Right, it's sodding freezing in the shed so it's about time I wrote an update. So.... errr, update on fings wot i has dun.
Last time on LumberBus, I cleaned it and removed the crusty front wiper mechanism, plus some other shit.
So, the wiper mechanism was suffering from a chronic case of metal exfoliation, specifically the pressed steel bracket which held the motor and spindles. Tracking down a good one of these proved, unsurprisingly, to be a complete and total Michael Gove.
Further inspection of the bracket showed it was salvageable if I could remove the rotten mounting lug and replace it, either with one from a bracket that had rot elsewhere or by making a new one. A call to Dean Hunter of Peugeot Parts Spares Classic Bits Yorkshire French Car Wombles limited resulted in another wiper bracket with elsewhere rot being posted to me. I then set about removing the rotten lug from the bracket to use, and the good lug from the bracket to not use - or vice versa, I got confused several times doing this. Anyway, drill out spot welds, smack with cold chisel and clean up the leftover mess resulted in this:
Then it was just a case of shot blast, spot weld, prime, paint and waxoyl. I have no pictures of this as it was dull as fuck and I forgot due to the mind numbing tedium. I do however have a picture of the wiper motor in bits, it was very sluggish and closer inspection revealed solid old grease in the gearbox, and dry spindle/motor bearings.
There was also a bit of gunk around the motor brushes.
I was quite surprised that it could be easily disassembled - just some M4 bolts, normally anything electrical with Valeo written on it is held together with a lethal combination of spit, Kleenex and one-hit plastic tangs there to break off and/or lacerate the unsuspecting "enthusiast". Anyway, a bit of panel wipe cleaned things nicely.
After that, I chucked it all in a tub of clean engine oil and left it on the radiator for 2 weeks to let the phosphor bronze bushes have a good soak. Then christmas happened and I got soaked in booze, so there are no photos of anything else to do with the motor! Anyway, it went back together and is now smooth as silk.
The complete linkage was then re-assembled and installed back in the car. I think you'll agree it looks way less shit now.
Next, the freshly repainted scuttle cover along with new washer lines etc. Again, stripping and painting this was more tedious than the time the girlfriend tried to talk to me about Lino colour choices for the kitchen floor, so there are no photos. The plastic trim cover also got re-dyed, which was tedious but very rewarding - I'm going to cry when I run out of Plasti-Care.
Then, I decided, rather unusually for me, that this dent in the passenger front door was annoying.
So, off with the door card and some careful persuading with a complete panel beating kit and a craftsmen's eye (rubber mallet with smeggy old duvet taped around it wielded by a bearded cretin) resulted in this.
Fuck off Boyd Coddington, I has skills too.
And now for something completely different......no, its not a larch - its the rattly tappets. There had been a horrendous oil leak from the rocker cover, so with new seals to hand (one for the cover, and one for each spark plug tube) I decided to whip it off to clean and replace and to adjust the tappet clearances as well as the poor thing was very clattery.
No real horror stories were found, just a bit of grime here and there. The tappets were WAY out, the exhausts in particular. The thickest feeler gauge I had was 20 tho, and that slopped about in there like a Cornichon in Paris Hilton. As Arnie will tell you, its all about the lift, and now I definitely have more! The rocker cover and surrounding area were all cleaned up, then it all went back together. This XN1 engine is a real treat to work on, everything is easy to access and well laid out and has been liberally sprayed in oil by all the various leaks - so nothing was seized.
Then, some different wheels got fitted. I have been "lent" these by a mate, who has got them for his utterly bollocks Subaru Brat (I really don't get it) so annoyingly I have to give them back. But that means the steelies are off and are being shot blast and then powder coated, I have a full set of Maxxis Van tyres to go on them which I got off of the bay for a steal. Its all about keeping that deep profile tyre to maintain the waft!
I really do like these GTi alloys, if anyone has a set up for grabs please let me know.
Steelies in the boot of the 305 and ready to go off for blasting (yes the plastic caps will be removed).
And that's where we are up to now.
Next time on Lumberbus: I try to fix the rear washer, an MOT station "inspects" the underside for "structural integrity", I try to get my head around the vacuum operated heater controls, I try to swap the speedo for one with definitely the same amount of miles AND I finally fulfil my lifelong ambition to get Peugeot Connect 4.....