this weekend's £150 shite purchase. Is the plate worth flogging?

CortinaDave

So my missus has three bald tyres on her 2010 Fiesta and one quite spectaculary buckled alloy

Decided to see if I could pick up an entire car with decent wheels/tyres that I could swap onto hers for minimal cash.

Got this off facebay. MOT fail but near new tyres all round. £150.

The plan is probably to swap the wheels over with her duff ones and weigh it in for either all or most of my £150 back depending on what the scrappy pays.

Shame really as its tatty round the edges but actually drives really well and only seems to need a wheelbearing and a few minor bits and bobs according to its fail sheet.

I did wonder if I could flog the plate but not sure if you can when a car isnt tested

post-212-0-39163600-1545069373_thumb.jpgpost-212-0-36879500-1545069436_thumb.jpg

yeah lift the plate from it before it gets fragged, you don't need it to have a test any more apparently. Other parts look like ten-a-penny focus stuff but I reckon you'll see £250 for that plate, plus £100+ for the rest of it on the weighbridge, plus a set of new wheels and tyres. Good work

£80 to put it on retention - which, happy days, now lasts for ever - but as long as you're not expecting early retirement. As it's just initials the reg brokers will list it for you, but not buy it off you (like they would for one that spells a word) so you'll be listing it on ebay waiting for Terry to turn up. At least it's decent letters and you're not dealing with Ys and Us. Hundred and fifty for a quick sale perhaps? But yeah, it's minimal effort.

You could put the plate in retention for £80.

You could transfer the plate to your wife's car for £80 + whateve your insurance charges you for the change.

You could then list the plate on eBay or with a plate dealer.

If you've put it on retention then there will be nowt to pay. If you have put it in a car then there will be another £80 to pay + another change on your insurance when the car gets its original plate back.

It is easy enough to do on-line.

You might have to wait a while to get your money back until a buyer comes along.

The plates usually take forever plus one day to sell, but circa £250 on retention will see it gone, eventually. Be worth advertising it ASAP, as it's a good bet someone will buy it for their dad's Chrimbo present, or something. Scrap on the actual car should be £150 no danger (on alloys) but it can be seasonal and regional.

£80 to put it on retention - which, happy days, now lasts for ever -

Pretty sure it's only ten years mind.

Swap v5 online and you will have it by Friday latest then swap over reg onto retention straight away and car should be gone by Saturday. Piece of cake these days.

Googled R60 and it seems its a spec of BMW Mini...So if i can find Terry and he's got a very specific spec of mini I'm laughing.

Got to be worth a punt. The car can sit for a couple of weeks/a month while I see if it gets any interest, beyond that i'll put it on retention.

That said, got someone keen to give me 200 for the car as is but with the square wheels and bald tyres so it may live on if that deal actually happens

Fifty quid up and free alloys and tyres wouldnt be a bad result.

Googled R60 and it seems its a spec of BMW Mini...So if i can find Terry and he's got a very specific spec of mini I'm laughing.

Got to be worth a punt. The car can sit for a couple of weeks/a month while I see if it gets any interest, beyond that i'll put it on retention.

That said, got someone keen to give me 200 for the car as is but with the square wheels and bald tyres so it may live on if that deal actually happens

Fingers crossed.

Plenty of these have had it now, due to various caring* owners plus well known rust issues. This one doesn't actually look too bad so would be nice for it to live a bit longer.

I'd take quick money here and now over 'potential' money in the future if it were me.

I think Bob may have lost rather than gained?

I think you're right, but he'd know about how to actually sell the damn things, or how not to?

I kept a plate once in the hope of making a quick buck. It took about five years to sell, and I got about £200 for it. KEO 5Y, btw. 

Worth keeping the plate, if you don't mind shelling out the retention fee, but don't hold your breath for a quick sale.