Berlingo multispace with sunroof - living the dream?

Marm Toastsmith

I didn't bid on this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-berlingo-1-9d/163410008899

Because I don't need the hassle. But it got me thinking.

In a way, a 1.4 petrol Berlingo Multispace with a full length sunroof (and a towbar) would be the perfect car. A bit like a modern day Dyane/2CV - practicality, space, cheap car tax. What more could anyone want? It would kill the two birds that I currently own my 205 and my CR-V for. And I could get the missus an automatic japanese coupe in gold so she can fulfil her own car fantasies without compromise (or me constantly threatening to replace "her" car).

I realise most people bought diesels because they are inherently a cheapskates motor, but I don't want a diesel. Too smelly and (I'd imagine) zero chance of being able to afford a ULEZ compliant one...I'm thinking ahead here.

A 1.4 petrol with a full length sunroof is probably pretty rare (does it even exist?)

And can you have a roof rack with the sunroof?

Some of them seem to have a glass roof. Nice? Pointless?

I found just the thing in istanbul. That's a start... https://www.ilanversen.com/ilan/citroen-berlingo-1-4-multispace-1803283

Most importantly, are they awful, brilliant, or all three?

^^^^ Mine is this one, Multi with glass panels in the fibreglass roof.... I use it as a day camper, fold out bed in the back and a fold out kitchen in a box.. The full length sunroof models are sort after because sleeping under the stars in the comfort of a fold out bed is the dream for some.. they are pretty unusual..

^^^^ Mine is this one, Multi with glass panels in the fibreglass roof.... I use it as a day camper, fold out bed in the back and a fold out kitchen in a box.. The full length sunroof models are sort after because sleeping under the stars in the comfort of a fold out bed is the dream for some.. they are pretty unusual..

Is it nice? 6ft long in the back? A day camper/surf wagon would be the third bird that neither of my current cars is killing. Sounds great.

Perhaps I should have bought that £100 diesel one on eBay. Thing is I don't need a new car now. This is something to aspire to. And it gives me an excuse to spend every spare minute of my life searching for the perfect car on eBay/gumtree/forums/etc.

Sold these brand new. Sunroof was standard on the original 1.8 3 door petrols. It became an option on the Forte spec when the facelift M59 models came in to stream at the tail end of 2002. The Modutop glass roofs came as standard in 2003 on the Desire which previously was an option pack on the early Fortes. If my memory serves me well you could spec a 1.4 Forte with the full Webasto electric roof but as many 1.4s were bought as basic practical runarounds most customers didn't want to stomach the 500 quid extra for the roof, and would have rather spent the extra on a Desire which had more creature comforts and the Modutop roof. Your more likely to find a 1.6 petrol with the sunroof and or obviously a diesel. Currently in the family fleet we have a basic 1.4 petrol Pug Partner, and my 2.0 Hdi pictured here in the Summer. Well looked after they are fantastic. There are plenty of abused ones around so it pays to buy on condition rather than spec.The 1.4s are a bit underpowered though. post-20412-0-30771700-1544381126_thumb.png

Everyone I know seems to have one for all the reasons you have mentioned. Not sure any have the sunroof but hey, the rest of the features are ace. I have been impressed with the diesel one we bought for my Dad and have been using for the past few months. We got it for him to stand in for his other diesel one while it has its fuel injection timing issue sorted out... meanwhile he has borrowed another petrol Berlingo and so will have the choice of three in due course...

I'd have one myself, definitely.

I was really tempted by one of these when my search for a good cheap C15 proved fruitless. Insurance, like anything modern, was a killer for me. I still probably would have done if they did an auto, which I don't think they did.. Did they? I think you can get an auto Kangoo.. but... you know.. Renault. 

Slightly different choice but we have a Skoda Roomster with the full glass roof.

Not an unusual option either and they seem cheap for what they are.

Does all the Berlingo stuff like removable seats etc, van like space car like drive.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Is it nice? 6ft long in the back? A day camper/surf wagon would be the third bird that neither of my current cars is killing. Sounds great.

Perhaps I should have bought that £100 diesel one on eBay. Thing is I don't need a new car now. This is something to aspire to. And it gives me an excuse to spend every spare minute of my life searching for the perfect car on eBay/gumtree/forums/etc.

