Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

Hiya 320, just listened to that cold start vid properly and here's my take - three glows will take the edge off any battery not in its prime, but it started well, ran ok for a second then died. Which means a bubble of air or the fuel was so thick it wouldn't come down the lines quickly enough. Was it me or were those warning lights dimmer second time the starter turned it over? A good battery of the right spec is vital for these engines running veg in cold weather.

How was it as temps dipped to -10 and what sort of veg/dino ratio were you on? Google 2EHN, find somewhere you can source 99% pure acetone for a tenner or less for 5l and add that at 0.15%. Below zero, 1% petrol reduces viscosity nicely without harming power output too much on a N/A engine, I'd want 5-10% too. Below -10 I'd add 30% BP or Esso diesel unless you're running rapeseed.

Saving ~£70 a tank, isn't it worth £30 spent on a mains preheater? They're ace - way cheaper than batteries and starter motors and much quicker than chasing leaks caused by gloopy fuel. Otherwise a hot water bottle round the spin on filter improves the first minute of running and if there is ever a FTW (unusual with OM60x, mine always went even on 100% veg at -5) a kettle of boiling water over the lines and injectors usually sorts things.

Hiya 320, just listened to that cold start vid properly and here's my take - three glows will take the edge off any battery not in its prime, but it started well, ran ok for a second then died. Which means a bubble of air or the fuel was so thick it wouldn't come down the lines quickly enough. Was it me or were those warning lights dimmer second time the starter turned it over? A good battery of the right spec is vital for these engines running veg in cold weather.

How was it as temps dipped to -10 and what sort of veg/dino ratio were you on? Google 2EHN, find somewhere you can source 99% pure acetone for a tenner or less for 5l and add that at 0.15%. Below zero, 1% petrol reduces viscosity nicely without harming power output too much on a N/A engine, I'd want 5-10% too. Below -10 I'd add 30% BP or Esso diesel unless you're running rapeseed.

On this tank it's been fine at cold starting - I have plenty rapeseed oil in the tank now:)

I think the initial issue was down to Soya oil and the fact the car hadnt done any long runs (to charge the battery)

It seems much happier now!

Saving ~£70 a tank, isn't it worth £30 spent on a mains preheater? They're ace - way cheaper than batteries and starter motors and much quicker than chasing leaks caused by gloopy fuel. Otherwise a hot water bottle round the spin on filter improves the first minute of running and if there is ever a FTW (unusual with OM60x, mine always went even on 100% veg at -5) a kettle of boiling water over the lines and injectors usually sorts things.

She's never failed to start yet even down to -6 and as said above, cold starting is much improved.

To get power to a mains powered preheater, I'd need to run cable across my neighbours land, so that's a no no.

Other tips re hot water bottle and kettle are very welcome:)

Last night, I had this out on an epic adventure - covering about 120miles in deepest, darkest central belt.

First stop was fellow shiter JimH's to collect a sample of the veg oil he'd offered. Looks like reasonable stuff, and the chance to see the Sentinel Waggon was brilliant. Proper engineering!

Then it was over towards sunny* Kelty to procure Clio spares to fix both of them (again!)

Observations:

It's nearly as quick with your foot just resting, but not engaging kickdown as it is where you are 'Double kickdown BANZAI"

A B road blaster it is not, although it grips bloody well, and once speed is achieved, it can be maintained!

The headlight aim could do with some work.

Front lower arms are needed - is it a garage job?

The gearbox is a bit doddery - a fluid and filter change would be beneficial.

Lastly, and most importantly,

I do enjoy driving it - it's so comfortable, and once you work out how the engine likes to be used, it'll happily keep up with traffic. I got out at the end and felt like I'd just driven to the local supermarket.

NA diesels do take a bit of getting used to after turbo diesels and modern petrol cars.

In isolation they're fine but if you try to drive them like a regular, powerful car it's frustrating.

I saw that post about the veg in Alloa, I've used old WVO before, it didn't smell like fresh WVO but still did the job. Do you want a hand collecting/burning it? ;)

Glad to see this old smoker getting under you skin. ( I'm talking to the car, natch)

Gearbox Oil and filer change isn't too bad, you should be able to drain the torque converter too to get a full change. I did that on my w210

I did always find my saloon pleasing to drive once i got my head around it's revvy diesel engine and as you say, surprising amount of grip.

I need to visit young Stu soon for some track tyres. Did you see the hulk of our old Corolla there?

NA diesels do take a bit of getting used to after turbo diesels and modern petrol cars.

In isolation they're fine but if you try to drive them like a regular, powerful car it's frustrating.

When in a hurry, they feel slow, when not they feel fine. The D5 feels more like a petrol than dizzle, even in low power version it's fast as. Which can be annoying, since the economy is then worse than an Audi 100 2.2 petrol, yet not as fast. Lots to be said in favour of 90s diesels.

