Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

If it was a 309 pez, not a challenge; a schoolmate's mum had one of those when I was a sprog, you could hear it coming from about a mile off the valvegear was that bad.

Nostalgia! Yeah, I knew it was my parents getting home when the old 309 turned into the road. A really distinctive sound.

My saloons folding headrests caused me great amusement when rear seat passengers fell asleep leaning on them and I pressed the button to drop it...

I started off haveing them in the lowered position on my coupé but got tired of lifting them up with passengers so now have them permanently up. It’s just a party trick dropping them but I use their recess to house the large bags of silica gel I need to dry the rear window.

Today this was pressed into service.

I approached with trepidation, as it had lain for 4 days without a start.

1 heat later and it was away :) loaded it with tools and set off for the unit with some tasks to do.

post-17572-0-56061400-1544293432_thumb.jpg

On the left is a pile of trim parts that need refitting.

I can confirm an indicated 100mph was registered;)

The 335 had to get brake work attended to, and my brother took care of that.

I turned my attention to removing some of the filth from the Merc.

post-17572-0-16399500-1544293548_thumb.jpg

I got the windows cleaned, hoovered it out and got the dash and door cards cleaned

As usual, I spent some time cleaning the steering wheel and stalk.

post-17572-0-86201000-1544293631_thumb.jpg

Something tells me this ain't done the 315k..

I also discovered the spare and found some crispy bits

post-17572-0-55286800-1544293721_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-30881500-1544293739_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-76965400-1544293796_thumb.jpg

After the clean, it was deployed to run the Toledo to its new abode.

We're on the way back to the unit to pick up my brother's car, and have just turned 316k

Don’t knock the indicator etc switch. It could be original- I did read in a club magazine about it being the most expensive switch ever designed.

I just meant it looks damn new! Plastic doesn't feel like the other ones either...

Arrived home now, mild panic as one of the

structural* cable ties holding an undertray on failed about 2 miles from home.

A repair for in the daylight tomorrow methinks.

Rust on the framework on inside of the rear side windows is a common problem. Be careful, if it gets worse you will get water ingress into the boot. A bit of rust treatment and a lick of Hammerite would probably help.

All in all that’s a sweet ride my friend.

Rust on the framework on inside of the rear side windows is a common problem. Be careful, if it gets worse you will get water ingress into the boot. A bit of rust treatment and a lick of Hammerite would probably help.

All in all that’s a sweet ride my friend.

Thanks.

I'll see what else needs doing, but safe to say after circa 200miles, I'm growing to like it!

I just meant it looks damn new! Plastic doesn't feel like the other ones either...

Arrived home now, mild panic as one of the

structural* cable ties holding an undertray on failed about 2 miles from home.

A repair for in the daylight tomorrow methinks.

That’s what I thought you meant on the stalk.

The front undertray on mine was absolutely terrible with oil and muck but the main dealer cleaned it all for me when they had it this year. Now it’s shiny!

I really like these, they've got a certain calmness about them. The P.O. of my old 300D decided to fix the problem of a non-functional stop solenoid by tieing a piece of baling twine to the stop lever which then was left hanging out of the grille. This had to be periodically replaced due to getting munched by the power steering pulley. Your repair will hopefully be an improvement on this.

A repair has been effected on the undertray and silent* running has resumed.

I used it to run parts for the 320 over and also caught up with Davehedgehog31 of this here parish, and we did a back to back Exec express test.

post-17572-0-98025500-1544366033_thumb.jpg

His is faster. Purely down to having a turbo gauge, and nothing to do with 2.5x the power..

post-17572-0-78400300-1544366095_thumb.jpg

I was at the helm on this for a bit on Sunday. "Dignified" is the word I would use.

Not fast by any measurement, momentum is gained with little sensation of acceleration but once there it holds its course with the minimum of fuss. 

Even with the loud pedal mashed to the floor there is no commotion, no strained shouting from the engine room aft, you proceed full steam ahead in complete comfort and effortless entitled style.

Lovely.

Here's one for the assembled crowd..

At motorway speeds (60mph+), the steering on the Merc feels a bit 'vague and twitchy'.

No obvious thunks/bangs etc from balljoints, could it be the steering box needing adjusted?

Yes. If it begins to resemble an old RR, it needs adjusting. There's always going to be a little slack compared with a rack and pinion, though - don't adjust up too tight.

I was at the helm on this for a bit on Sunday. "Dignified" is the word I would use.

Not fast by any measurement, momentum is gained with little sensation of acceleration but once there it holds its course with the minimum of fuss.

Even with the loud pedal mashed to the floor there is no commotion, no strained shouting from the engine room aft, you proceed full steam ahead in complete comfort and effortless entitled style.

Lovely.

I was convinced these were front-engined... they're glacially slow unless you rev them over 3500, or if the autobox is tired. Setting off is very stately on the autos (in 2nd), unless you mash the loud pedal which selects 1st, there's a surprisingly loud whoosh as six over square cylinders suck much air and many gallons of sump oil are stirred - and before your mind wakes up from 124-induced torpor it's gathering speed in second beyond 50.

Yes. If it begins to resemble an old RR, it needs adjusting. There's always going to be a little slack compared with a rack and pinion, though - don't adjust up to tight.

Funny, I always compared me me to very much like a Range Rover but lower down.