Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Ferries, can you just rock up at Dover\Calais and get a reasonable priced crossing or do you need to book in advance?

When I tried that it was about double the price of booking in advance*

*I stood in the booking office at Calais and used their free wifi to book the next crossing online for 50% of the cost from the booking desk.

Ferries, can you just rock up at Dover\Calais and get a reasonable priced crossing or do you need to book in advance?

When I tried that it was about double the price of booking in advance*

*I stood in the booking office at Calais and used their free wifi to book the next crossing online for 50% of the cost from the booking desk.

Aye, just rock up, then book online (Not sure what time the close off the bookings for the next ferry though)

Daft question, is it only me who is put off certain cars, that I would otherwise like, because someone that I didn't like had one?

Welcome to my irrational world

No, not if you associate that particular type of car with that person.

There are other cars I don't want to own because of the stereotypical owner of that particular make and/or model, or because someone I know has one and is a twat

Another boring insurance question.

If someone hits another car and the car that was hit hasn't had 

an Mot for six months can the hit driver claim off the others insurance ?

Of course they can, the lack of MOT has no bearing on the apportioning of blame in the incident.

Yes. Just don't expect the insurance company to pay out lots as they'll say a car with no MOT is worth less than one with.

Whatever faults the insured may have with their car or their policy details, they cannot shirk their third party responsibilities.

And they may attempt to wheedle out of paying at all if they can claim the car was unroadworthy and that their client was therefore not to blame.

Er, no. They CANNOT shirk their responsibilities to third parties. If you bought a insurance policy, but lied about your car being modified, you had a few more points than you admitted to, you kept it on the road not on your drive, and the MOT ran out, it doesn't matter. They still pay the person you ran over.

IF you were actually a murderer, with 17 points on your licence, driving a modified Cosworth when you'd declared a 1.1 Fiesta, the insurance company *might* be able to recoup what they paid the other person from you, but that would be subject to the normal Court repayment rules, ie. £1.28 per week*.

* That's not the rule, but it has to be affordable, so will be next to fuck all

Er, no. They CANNOT shirk their responsibilities to third parties. If you bought a insurance policy, but lied about your car being modified, you had a few more points than you admitted to, you kept it on the road not on your drive, and the MOT ran out, it doesn't matter. They still pay the person you ran over.IF you were actually a murderer, with 17 points on your licence, driving a modified Cosworth when you'd declared a 1.1 Fiesta, the insurance company *might* be able to recoup what they paid the other person from you, but that would be subject to the normal Court repayment rules, ie. £1.28 per week*.* That's not the rule, but it has to be affordable, so will be next to fuck all

er YES they CAN, if, for example, your brake lights are out and someone hits you up the arse then they can easily say it’s not their insured’s fault. And proove they weren’t? The rest of your post is utterly irrelevant, what is relevant is that the car that was ran into potentially was not roadworthy (it may have been but may not have been, proove it) and therefore the 1st party insurers WILL do this best to get out of paying, the 3rd party can take them to court (but their insurers won’t give a shit and won’t fund it) but they better have deep pockets.

er YES they CAN, if, for example, your brake lights are out and someone hits you up the arse then they can easily say it’s not their insured’s fault. And proove they weren’t? The rest of your post is utterly irrelevant, what is relevant is that the car that was ran into potentially was not roadworthy (it may have been but may not have been, proove it) and therefore the 1st party insurers WILL do this best to get out of paying, the 3rd party can take them to court (but their insurers won’t give a shit and won’t fund it) but they better have deep pockets.

Sorry boss, you're completely wrong. Brake lights out? Why didn't you notice car getting closer to you? If you hit something, it's your fault; that's all there is to it. The other car didn't have brake lights? So what? Do skips/parked cars/children have lights on them? No.

I've worked in insurance for 20+ years, and MOT status has fuck all to do with fault, unless the car is utterly fucked. If you indicated, pulled out into a gap, stopped at give way lines, what the fuck does it matter if you were slightly over the speed limit?

The best outcome for insurers is an early payment, not a long, drawn-out court battle.

Sorry boss, you're completely wrong. Brake lights out? Why didn't you notice car getting closer to you? If you hit something, it's your fault; that's all there is to it. The other car didn't have brake lights? So what? Do skips/parked cars/children have lights on them? No.I've worked in insurance for 20+ years, and MOT status has fuck all to do with fault, unless the car is utterly fucked. If you indicated, pulled out into a gap, stopped at give way lines, what the fuck does it matter if you were slightly over the speed limit?The best outcome for insurers is an early payment, not a long, drawn-out court battle.

Sorry mate I appreciate you have a lot of experience in this but I know it happens, Not often I am sure but I know of at least two cases, my best mate at work hit a guy with no brake lights and his insurance didn’t pay out and they even suggested he claimed for whiplash which he didn’t do as he felt the fault was even. It was a 10mph shunt in the middle of Tamworth. I also know of another incident (a friend works for the police forensics down south) and they went to extent of checking the rear bulbs of cars after a big smash as they could tell whether the filaments were broken before or during the smash somehow. They may be rare events but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. And skips are legally required to have lights on them if they are parked on the public highway.

I love the idea of them, but suspect even if I had one it wouldn't get used enough.  

A 1965 MPW drophead wouldn't exactly be the best vehicle for the two outings I need to make today, i.e. taking a load of cardboard to the tip and going to Asda.  The truly discerning motorist chooses a battered and filthy mk4 Mondeo for those kind of duties (obv).

RR never ever appealed and were the antithesis of what I like in cars........ until I drove one. When my Father in law stopped being a bomb disposal bloke he decided on the equally dangerous profession of wedding car hire as a potential income. We test drove a few, he had always dreamed of owning one but hated every one we drove. I utterly loved them, I thrashed the fuck out of them and there is nothing funnier than watching someone hear a screeching tyre and turn around expecting to see a yobbo in a Corsa only to see a Roller at obscene lean angles. Sadly he decided it wasn’t for him and that was the end of that.

I used to help out a friend who dealt in used cars, and loved the scruffy Silver Shadow that was briefly in stock.  The best thing was once driving it through town whilst wearing an oily Johnny Fartpants t-shirt - I'll never forget the look of furious resentment I got from the middle aged driver of a shiny Montego.