If the 124 is barely quicker in kickdown then it's gloopy fuel which can't move and burn fast enough (fphe makes a vast difference to this in winter, only a tenner too) or a tired autobox. Or both. When right, one of these should accelerate much harder through 4-5000rpm than under 3, on the right bit of road they should feel plenty brisk in 3rd.

They're quite unlike anything before or since, I'm pleased you're appreciating their hidden qualities.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight my Brother, Davehedgehog31 and I went see JimH for the first installment of "Vegshite:heavy haul edition"

Jim had made an excellent start by setting up the pump, then forgetting it would siphon..

Oh how we laughed:)

post-17572-0-84134800-1550267592_thumb.jpg

Next up was to start pulling the containers out the back of the car and get filling.

post-17572-0-63589400-1550267657_thumb.jpg

The pump was heavily aerating the veg ( you can see it on the 20L tubs on the LHS of the above picture), so we watched it settle as we continued to fill.

It rapidly cleared to a lovely looking liquid, so we just boshed 20L in the tank:)

In fairly short order 230L was pumped. 210 in containers and 20L in the tank. We'll likely filter the 210L unless the Merc ain't grumbly on what's in it:)

post-17572-0-01020200-1550268046_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-31859400-1550268079_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to Jim for the assistance and oil - top shiter:)

That's pretty much the size of it, turbo diesel engines are far more like petrol cars to drive and totally different to the NA diesel experience.

I've learned with the Golf and the Lupo that anything over 2K rpm is pointless, the only thing that's produced is more noise. Once you've got your head around that, dusted yourself off and come to terms with it then the mega mpg's and maintaining momentum/ lazy cruising await...

• 2 weeks later...

Was displaying the dubious pleasures of driving this tub at Scotoshite tonight..

People were very nice about its obvious performance shortcomings, bar Tickman, who just chortled away:)

Then home at an indicated 85 - in near silence despite turning 3500rpm.

I do like it.

in other news, despite the Merc being, old, slow, fucked, slow smelly and slow..

578.2 miles covered using 96L of veg (bar 6L of Derv to top off the tank and avoid an Exxon Valdez incident) 27.37mpg

Total cost : £7.67

Or £0.013 per mile. Sub 2p per mile:)

Went out to this in the morning, and she just wound over and over and over. Battery got drained and not even a cough.

Luckily, my neighbour was performing a thorough* check of his Disco 2 before heading to Skye for the weekend.

He discovered a need for 2L of oil, but only had one. I swapped him a litre for a jumpstart.

Leads connected and away it went no bother.

This suggested to me that it was struggling to pull fuel through with just the battery in the car. The filters on the car had been on it since I got it, so no doubt overdue a swap.

Anyways, with it running, it was time to head to the unit.

Once there, I had a look at the pre-filter

post-17572-0-27983100-1552170232_thumb.jpg

Definitely got my monies worth out of it!

A new one was swapped on

post-17572-0-95557600-1552170327_thumb.jpg

Then it was time to check the main filter:

post-17572-0-44359300-1552170370_thumb.jpg

Fuck knows how this ever ran..

post-17572-0-44359300-1552170370_thumb.jpg

Anyways, a new Main filter was sorted, and the car fired up and taken for a test drive. All well, and possibly a slightly perceptible increase in performance..

Ever since the car has been mine it has been howling inside - I think previous owners have done over 200K on veg, and I reckon they could have done another 20K on the veg that was in the interior..

The plan was simple - a £10 valet

post-17572-0-50751600-1552170547_thumb.jpg

The attack was thus:

Hoover

Upholstery cleaners plus scrubby brush for seats and doorcards

Hoover again

Wipes for all the plastic/trim

Windows cleaned.

I used no less than 9 half buckets of water (changing it when dirty) and about 40 wipes.

An example - the back of the boot prior

post-17572-0-67508400-1552170855_thumb.jpg

And after

post-17572-0-42314700-1552170893_thumb.jpg

In total this took about 5 hours. It felt like I removed about 100kg or utter crud from it.

Whilst the fan heater whirred in the interior, I turned my craftsmanship to the exterior:

One crusty arch:

post-17572-0-66427800-1552170988_thumb.jpg

Exceptional surface preparation (handheld wire brush held somewhere near the panel)

post-17572-0-40325800-1552171053_thumb.jpg

Seamless

post-17572-0-06095900-1552171082_thumb.jpg

It'll do until I can be arsed.

I left it up at the unit with doors open to finish drying out, and brought the A2 loaner home..

Thoughts on that to be put elsewhere:)

That's mega work in the load bay man. Are you gonna whack a load liner down to protect it in the future?

Gaffer tape wings are for winners. That looks mot standard to me.

Cheers! There's some stains that remain, but short of a proper wet vac shift, its as good as I can get it..

Good shout re the load liner, about £35 gets one from the Fatherland..