BOXING DAY Romsey, Hants. Pre 76 cars

mercrocker

The "show" began as a gathering of 1950s American cars and hot rods and was organised purely to give like-minded enthusiasts something to do on Boxing Day.  As the years passed it got larger and started attracting British and European classic cars that were largely owned by friends of the original group.   Before long it attracted the attention of Constabulary and Council who both initially made strong attempts to stop it.   

Eventually, it was agreed that as long as permission from the car-park owners (some are Council operated, others private) and sufficient traffic control was undertaken by the organisers it would be tolerated.    

What became evident was the need to somehow limit numbers.  It wasn't feasible to organise bookings, tickets or anything similar under the terms of temporary use of what are after all public parking areas for 364 days of the year.   Therefore an age limit was placed instead of simply leaving it to marshals to argue about what was "classic" and what was not.   It might seem arbitrary but was originally set at a 30 year cut off for non-US vehicles and slightly later for American cars.  

No group was intended to be excluded but some kind of limit had to be placed so that the event remained a bit special and something that involved a little effort to get to and not simply an arena for folk who happened to drive older-than-average daily vehicles.   This event isn't put on by the Council, a business organisation or a Club - just one bloke and a few mates who gain nothing from it other than the kick of filling 3 or 4 car parks with interesting old motors.    

I should add that Steve Biddlecombe, the organiser has estimated this year's charity donation from the show buckets and the caterer's donations to have exceeded last year's figure and is so far £5700 plus and counting....All going to Prostate Cancer charity.

Excellent!  I love town centre events like this.

As Asimo says as well - much more interesting than a field! 

The show's FB page has loads more info and photos from yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/groups/229103480486114/

Nothing better than seeing nice old cars in a market town, they photograph so much better against a shop or pub than a piss-wet rugby pitch surrounded by giffers in folding chairs and flappy bunting shit.

Looked a good show, gutted I missed it,

Having fought to free a stuck clutch, I made it as far as the A3M before the brakes seized on.

sHhWjkL.jpg

Spent the rest of the morning freeing them off. Not a pretty sight, proper brake overhaul will be done soon as time allows.

taw04k9.jpg

liked for FC 101 estate, pretty sure it is the same colour as one Fatha thestag owned in the early 70s

As soon as I hear anything public I will let everybody know.   Things will probably tick along in the background for quite a few months and you are also right about the time it takes....

The organiser is also the fella that cuts my hair so holds down a full time business and this gig each year means a week off with no income, no drinking on Xmas day and a 4 am start on the day itself.  That's in addition to dealing with abuse (he gets a lot of that from irked people with post '76 cars and local Nimbys who would rather we all fucked off), Police, Council, Insurance and having to rope half a dozen unpaid and freezing cold assistants into the caper.   

I'm saying all this on his behalf - he keeps a lot of this to himself - but I am confident if he finds a way to run it next year, he will.   As soon as anything concrete (or tarmac) becomes apparent I will certainly chuck it on here.....