Dutch spots - UK spots actually this time...

michiel

That one's actually a 1981 Autobianchi, whereas mine's a 1984 Lancia!

Are Autobianchi a spin off from Lancia? I assumed they were! So on SS90's thread where you said that you had also seen an A112, you weren't talking about that Lancia? :?:?: Is there any difference other than badge? So it's like the difference between Fiat 127 & Seat 127 i.e. just the name

I hadn't actually noticed the Autobianchi/Lancia thing before I checked the plates and posted this morning! I think the A112 was sold as a Lancia in the last couple of years of its existence, with just a few minor differences.

Technically (and we're getting into real anal-type technicalities here), Autobianchi was set up as a joint venture in 1955 between Fiat, Pirelli and the bicycle manufacturer Bianchi, to manufacture the 'Bianchina', which amounted to a more stylish 500. Throughout the 1960s Fiat used it to test market reaction to front-drive before launching it on the 128 and 127. The Lancia link is a bit convoluted and complex, but essentially it boils down to this - Fiat took full control of the company in 1968, and when they bought Lancia in 1969, integrated operations under that wing (this was obviously when Lancia actually had a degree of independence and the distinction still meant something). The A112 was the only Autobianchi to ever be badged as a Lancia - this happened across Europe, except for Italy and France. France adopted Lancia badging for the A112's replacement, the Y10, in 1989, and Italy finally switched in 1995 when the Ypsilon debuted.

Certain combinations indicate import, like AE-01-23 or AL-01-23, or you could go here, type in the number and then check the fourth 'sheet', historie (history), in this case it says:Datum eerste toelating 04-09-1975 - date of first registration everDatum aanvang laatste tenaamstelling 24-05-2007 - date of last transfer/owner changeDatum eerste afgifte Nederland 04-09-1975 - date of first registration in HollandSo if 1 and 3 aren't the same...

ahh... here's the one and only shite photo I've ever taken within your country borders (mid 2006) but the number plate is pretty much impossible to read! I had wondered if it was a "vintage" format, or perhaps a car imported later

Posted Image

When people forget to tick the right boxes they end up with old style blue or even modern yellow plates with 'modern' letter/numbers combinations. The old style import plates (which are series that for some reason weren't used back then) are 2 letters, 4 numbers, otherwise you get four letters, two numbers - can't see what the CX has. Looks to good to be an original Dutch one though!

It's been said that there are more Benzes of this type than bicycles in Amsterdam these days. Here's a shabby one.

Posted Image

Alfa Romeo Alfetta - imported

Posted Image

Posted Image

280 SE - also an import (-YB- series indicates imports too)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Super 1969 Transhit parked on campus, in Holland since January 2007

Posted Image

These two Benzes are used by the campus fire brigade... I hope there will never be a really big fire. They are from 1974 and 1970, but they've probably only done a couple of thousand kilometres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All the spots were near my workplace - I was still half drunk and on my way to a hangover, so I went for a refreshing lunchtime walk... Alfetta was parked on the hospital/university terrain in the most southern part of Amsterdam. Looks like a Swiss or Italian import to me, on LPG.First registered 30-06-1983Current owner since 27-01-2007First registered in Holland 24-02-2003

I know it's not really related to the topic but this one has been confusing me for a while. I'm usually OK with abbreviations but FTW has me beat. What's it mean? :oops::oops::oops::D

I too have asked this question! :oops: For The Win! Imagine it like top trumps or something.You spot a Triumph 2000. I try to beat you and spot a Triumph 2500 piAnd FTW (ie to REALLY beat you) it has a retro paddy hopkirk roof rack!

These two Benzes are used by the campus fire brigade... I hope there will never be a really big fire. They are from 1974 and 1970, but they've probably only done a couple of thousand kilometres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These things had some amazing production run didn't they, a lot of late model examples ended up in British bus fleets circa 1986 on C/D year letters.

I find it amazing that these elderly commercials are seemingly still in use, that trannie is particularly arousing. I wonder who would import a Alfa like that? Has shades of the Alfa 6 design in it, which would make me very happy to see.

Somehow there are always a few of those Transits for sale in Holland, either in ambulance or fire brigade spec. Well maintained in tiny villages or by factories in Germany, so pretty good stuff. I'm tempted to ask how long they are planning to keep the Benzes here, replacing them with two new trucks will probably cost hundres of thousands...

These things had some amazing production run didn't they, a lot of late model examples ended up in British bus fleets circa 1986 on C/D year letters.

Worcester being the place that springs to mind. In the late 90s when the city transport company finally phased them out it was the last place in the country still operating them as everyday buses! :shock: