Annual Migration - The Ongoing Adventures of a 740

rml2345

Hello Volvo pickers!

We've made it to Sandbach services because it's teatime and why not.

post-4786-0-83575600-1544377078_thumb.jpg

So far things are going quite well other than having to fit the spare as one tyre was rather more worn than Mr. Plod would have liked. I think the tracking could do with being done.

post-4786-0-83003100-1544377190_thumb.jpg

And a load of other common 740 niggles like the geriatric instruments and exploding interior plastics.

I'd forgotten how old they feel to drive compared to the 850 too. It's fucking ace.

Don't forget to save both the fuel pumps (inline and lift), the 'usual' relays (green behind ashtray and one on LHS (?) inner wing) and the tailgate struts (though these might have been done already?) ... also the bonnet!

There is still fuel in tanks so haven't taken the inline pump but I have spare pumps ob the shelf.

Usual relays... pah! ALL the relays, fuses, bulbs, bulb holders, dash bulbs, binnacle, the lot.

Bonnet on pre-facelift ones I'm sure is different - all mine bar one have been flatface ones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It does indeed, well remembered! Driver's side centre vent to be exact.

With a bit of luck, then, the cms206 car will have some spare that are the same shape...

Think there may have been a few dash/console lights out also? Easy enough to change if cms206 has a few spares. Volvos have wheat bulbs from memory, in various colours. Whoever had my blue 740GLE estate before me changed almost all of them for yellow, regardless of what colour they should have been... a bit disconcerting finding the main beam warning light is yellow-ish green instead of blue...

Facelift 740s share wings, bonnet and bumpers with the 940; facelift 760 front ends are different to the 940, flatface 740s and 760s are the same. All are the same A-pillar back.

My ex Gary Cox/Sigmund Fraud 740 is being broken at the moment to provide parts for the gold Council Estate.

Huzzah! :-)

@cms206 - are the headlamp wipers the same on the early and late cars? Can't remember if they worked or not...

The headlights themselves are different but I don't think the wiper arms and motors are; of the sixteen Volvos I've had only the first was a facelift 700 so I can't actually remember.

Ironically enough it was a dark grey facelift G-reg 2.3i GLE auto which I bought from rml2345 and I swore after that one I'd never set arse in another Volvo.

My second Volvo was the Council Estate which was bought purely for house clearance duties with 6 weeks MOT. It's now half way through it's sixth year on fleet. It's only Swedish stablemate is my 16th Volvo, an 850TDi.

Huzzah! :-)

@cms206 - are the headlamp wipers the same on the early and late cars? Can't remember if they worked or not...

I think they are the same on pre and post face-lift 740s but the ones on face-lift 760s are different just to make life difficult. If they don't work currently it'll give me something else to fiddle with...

Bloody Scots, coming down here and stealing our Volvos, and from so close to Chez Silver too!

I genuinely fear for mine! I’ve had to chain it the ground, only yesterday I found it attempting to migrate northwards!

It’s almost like it could sense the presence of Volvo loving Scotsman down this end of the country and it was drawn to them.

As far as I know mines never been north of the border... will it ever? I suppose it’s inevitable?

I genuinely fear for mine! I’ve had to chain it the ground, only yesterday I found it attempting to migrate northwards!

It’s almost like it could sense the presence of Volvo loving Scotsman down this end of the country and it was drawn to them.

As far as I know mines never been north of the border... will it ever? I suppose it’s inevitable?

Like the setting of the sun it's inevitable that one day your Volvo will have a Scottish address.

They all do it eventually. It'a like a call to prayer but with square sausage. A call to slice if you like.

Today I found a haggis and bottle of scotch in the glovebox. Some weird shits happening. It’s like it wants to go!

There’s not many of them around down here anymore. Apart from mine I know of a couple of other estate’s and a saloon.

Maybe that could be a new business venture? Sourcing southern volvo’s From our favourable climate and exporting them north of the border! I could run a sort of smuggling operation, like gun running but more Swedish?

Bit off topic but is that red coach an Icarus body?

It's an ex Ulsterbus Wright Endeavour-bodied Leyland Tiger. I'm sure Mr CMS can give you chapter and verse on its history.

That; one of a pair of 1992 Volvo-powered Leyland Tigers with Wright Endeavour bodywork. Our pair are ex-Ulsterbus Goldliner 49-seaters 1408/13 (WXI 4408/13) though both are now 72-seaters on mainland plates (K984 JNV/J465 MJL respectively).

1408 was the first Wright "Classic" built with that familliar front end. They only built 25 Endeavours and most of them saw further service after Ulsterbus.

Today I found a haggis and bottle of scotch in the glovebox. Some weird shits happening. It’s like it wants to go!

They all want to go eventually...

There’s not many of them around down here anymore. Apart from mine I know of a couple of other estate’s and a saloon.

Maybe that could be a new business venture? Sourcing southern volvo’s From our favourable climate and exporting them north of the border! I could run a sort of smuggling operation, like gun running but more Swedish?

The SVM have been doing just that for years. I think I'm responsible for at least eight heading north alone, Dave's done three and Adrian's done three as well I think. We didn't get the name Scotoshite Volvo Massiv! for nothing.