Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ask a Shiter

• Please log in to reply
21947 replies to this topic

#21871 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,276 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:14 AM

I'll clutch at any straw at the moment tbh.  I've been Googling the symptoms and the most common diagnosis is that the ECU has shat itself.  If that's happened then the car is scrap, sadly, as with all the other issues it has it's just not worth spending large amounts of money on.

#21872 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,276 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:28 AM

OK, next question.  When I tested the injectors for power, I ran the multimeter from the positive to the earth wires on the connector plug.  This gave me a steady reading of about 8.5v.  However I've been watching some YouTube diagnostic type vids, and it looks like the earth wire is normally switched by the ECU to tell the injector to pulse - in other words, the circuit should only be complete when the injector is firing, so I shouldn't have got a reading on the multimeter when the engine wasn't being cranked.

Is that another pointer towards a failed ECU, or have I completely missed the point?

#21873 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,947 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

I'm not sure you can tell a lot from injectors with just a multimeter, the last time I messed about with this stuff I borrowed an oscilloscope from work because they switch a bit fast.

Have you tried taking the injectors out?  It's something they say to do when you check the spray pattern but you can cunningly see if there's any fuel at all coming through.

The Porsche 928 is terrifying, yet oddly alluring. It's like spending the night with that Jo Frost Supernanny woman

#21874 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,276 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

Haven't had the injectors out yet - the idea scares me slightly...

Agree that there's no way a multimeter will react quickly enough to detect injector pulses.  One of the videos I watched had the mechanic testing for injector pulse with a test light - given that they only fire every second revolution, when the engine is being cranked over on the starter the pulses are far enough apart to be picked up by the light.  I haven't seen my test light for years, so I will go out and purchase one.

#21875 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 7,206 posts
  • 114 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

I can certainly have a crack at the plugs - they don't look in the first flush of youth from the bits that I can see. I just think it's odd that the car would go from being on the button and running perfectly well, to not even trying to start, with nothing in between. I wouldn't have expected all six plugs to let go at the same time with no warning.

That's exactly what the sigma did though.

Does the Buick have a distributor cap to dry out and spray with moisture repellent?

#21876 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,276 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:55 AM

Nope, it's coil packs.  Bloody moderns...

#21877 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Saw one of these earlier today :

-fabia-2017-408l.jpg

Why is this post worthy? it had a single blue light on the roof, two in the grill and was going like a bat from hell for its size.  

Which service does it belong too?

1994 K11 1.0 CVT Micra - Spent way more then needed but loving it :)

DollyWobbler- "I ended up having to use a spare HT lead but it was still like trying to pleasure a lady with a sex toy on the end of a fishing rod. From outside the house through the bedroom window."

#21878 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 10,251 posts
  • 105 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

Fire probably/possibly. I frequently see them around here as fire chiefs or whatever they are/do with FIRE written on them.
  • HarmonicCheeseburger likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#21879 OFFLINE   spike60

spike60

• Full Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationOop North

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

Is there any way to insure a car for a couple weeks that doesn't cost a fortune? Esure want £200 to insure a 530d until the end of the month while I see if it sells. Given it's a spares or repair and the now swapped policy was £300 for a year they can FRO. It's still tested and drivable so being insured helps demo it. 

#21880 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,859 posts
  • 194 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

Insure for the year & then cancel within the 14 days cooling off period?

• spike60 and TataBobu like this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

Champion cunt in the cunt count 2018.

#21881 OFFLINE   DavidB

DavidB

• Full Members
  • 265 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

Would a non working glow plug ECU cause my diesel to be

incredibly sluggish for the first few minutes from cold?

diagnistic errors point to broken glow plug ECU and four non working plugs, which is because the EVU isn’t working!

#21882 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,859 posts
  • 194 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

No glow plugs = no heat in cylinder = poor combustion. So yeah, makes sense to me.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

#21883 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 3,722 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

If i disconnect the battery on my 52 Honda  HRV  .. will the EML be cancelled ?

I pulled a connector off of the engine whilst it was running ,and it faltered, so I quickly pushed it back on..Now the EML is on.  :mad:  It's been on for a week ,I was hoping it would just forget.....

Funnily enough though , the car goes much better and pulls like a train at low revs :-D !! It's a V-tec , and normally it only picks up its skirts at 3000rpm onwards 

00 Transporter 800 spesh

93 Pajero 2.5 td  Automatic

02 Honda HRV v-tec

98 Astra Arctic 1.6 16v

82 Fiesta mk1 1.1L

93 Astra GLS Automatic

Vacancy for ....Viva HB  :-D

#21884 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

Licking Lichen

• Staff
  • 10,393 posts
  • 153 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

Is there any way to insure a car for a couple weeks that doesn't cost a fortune? Esure want £200 to insure a 530d until the end of the month while I see if it sells. Given it's a spares or repair and the now swapped policy was £300 for a year they can FRO. It's still tested and drivable so being insured helps demo it.

Yes

Insure with admiral or elephant. Pay upfront and then cancel within 2 week cooling off period. Total cost for two weeks £25.

Done it a few times.

Normally use credit card as it is refunded before bill is due.
  • spike60 and BorniteIdentity like this
1991 - Mx5 Track beast
2003 - Getz
1990 - Rover 800 820si - On the farm
2004 - Lancer Estate

#21885 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,859 posts
  • 194 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yes, but hopefully it hasn't been stored in the ECU as an error - I can't see it doing that if it can't see the fault, unless the unplugging damaged the sensor somehow.

