Cars we were brought home in

mnde

What car were you brought home from hospital in when you were a baby?

Here's mine:

Posted Image

In this colour and all, from memory of old photo albums! At the time my parents also had a blue 1301 estate. Dad tells me that he ended up with two Simcas after his Opel Manta went because it wouldn't take a carrycot!

My sister got:

Posted Image

in... ah, this blue I think but with the green one's wheels:

Posted Image

Here's me strapped into the back of it

Posted Image

It obviously made an impression on me because once I got hold of the Haynes manual (which I still have, complete with "This book belongs to Mark Evans" scrawled in the front inside page in purple felt tip pen, and various scribbles in pencil on the technical drawings for the suspension system) the obsession began! I used to take it to bed with me to read...

My brother got:

Posted Image

but with black and white check seats.

Posted Image

It was 7 years old at the time and a bit ropey apparently so my parents got shot of it not long after. Didn't have a car from then until I was 13, dad commuting on a scooter then later bigger bikes.

This isn't a picture of the very car, but it was just like this one but gold instead of grey. My Dad bought it new in 1983, I was born and brought home in it in 1984.

Posted Image

This actually is the very car, but unfortunately this is the best picture I've found of it.

Posted Image

One of my earliest memories from when I was 3 involves that car. Understandably I have a big soft spot for them now and would love to get a good one. I've not even seen one of that generation in years, though...

My sister, born in 1981, was brought home in this very Buick Regal Turbo that Dad had bought new in '79 as a left-over '78.

Posted Image

The turbo kept failing on it so GM eventually bought it back and Dad got the Mazda. Hasn't had an American car since...

A 1970 Mk2 Ford Cortina automatic estate. Column shift and a starter ring gear made of chocolate, according to my dad. It went west soon after I was brought home, to be replaced by the first of the company cars - a Marina 1.3, I think.

One of these for me, but in dark blue. And rustier.

Posted Image

I think it was one of those anyway. My Dad owned one when I was born, but I was too young to remember myself, and it had a habit of not working.

It got scrapped when I was a nipper - I once remember the road workers bouncing it onto the kerb as it was broken again when they came to put fresh tarmac down!

Then we were carless for quite a few years, but it was worth it when in about 1985, my Dad got a metallic bronze Hillman Hunter! Ten years old and quite rusty with permanently squeaky wipers, but it had overdrive and was almost brown, so therefore very, very cool.

I was brought home in a K reg Triumph Toledo.Sister came home in a M reg Volvo 145 Estate.Next Sister in a T reg Chrysler Alpine.

I used to take it to bed with me to read...

That IS serious! :lol:
Oh yes! I was fascinated by the GS Haynes manual, but I have no memory of the car itself.I've reuploaded the baby picture to my original post because it was from a members only GS Yahoogroup. It was taken in December 1979, around Christmas. The car disappeared some time between August '80 and December '82 when my brother was born. I'm told it disgraced itself by suffering a driveshaft failure on a family holiday after which it "had to go." This obviously tarnished the GS's image in my mother's mind because she recalled the incident while trying to dissuade me from buying my GSA in 2001 :lol: I'd registered on the GS yahoogroup looking for a car to buy, and the first reply to my post was from a chap near Oswestry with a GSA Break for sale and he sent me pictures. It just had to be! The first car I'd ever bought :D and for a long while it was my only car.

A humble, black 2 door Morris 1000. I still have the scar on my right cheek from the broken driver's seat dropping down on me when I was a year old. My mother never forgave my Dad for that. I never forgot to thank him for all the lovely shite he brought home. Orange Avenger, Red Volvo P1800, White Alfa 2600 Sprint (!), Mercedes 200, and a huge stack of company cars over the years. I got it all from him!