It's here!

Renault18

Well.

Posted Image

Here's the R18TS safely back in Cheshire. After a 10 hour round trip to South Wales, the 18, which hasn't been used since God-knows when rolled off the transporter and onto my drive. It's done 30397 miles, registered in September '79 - one owner with service books, but no MOTs, mainly because it's been stored.

I put a battery on to see what did or more likely didn't work, rocked it in gear to see if it was free and gingerly (and stupidly I know) tried the starter with HT lead off. It cranked normally, so feeling courageous, I emptied 5 litres of petrol in, replaced HT and it started instantly :D

Came off autochoke without any problems - fan cuts in when it should - idles sweetly.

Downsides are that it's not as good as the ones I've got. I suspect the master cylinder needs replacing because brake pedal jams down and won't release, tyres and brake hoses are pretty much useless, the bumpers are not good and there are lots of micro blisters over various areas of the body - plus the usual rot in the scuttle - Oh and when it got warm and I revved it, the centre exhaust disintegrated by the rear box which then fell off.

Posted Image

Still - I'm happy - Service and exhaust when it stops pissing down, then try and collect the brake bits :wink:

Brakes were also the first thing needing sorting on my 9 (sticking front calliper) as that lost all stopping power over the course of a journey - quite scary :shock: Still looks like a good purchase from where I'm sitting, I'm starting to feel an urge to own either an 18 or a 20 as have admired both since forever! 8)

That looks KRACKIN man, you've gotta expect that the brakes will need going over on a car thats sat for yonks though, they always do. Always remember when a mate of mine got one of these for £30 about 15 years ago, we loved the central locking button on the middle of the dash. TEH LUXE! Eventually he gave it to the fire brigade who chopped the roof off it for the lulz.I would like a diesel estate renner 18, theres one lives over the road from my sister in laws house, sounds like a clapped out old JCB when he starts it up.

A quick heads up Mr Eighteen:Smiths of Bloxham, a biiiiig scrapyard near Banbury (Oxon) have got a goldy green B plate 18 saloon. Looks to be a complete car, sat on its belly with no rimz.They're quite cheap so it would be worth going down there to rape & pillage.

Cheers - may just do that. These are v.difficult to find in yards now.France on the other hand?? :D

Guest Tony Hayers

Ohhh thats very nice.TH is a Swansea tag, and I can just see the Pontamman dealers sticker in the window.

Glad your keeping another renault on the road i haven't seen an 18 on the road since the late 90's when i saw a black 18 turbo for sale with tax an mot for £295 ono! Really like renault 18's only know of one left in tamworth were i work. Has been standing for i think at least a year always drive pass when i get the chance too in the work's van just to make sure it's still there. :D B reg estate in a metalic colour not sure of the exact shade a gold/silver maybe a carvan usualy gets in the way so hard to tell with black stripes on the lower half with i think standard alloys too. Im guessing there are more saloons than estates left now like most older cars.