BMW e60 5 series,

Inline four diesel.

Inline six diesel

Inline four petrol

Inline six petrol

V8 petrol

V10 petrol

Land Rover Defender

Inline four diesel (NA, turbo and turbo inter cooled)

Inline five turbo diesel

Inline four petrol (NA in two sizes)

Inline six petrol

V8 petrol

Don’t remember the defender having an in-line six unless you mean the Isuzu unit the Aussie ones have or the IOE in the series 3 ( not a feckin defender !!!!)

Rover 75

Petrol 4 cyl, 4 cyl Turbo, V6 FWD

Diesel 4 cyl FWD

Petrol V8 RWD

I think re-engineering a FWD car for a low volume RWD variant seems madness.

What they did was take essentially the RWD E36 3-series, make it FWD, then when it came to the V8 they totally replaced the z-axle rear for a bespoke, RWD trailing-arm set up.

Don’t remember the defender having an in-line six unless you mean the Isuzu unit the Aussie ones have or the IOE in the series 3 ( not a feckin defender !!!!)

IIRC seth efrica built their own with a 2.8 BMW 6.

Morgan

Various Ford four cylinders from sidevalve to Zetec, Fiat twin cam, Rover V8, Jag V6 and probably lots of others.

Rover T series turbo, or have I imagined that one?

Standard/Triumph/Ferguson four

Ford Sierra

1294cc Pinto I4 SOHC

1593cc Pinto I4 SOHC

1796cc Pinto I4 SOHC

1993cc Pinto I4 SOHC

1998cc DOHC I4 DOHC

1598cc CVH I4 CVH

1769cc CVH I4 CVH

1999cc Cologne V6 OHV

2293cc Cologne V6 OHV

2792cc Cologne V6 OHV

2935cc Cologne V6 OHV

5.0 L V8 OHV (South Africa only)

1.8 L 1753cc I4 SOHC Turbodiesel

2.3 L 2304cc I4 OHV Indenor Diesel

Do we need another for the Cossie?  2.0 inline turbot?

If you have to sell your car with more than two to three engine options, you designed a shit car that doesn't properly work with either.

Not entirely true.

In the case of the W124, you can have a small diesel or petrol engine suitable for economy minded drivers, smooth six pots for those that enjoy driving and a V8 model for rich petrolheads who crave speed. All get to enjoy a well designed car.

Nothing wrong with that.

Rover 75

Petrol 4 cyl, 4 cyl Turbo, V6 FWD

Diesel 4 cyl FWD

Petrol V8 RWD

I think re-engineering a FWD car for a low volume RWD variant seems madness.

If only they'd survived long enough to add the Petrol Supercharged V8 RWD to that list.

I know Zeus do them now, but they'd have been a hell of a flagship model from the factory.

Morgan

Various Ford four cylinders from sidevalve to Zetec, Fiat twin cam, Rover V8, Jag V6 and probably lots of others.

Rover T series turbo, or have I imagined that one?

Don't later Plus 8s have a BMW lump , still a petrol V8 though, I also remember Rover 820 engined Plus 4s. What do the current 4 pots use?

Edited to add, there's not one it's called the Roadster and comes with a 3.7 Ford Cyclone V6. Some Septic Transit engine presumably.

Not entirely true.

In the case of the W124, you can have a small diesel or petrol engine suitable for economy minded drivers, smooth six pots for those that enjoy driving and a V8 model for rich petrolheads who crave speed. All get to enjoy a well designed car.

Nothing wrong with that.

Everything is wrong with a W124. It perfectly illustrates my point.

Similar they may have been but the 75 sits on its own unique platform, as the original plan to adapt the 5-series platform for FWD had proved prohibitively expensive. The only major contribution from BMW is a modified version of the E46's rear suspension.

Not sure how much harder it would have been to use the 5-series arrangement given what they ended up with looks exactly the same as a 3.

Toyota-Supra-III-Turbo-8517.jpg

In Japan the A70 Supra had a properly contrived engine line-up. They were all straight 6, DOHC 24v affairs but had different outputs and with/without Turbos;

2.0 Non Turbo 2G-GE 150bhp

2.0 Twin Turbo 2G-GTE 200bhp

3.0 Non-Turbo 7M-GE 200ish bhp

3.0 Single Turbo 7M-GTE 220ish bhp

2.5 Twin Turbo vvti 1JZ-GTE 275bhp (officially, probably a bit more in reality)

6 cylinder, 24 valves and DOHC, Twin Turbos. The most contrived way to make 200bhp?

Land Rover Defender

Inline four diesel (NA, turbo and turbo inter cooled)

Inline five turbo diesel

Inline four petrol (NA in two sizes)

Inline six petrol

V8 petrol

Landover Australia added the 'Perentie' 110 which has an Isuzu 3.9 diesel with or without turbo.

Even more worrying was the 2 cylinder 2 stroke Turner diesel that was fitted in the early '50's. Though not a factory offering it featured in some of their publicity and must have spurred them to develop their own 2 litre diesel which is substantially different to the 2.25 and yet another choice. Well, choice might not be the right word.