The Shiters guide to Vegetables ( Running on Veg)

320touring

The BMW 320D filter is good but costs loads. You can buy a Britpart Freelander 2.0Di filter for a fiver that does the same job (inline diesel filter with 8mm tails).

Also you're going to lose the fuel heating.

I'd suggest premixing the waste veg oil with 10% petrol or 20% diesel, letting it settle and filter the good oil that settles after two weeks.

The stuff in your filter sock looks grim.

Ta, will check out the Freelander filter when it comes time to update it. Aware of losing the warming, with where the filter is it is well protected from direct cold air and should get some heat off the radiator. 

Cheers for the suggestion on the mixing. Will try that with the last batch and see how it looks afterwards. It does look pretty crap in the video, it was quite bubbly from being pumped in just a few seconds before, does look better in person. Certainly samples I've taken off have looked good.

Off at a bit of a tangent here, but bear with me..

Having drawn the best part of 8L of engine oil out the Merc yesterday, I was wondering if it could be filtered and put in the tank alongside the veg oil?

I have a small coke bottle with a 20% engine oil/80% veg mix in it - been in for a week - no obvious gelling or separating, despite low temperatures?

It'd essentially be a free 60miles or so, and I always have a pre and main fuel filter in the car, so can swap as needed?

You can run on it, but it will contain metal particles in suspension that might do more damage to your injection pump etc than a stray bit of chip, I think used engine oil is quite acidic as well as being a carcinogen so wear gloves.

Hmm, ahm no keen on daeing it the damage:(

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see JimH of this parish on Wed to collect a sample of veg he had lying.

Decanted it into a clear container and let it sit outside til today. The water droplets are on the outside - rain? in Scotland? Never..

No sediment, no clouding so in the tank it went.

We'll see how it goes!

post-17572-0-77573500-1549722936_thumb.jpg