welds had failed and the exhaust had fell off leaving the owner stranded.

Replacement given and i sent the old one back for credit to our account.

Old cat was returned from supplier in a box as it was broken into 3 parts.

"Warranty void due to use of exhaust paste".

Bellends.

Similar problems were had with a friend's aygo manifold cat I replaced last year for him. The worn engine mounts and flexing of exhaust system caused the welds to split enough to throw off the emissions a bit on its mot so had to reweld the cheapest new catalytic converter we could find. Mot tester then warned us they only last 2 to 3 years when you buy cheap, to which we replied thats probably longer than the car will....

Double questionez.

Mot fail?

Was I being a twat?

No! You were spot on, he is the twat for trying to save a few quid on brakes.

Clean the airflow sensor (s) with electrical contact cleaner, and clean the butterfly till it’s shiny.

If a broken coil spring is an mot fail, why isn't a cut coil spring?

How could a tester tell one from t'other?

someone might have trimmed one coil from the end and its not obvious , vs a break in the middle of the spring allowing the broken ends to pierce the tyre and kill you?

If a broken coil spring is an mot fail, why isn't a cut coil spring?

How could a tester tell one from t'other?

It is. It wasn't for a while around 2012 but cut springs and especially ones so cut they don't work as springs or can fall out of the cup are a fail.

Just packed the Multipla with stuff for the tip and it's completely died on me. No lights, no cranking, nothing. It clicked when I turned the key initially, and had lights on on the dashboard.

Now it just won't do anything. Help?! Surely it can't be the battery?

Edit, it was the battery. Wtf.

Brake fluid

Does anyone actually change it every 2 years? In the past I've simply bled when replacing calipers/lines etc and ignored it otherwise (Probably not ideal, I'm not proud)

Now I'm in possession of a Sealey pressure bleeder I'm tempted to do the whole fleet, and yet simultaneously reluctant as the brakes are all working well and I hate stripping bleed nipples and the ball-ache involved with that.