Barrett's Unsolvable Nightmare Before Christmas Quiz!

barrett

I went to a village-hall quiz on Monday. I didn't do very well and moaned to the rest of my "team" that there should have been some car questions.

These are all car questions and I have no answers. None at all. Perhaps I should go get a Yaris on PCP.

Bump. Not much time left to get those entries in. I have realised that not only was this unsolvable by anyone but myself, it was also offputtingly (not a word) difficult, so sorry about that. It would be a shame if FIVE YEARS of planning went down the toilet though yeh, so at least have a crack at it, ya miserable bunch of cunts

I've come back to this a few times and I am still clueless.

I just don't know enough, which is pretty poor for someone who grew up surrounded by Motor Sport magazines in year-high piles going back to 1946 and Autocar back to when the mice had chewed them beyond reading.

I saw you'd had a pretty poor response so thought I'd have a bash.

I've not even sent you my answers as it became clear I'm an utter dunce with interesting old cars and have spent far too long concentrating on which models of Astra F came with electric front windows, year on year.

Right, here's the moment you've all been waiting for! I haven't had a spare second to tot the scores up yet, but just to put everyone out their misery:

Round one: odd one out

The odd one out is D. Skoda, Izh and Hotchkiss were all manufacturers of guns. The Mitsubishi Colt is only named after one

Round two: hiding in plain sight

These are all Citroen 2cvs. A - Charbonneaux, B - Akkermans, C - Allemano and D - Dagonet, further modified by a monsieur Pascal

Round three: odd one out

The odd one out is C. All the other cars use a Triumph Herald engine. That isn't a Triumph Herald, it's a Herald-Climax, powered by an 1100cc Coventry Climax unit. Apparently this conversion was offered commercially but I'm not sure by whom. Sorry, I'm a cunt.

Round four: find the theme

All these cars are unsuccessful revivals of old marques. A - Allard, B - Lea Francis, C - Pegaso, D - Vanwall, E - Lea Francis again, F - Duesenburg, G - Frazer Nash, H - Invicta

Round five: Music round

The odd one out is B. The Austin Maxi and Volvo estate are both name checked in songs by The Fall. The Corsa's UK TV ad campaign used The Fall's 'Touch Sensitive' as its soundtrack

Round six: find the theme

All three cars formed the basis of Monteverdis. Yeah.

Round seven: hiding in plain sight

The connection is all four are Rolls-Royces, although without the trademark radiator. A - Poberejsky, B - Binder, C - Hooper for Nubar Gulbenkian D - Labourdette Vutotal

Round eight: pairing up

Car 1 matches with car C - the OTI microcar was built in the old Bugatti factory

Car 2 matches car B - both designed by Gabriel Voisin

Car 3 matches car D - old coachbuilders Gill, who built the all weather tourer body on that Rolls, went on to build the Gill Getabout postwar

Car 4 matches car A - both ACs

Round nine: taxi!

A - Italdesign Alfa from 1978

B - Michelotti Triumph from 1965

C - Renault, based on a Juvaquatre, 1948ish

D - Some soviet thing the name of which escapes me. That's right, this quiz is so difficult I've forgotten the answer to my own question

Round ten: find the theme

They all use doors from other manufacturers. Austin 3 Litre (Landcrab, Maxi et al), Frazer Nash Continental (Porsche 356), Ginetta G12 (MGB), Bond Equipe (Triumph Herald)

Round eleven: pairing up

A and 2 - Opel and DKW Monza

B and 1 - Allard and Trident Clipper

C and 4 - Lanchester and Riley Sprite

D and 3 - Rochdale and Riley Riviera

Round twelve: find the theme

Doggos! A - Terrier Mk2, B - Willys Whippet, C - Siva Saluki and D - AC Greyhound

Well, there you go. I hope you found that as uninteresting as I did. Wassail!