Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

Just watched the video - they're really lovely looking cars, understated but well proportioned, and apart from the rust and the driver's seat (TADTS) it looks like it could carry on for a few more thousand miles.  I wonder if I'll ever see that figure on my 2007 example?  You've tempted me to make a similar video, assuming the neighbours don't call the funny farm while I'm doing so...

Just watched the video - they're really lovely looking cars, understated but well proportioned, and apart from the rust and the driver's seat (TADTS) it looks like it could carry on for a few more thousand miles. I wonder if I'll ever see that figure on my 2007 example? You've tempted me to make a similar video, assuming the neighbours don't call the funny farm while I'm doing so...

Go for it - the one thing I would say is walk round it before you start filming to work out the order you want to spraffs shite in:)

Before you start spending more money on repairs and improvements I strongly recommend that you assess the rust situation and do it thoroughly.

I spent almost £500 welding up my W124, which I thought looked solid where it matters. Someone on here bought a W124 TE, invested big in rear subframe bushes only to find that the offside front inner wing was completely rotten.

Don’t be that guy.

Before you start spending more money on repairs and improvements I strongly recommend that you assess the rust situation and do it thoroughly.

I spent almost £500 welding up my W124, which I thought looked solid where it matters. Someone on here bought a W124 TE, invested big in rear subframe bushes only to find that the offside front inner wing was completely rotten.

Don’t be that guy.

I understand what you say:)

The two parts bought so far will mean:

It is possible to turn the ignition every time.

The car will switch off on the key.

Those two done, I'll run it and assess, if you've seen my Oxford thread you'll know I ain't scared of rust investigation..

This was advertised on the vegoildiesel forum months ago, it's not rotted badly or mechanically dodgy iirc, just leggy and smelly. So a great buy, hopefully - and now two cars riding on compressed Nitrogen, they paid their dues to Citroen then disguised everything to look conventional.

If you change the ATF, there's an allen bolt accessed by turning the flywheel round until it's exposed - this drains the TC. Otherwise you're left wondering why it's only taking 20% of the capacity having drained its sump.

They'll pump near-lard (and implode the steel fuel tank if it's not venting) but the filter is the issue in cold weather, sited at the front of the engine in the icy blast. Watch out for blowing pump delivery seals by revving it on cold fuel, too.

Isn't it something to do with not enough room for a turbo and the steering on one side of the engine?

It was MB being ultra-cautious at the time, and perhaps their high-minded old fashioned engineers not understanding why a country with a 70mph speed limit should need to go more than 110mph, which the NA model could sit at all day (but would take a minute or so to return to once slowed).

This was advertised on the vegoildiesel forum months ago, it's not rotted badly or mechanically dodgy iirc, just leggy and smelly. So a great buy, hopefully - and now two cars riding on compressed Nitrogen, they paid their dues to Citroen then disguised everything to look conventional.

That's good to know thanks:) I had a look underneath as best I could and I have seen worse. I see it as being cheap motoring reagardless how long it lasts.

I think the SLS has no fluid in it (certainly the tank in the bay has nothing in it)

If you change the ATF, there's an allen bolt accessed by turning the flywheel round until it's exposed - this drains the TC. Otherwise you're left wondering why it's only taking 20% of the capacity having drained its sump.

Steady on chap;)

The gearbox shifts fine and kicks down ok (i.e an appreciable rise in noise and negligible increase in speed!)

I may consider a change once I know it's worth working on, so the info re the TC is appreciated!

They'll pump near-lard (and implode the steel fuel tank if it's not venting) but the filter is the issue in cold weather, sited at the front of the engine in the icy blast. Watch out for blowing pump delivery seals by revving it on cold fuel, too.

It was MB being ultra-cautious at the time, and perhaps their high-minded old fashioned engineers not understanding why a country with a 70mph speed limit should need to go more than 110mph, which the NA model could sit at all day (but would take a minute or so to return to once slowed).

I'll need to see if I can get a hold of the veg oil contact I had when I had the rank taxi.

She got Derv this time as a precaution - cold weather and an unknown car. I'll feed in more veg on the next tank.

It's quick enough for what I need, but I could make it much quicker with time and (lots of) money..

Years ago I had a 200TE that suffered from rusty SLS pipes. When they started to leak I flogged the car to a dodgy African.

A few years later I bought a 300TD that had solid pipes but the rear end was too high and the ride was too stiff and bouncy. I sold that one a few weeks later, made a good few hundred quid on it too.

Since then I’ve only dabbled with saloons, which have conventional damping.

Good luck sorting yours.

Yeah, the saloons had conventional springs, but plenty of coupes were self-levelling gas sprung. It's one of the aspects of the estates which made them so truly great when used properly hard. There wasn't much which was better at crossing continents than a six pot 124 estate, back in the 80s and 90s.

Used day in day out you grow used to the right foot pedal which at first use make the cars feel near-glacial, but in reality just need getting used to. As does a diesel which only starts to deliver well over 3000rpm, having another 2500k left. With a manual box, the cars feel heavier and more powerful than they really are.

The steering is similar - vague, woolly, lacking much feel at lower speeds and with a huge input device, you don't expect how accurate and full of feedback it becomes as you begin to explore the extraordinary high levels of grip.

It's a reminder of how things used to be, in the Junkman era - when paying twice the price of a Ford gave you something which offered much more than twice the quality.