Unplugging it would register a fault as it couldn't see the sensor.

Get a cheap dongle & clear the code, I think mine was under a fiver & uses a free app on my phone.

#21886 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 3,722 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:21 PM

Unplugging it would register a fault as it couldn't see the sensor.

Get a cheap dongle & clear the code, I think mine was under a fiver & uses a free app on my phone.

Not on my phone it wont  

bus acc 2060.jpg

• wuvvum, myglaren, DodgeRover and 8 others like this

00 Transporter 800 spesh

93 Pajero 2.5 td  Automatic

02 Honda HRV v-tec

98 Astra Arctic 1.6 16v

82 Fiesta mk1 1.1L

93 Astra GLS Automatic

Vacancy for ....Viva HB  :-D

#21887 ONLINE   rainagain

rainagain

• Full Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationFife

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:37 AM

I’ve wired in a usb charger/cig lighter/voltmeter/switch panel to my van and it’s running off an old mobility scooter battery.

The battery also runs led lights in the van with no problem, and it fires up the voltmeter and the cigarette lighter. I ran a little compressor off the cigarette lighter to check. It won’t make any usb chargers work though, and the light on the socket doesn’t come on at all.

Would the USB port sockets take more power just to illuminate the light that shows they’re getting power?
The battery is old and well past it’s best, but seems to do everything else ok.

I would expect the compressor to put far more load on the battery than the USB outlets. I wonder if they have some sort of auto shut off to stop them flattening your battery and the voltage of the resting scooter battery is too low?

i.e. they only work when the battery is being charged ~14V rather than resting ~12.7V. Try hooking up a car charger to the scooter battery and see if they start working. I had a similar problem with a 12V fridge that would happily run off a battery connected to a charger but about ten minutes after removing the charger it would auto shut off. 

#21888 OFFLINE   jon.k

jon.k

• Full Members
  • 234 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

Thank you, that makes sense. I thought I was going mad. It charges from a split charger so I’ll take it for a drive and see if it works when it’s being charged.

#21889 OFFLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 2,141 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

STREETWISES; contemporary reviews say the pezzer is the one to go for, because the (faster, more economical) diesel is a bit clattery. I don't mind clattery.

Is there any advantage to the petrol?
I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

#21890 OFFLINE   Andyrew

Andyrew

• Full Members
  • 279 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:03 PM

Found two of these, any idea what they came off?

20190111_113712.jpg 20190111_113720.jpg

#21891 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 10,787 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

STREETWISES; contemporary reviews say the pezzer is the one to go for, because the (faster, more economical) diesel is a bit clattery. I don't mind clattery.

The petrol one probably drives a bit better because the K series is light and the L series is heavy but the L series is almost indestructible and goes like the clappers on boost in an R3.
L series for me.
  • catsinthewelder, robinmasters and twosmoke300 like this

#21892 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 7,206 posts
  • 114 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

Anybody know how much of a job it is to change a starter motor on a c200 petrol merc? Its a 1999 model. Thanks

#21893 OFFLINE   Snipes

Snipes

• Full Members
  • 3,165 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

Cleaner, less stinky, less diesely.

#21894 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,276 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

More HGFey.

• Craig the Princess and Lacquer Peel like this

#21895 OFFLINE   puddlethumper

puddlethumper

• Full Members
  • 924 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

Does anyone want about 150 litres of unfiltered veg ?

Could be as much as 200. 

• D Spares & Tyres likes this

#21896 OFFLINE   D Spares & Tyres

D Spares & Tyres

Big member

• Full Members
  • 4,304 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationAt the end of the longest line

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

Yes please!
  • puddlethumper likes this

#21897 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 4,069 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

I found my petrol R3 200 to be better balanced and generally chuckable than the 2 litre petrol R8 I've got now but that could be the shorter wheelbase or far smaller mileage rather than the lighter engine.  I did find the K series powered car annoyingly buzzy above 50mph and crap on fuel, the R8 is no better on fuel but its usually travelling 20mph faster.

95 Rover 220SLi

94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

90 Dacia 1310

#21898 OFFLINE   D Spares & Tyres

D Spares & Tyres

Big member

• Full Members
  • 4,304 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationAt the end of the longest line

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

I've rather over enthusiastically tried to open the door of a Lancia Delta Integrale and snapped it. It is made of a flimsy plastic handle with a metal covering. Typical Fiat junk.

What is the strongest glue I can buy? Q Bond won't work on this. SIkaflex is probably too flexible. Any ideas? Or a cheap handle? Do any other Fiat items fit?

#21899 ONLINE   myglaren

myglaren

• Full Members
  • 3,316 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

Gorilla Glue might but in all honesty I think a replacement is called for as I can't see any adhesive standing up to the wear it is going to have.

• D Spares & Tyres and adw1977 like this

Sent from beyond the grave using the Force.

#21900 OFFLINE   Fabergé Greggs

Fabergé Greggs

• Full Members
  • 1,652 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

Mercedes Vito with a crew cab in 114CDI flavour. 100,000 miles and clean.

If I’ve been offered it for £900 should I snap it the hell up? Anything significant to look for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users