I like it, I have a van too, it's my third.. The modutop is very heavy and makes for a very top heavy cornering experience, can't go thrashing them around. The suspension makes for a nice and floaty ride but the compromise is roll in the bends and can induce sea sickness on uneven roads..

As a camper there is compromise here too, the vehicle is small and easy to get into places, light and easy to manoeuvre but internally sleeping isn't exactly king size bed like, so cosy for two roomy for one and can take some fiddling around to set up and pack away, but that's a choice you make when you either buy or make the box / bed camper thing.. I made mine, it is just a basic box with slide out cooker on kitchen draw runners, plenty of storage and I have a cheap awning that I chuck over the tail gate for a bit of privacy when I need a turd...

This shape of car is really what everyone needs rather than wants.I couldn't find one when I was looking for more space,so bought a Doblo with seats,which is just as practical.My brother in Spain has used his for about 10 years.It has two unusual features.The first is that it has a DW8,but has a Bosch pump instead of the fragile and much more common Delphi one.The second is something that you can't get in the UK.It a four door,by which I mean that it has a tailgate,two door on the passenger side,and one door on the driver's.

The full length sunroof is ace...actually makes the berlingo the most versatile machine ever. I can confirm that a full size fridge freezer will stand up thro the roof happily during a house move. Ours ended up being driven from Glasgow to live out its days in the south of france somewhere

That's it. Opening roof doubles practicality in terms of a load. And it's fun. I can imagine having lengths of timber sticking out. Or surfboards. A bit like a huge pick-up truck. Very cool.

I think the sunroof is the deal breaker for me. Which I think rules out Partners, Doblos, Kangoos, Roomsters and Yaris Versos. Right?

That's it. Opening roof doubles practicality in terms of a load. And it's fun. I can imagine having lengths of timber sticking out. Or surfboards. A bit like a huge pick-up truck. Very cool.

I think the sunroof is the deal breaker for me. Which I think rules out Partners, Doblos, Kangoos, Roomsters and Yaris Versos. Right?

I think the only issue here might be the age of these now. Most of the early ones were 1.8 petrol versions and werent that great on fuel either. Cant imagine many survivors. Rust is your enemy. From memory inner wings and sills.

I think the only issue here might be the age of these now. Most of the early ones were 1.8 petrol versions and werent that great on fuel either. Cant imagine many survivors. Rust is your enemy. From memory inner wings and sills.

Yep... don't seem to be many around for sale. Might have missed the boat but you never know.

If memory serves me right .... it probably doesn't, when on holiday in Turkey they used these as taxis/dolmus , I'm sure that they were available in bench seat at front , standard back seat and 2 or 4 drop down dickey seats in the boot area . We're they ever available over here in that sort of format , not necessarily in bright yellow

Talbot seems to have gone quiet on here lately but I know he and his wife are big fans. Literally the most practical family car short of a minibus.

Being able to get two smalls plus a teenager plus all their stuff in, and both drivers quite like them too, is no small feat. Plus you can fold all the seats down in two minutes and use it as a reasonable size van. They seem to end up in the same space as faithful family pets.

My cousin (who is a vet, this is relevant) drives a Berlingo.  Gets her two little kids, associated buggies, husband and assorted dogs in with absolutely no problem and has been a great car for them.  I don't think either of them actively like it but they certainly respect it for what it can do.

Bloke at work's Dad bought a £400 Peugeot Partner a few weeks ago and lent it to him while he does up his new house.  I helped him load up his DJ gear in it the other day and it's an eminently practical thing.  Even better, it's registered as a car because it has passenger seats so he can take a full load to the tip without being stopped.

Wow nice find and it's even an auto... bet it's slow though.

Sunroof's not quite as big as a cit, is it? But still... pretty nifty.

I just showed it to my lovely wife and she said, "but it's a Renault".

Is her prejudice justified, I wonder? This is not about badge snobbery, just fear of unreliable motoring. Her sister bought a new Scenic recently and vowed "never again".

Looks brilliant though. Love the rear doors and styling of the Kangoo. Seats look quite nice, even.