E is for... exiting the fleet.

cms206

Aye that's got some character about it, still looks class in that metalic gold colour though!

I need to dig the original Council Estate out and get photos of the two together. Half my colleagues haven't noticed there are two more or less identical E-reg gold 740s in thw yard yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is your latest a 1987 model year or a 1988 with self levelling rear suspension and cool air blend centre vents?

Here was our "gold car" 740GLE Auto, me, Mrs6C and Mrs6C dad took it from 181k to 255k miles. 1987 registered but 1988 model year. Before we got it somebody had taken off the 14 inch alloys and put on 15 inch steels with covers from a slightly later GL. I was working in the building industry but my boss was car mad and one day he came back with a prize, a correct design wheel trim to replace the missing one on the car, I had indoctrinated him well in to Volvo details as it was lying in the road and he spotted it was the right one, turned around to get it for me.

post-4787-0-50764400-1556006028_thumb.jpg

It's ten days older than your one was Chris, and about seven weeks older than The Council Estate so definitely an '88MY - E354 VKD is 10/11/87, E868 YGS was 20/11/87 and E113 MFK is 1/1/88.

The only Volvo spec difference between my two is that E354 VKD has factory foglights.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The fog lights were dealer fit from a factory kit. I used to watch the mech saw the holes in the front spoilers!

Our gold car was very unusual as it had factory air con and when the heater valve broke open and dumped all its water it was hard to find a replacement as they were different to non a/c cars.

Our gold car was very unusual as it had factory air con and when the heater valve broke open and dumped all its water it was hard to find a replacement as they were different to non a/c cars.

And now paradoxically RHD aircon valves are available whilst RHD not aircon heater valves are unobtanium. Aftermarket or otherwise they simply don't exist (New at lest)

I've just had to adapt a Mk1 Golf valve to fit mine.

We were quite often asked about air conditioning but as a factory option added 10-12 weeks to the delivery time the take up was very low. We did fit after market air con a few times but in my opinion it was never as good as factory.

My knowledge is from selling Volvos 1985 -1991 at the Aylesbury dealer.

The fog lights were dealer fit from a factory kit. I used to watch the mech saw the holes in the front spoilers!

Oddly my old gold saloon, E650 YUR, had air con fitted but still had the non a/c heater valve!? Maybe the a/c wasn’t factory in that though?

I want to fit front fogs to my current 740, it’s just got the factory blanks in the front spoiler at the moment. Is the front fog wiring all in the cars? Or do you have to add that in? Be nice if the wiring was already there just so you can plug n play the new fogs once you cut the holes out!

Oddly my old gold saloon, E650 YUR, had air con fitted but still had the non a/c heater valve!? Maybe the a/c wasn’t factory in that though?

I want to fit front fogs to my current 740, it’s just got the factory blanks in the front spoiler at the moment. Is the front fog wiring all in the cars? Or do you have to add that in? Be nice if the wiring was already there just so you can plug n play the new fogs once you cut the holes out!

Now you are testing me all of this is 30+ years ago and I was on the sales side, but interested in what happened in the workshop. From memory there was a small wiring loom as part of the kit and I seem to remember not any old fog light would fit because of the bracket or something.

Fog lights were a popular accessory to have fitted along with tow bars by the dozen. Volvo recommended an addition oil cooler for towing but I can't remember if it was engine or transmission on autos.