Another Bluebird for me!

Spottedlaurel

As written in the eBay thread, I've just picked up this rather tidy T72 Bluebird for daily duties after a swaparound in the SL fleet:

Posted Image

Costcutter Express indeed.

Posted Image

It's a facelift 1.8GS automatic. Surprisingly high-spec with PAS, EW+SR, CL, 62k on the clock with two owners from new, lots of history. Cost me £525 with plenty of fuel in the tank. Very, very clean - interior is immaculate, not much damage/rot on the body at all. Potential Doctor standard even?

Posted Image

After a night-time fill-up on the way home from near Farnham back to Norfolk. It drove fantastically, happily cruising at **mph with tall gearing once the lock-up on overdrive comes in above 47mph. Theoretically, at 95 it will be turning over at 3500rpm. The 1.8 engine isn't noticeably less powerful than the 2.0 in my last Bluebird.

The day worked out brilliantly, as Iwan had stayed over after the show at Billing and he just happened to be visiting OJC/RRer Goosegog down in Surrey so I got a lift all the way down to the leafy village where the very pleasant seller lived.

I'd hoped to have this excuse for buying a new car would result in me having something new to me/silly, but for my current needs this will do the job perfectly and I still have the Laurel when I fancy a change.

Excellent work SL, looks like a honey. My half-arsed efforts to sell mine have not amounted to much, had two interested parties who i have both had to give the brush-off to when i realised that the V5 has not come back from the sackless coal-munchers at the DVLA. I suspect I will find myself driving about in it fairly soon anyway, now the Volvo has gone the distance.Efforts to flog the Pony have not raised a single enquiry either so I think that might be finding its way to the musée in a couple of weeks too. So much for a clear out!

Camera is a DSLR Olympus E410 (I think), usually with the 14-50mm lens on it. It gets left on the automatic setting pretty much constantly, though I do turn the flash off for photos like those above. Bit OTT for much of what we need it for so will probably get a compact soon for snaps and spots.Ed, your new one looks pretty decent too. Having had a pre-facelift model before it surprised me how many toys they threw at these later ones. I suppose they used the old trick of high equipment levels to sell against more modern-looking opposition. Shame they swapped the indicators onto the wrong (left-hand) side of the steering wheel though! I miss the door lock light and voltmeter my SLX had, but this one seems quieter inside (rather hollow-sounding Bosal exhaust notwithstanding).I don’t think the auto ‘box works too badly, I’m enjoying learning its ways. It sometimes gets a bit flummoxed by the auto choke holding the rev’s too high (shame it’s not manual choke like the Accords).I find the handling pretty good, even though this one only has 165 wide tyres. They have a wide stance and can be hustled along quite well. Ride a bit crashy sometimes, but I’m used to that after 20+ years of Japanese cars. Better steering lock than the Primera, and being so square it’s easy to judge its corners.In summary, an excellent choice for something useable in everyday traffic but with low levels of technology thus avoiding angst at MoT time (no cat, ABS, ECU etc) and good rot-resistance. As I said, would have been good to have picked up something new to me but I know this will give me an easy life until I can afford a Camry or whatever. If at all possible I’ll keep it even then. I think you should keep yours Mr_B, for similar reasons – they’re a great back-up (still wish I hadn’t sold my saloon). Becoming rare too – there’s a worryingly small gap between what the banger racers will pay and what decent ones are worth. Think I ought to go and knock on the door of an elderly couple who’ve got a beige 4dr...

That looks a beaut SL, well done for giving it a deserving new home.Dependent on how long you have it and when I eventually get my 80s-mobiles sorted out I could probably find a T72 shaped spot for that so bear me in mind if/when it becomes surplus to requirements :wink: Whilst the Accord is nice to smoke about in, it won't last for ever and I think my next daily will either be a Bluebird or Corolla.

They're quite neat-looking these old blueys, but even when current I couldn't help but think, why the hell did they have to put those ugleeee vents on the rear flank? Having said that - they are very distinctive - always but always, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of these cars!