SAVED for a 2nd time Visa Cabriolet in Edinburgh! - New Clutch fitted

Six-cylinder

Yeah but this has actual car repair content rather than just a load of sentimental backstory on the owner with cutaways to the presenters wanking each other off in a garage every now and then. *

*I've only watched one episode of it so may have got some of the details wrong.

It’s a good program actually. I should imagine that squeezing weeks of work into an hours long episode for ones enjoyment is quite difficult. I went to the reveal of the Lancia Delta in yellow which had belonged to a bloke in stoke. When I say had, he died a few weeks before he it was due to be given back. Brought a tear to everyone’s eye. Even mine. Fuzz and Tim are great blokes, met fuzz earlier in the year. But that’s enough about that, who’s up for a brewer bashing? Haha

Here's another boring video, I took a short clip of some of the other cars I should actually be getting on with instead of spending all my time on this.

I need to do various mot fails on the E30, fit an engine to the Estelle, the 360 is a lot less rusty than the Visa and requires welding and my 305 estate needs some rear arches welded in (if I can find replacements)

The W123 saloon died recently and I need to get to the bottom of that, The 123 coupe needs work and imported and the Audi needs put back together.

I'm hoping to get the Visa finished and away as soon as possible because I don't really have any space left. I had hoped it would be a case of welding the sills and returning it to the previous owner but there seems to be a couple of other issues that will need addressing that aren't necessarily mot fails but do affect the car.

The clutch is slipping quite badly, I don't know if it's possible to adjust anything but the whole pedal box feels quite flimsy so perhaps that's a factor of it misbehaving.

There's been a brand new water pump fitted but it's weeping coolant where it is bolted onto the engine so it will need further investigation (wishful thinking has got me wondering if the coolant leak was actually the major oil leak on the mot failures list)

Here's another boring video, I took a short clip of some of the other cars I should actually be getting on with instead of spending all my time on this.

I need to do various mot fails on the E30, fit an engine to the Estelle, the 360 is a lot less rusty than the Visa and requires welding and my 305 estate needs some rear arches welded in (if I can find replacements)

The W123 saloon died recently and I need to get to the bottom of that, The 123 coupe needs work and imported and the Audi needs put back together.

I'm hoping to get the Visa finished and away as soon as possible because I don't really have any space left. I had hoped it would be a case of welding the sills and returning it to the previous owner but there seems to be a couple of other issues that will need addressing that aren't necessarily mot fails but do affect the car.

The clutch is slipping quite badly, I don't know if it's possible to adjust anything but the whole pedal box feels quite flimsy so perhaps that's a factor of it misbehaving.

There's been a brand new water pump fitted but it's weeping coolant where it is bolted onto the engine so it will need further investigation (wishful thinking has got me wondering if the coolant leak was actually the major oil leak on the mot failures list)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl_KKKj2pK0&feature=youtu.be

Both the cars in our family needed new pedal boxes.The clutch cable stiffens up and makes the clutch heavy,which distorts the pedal box, which makes the clutch heavier again,which distorts the box until it cracks.

I spent the Saturday afternoon of the rugby world cup final in 1991 taking out a pedal box in a scrapyard instead of watching the game.My brother's clutch had become so stiff that the car was almost undriveable,and I was leaving the UK for three years a couple of days later,so it was the last opportunity to do anything about it.I say three years,but we never did come back to live in the UK.

Back to Visas.You can change the clutch on some cars with the suitcase engine by just removing the transfer case in situ,but I think the Visa is too narrow to do that.I found it easier to take the whole engine out.Apart from the normal clutch parts a large gasket is needed for a clutch change,which fits between the transfer case and the engine/gearbox unit.

And because of the cable problems a new one of those would be a good idea.

Morning all - we have £234 in the kitty.  This morning I'm going to transfer all the funds to FOAD-Knight. He has let me know he's £140 into the project (I think it was £95 for the new sills alone + gas etc), and there is still paint and underseal to buy.

Thanks all.

Transfer made.

To confirm - I have a spreadsheet that lists everyone's individual contribution against their forum name and real name, so that in the happy event that refunds can be issued, that won't be a problem for me.

Also worth checking the solidity of the pedal box mounting on the bulkhead and the state of the bulkhead itself. The bulkhead tends to be a weak point for rust and pedal boxes weren't always attached very well, or even in the right place... the 07-Feb-87 edition of Motor reports that the magazine's Visa GTi fleet car had its "pedal box fitted askew"... so a factory 'feature'!

why are you filming throught mrs foads tights? :mrgreen:

I really like the format. It's like you are watching it on an old 'wood effect' telly, you know, the ones you had to bang on the top when the picture started rolling over the screen... It makes a welcome change from watching all those HDI's. A bit like CD and Vinyl I suppose.

No refund to me, just happy to help when i can.

Same here.

Either give my donation to the forum’s funds or maybe it might be good to keep any of the funds people don’t want returning for another worthy cause?

Thanks lads, lets see how this turns out, but will offer refunds to everyone in due course via PM if we get to that point. 

If there is money in the kitty - agree we can either apply it to Stanky's forum funding or keep in reserve for the next big cause.

If you didn't see the video, I welded this plate onto the inner sill

32361581008_d095fc3ae8_c.jpgDSC_0013 by srblythe, on Flickr

Here's the extent of the coolant leak from the water pump.

31295093017_6d02185491_c.jpgDSC_0016 by srblythe, on Flickr

31295092797_e8404bedfe_c.jpgDSC_0017 by srblythe, on Flickr

31295092497_7e07862e58_c.jpgDSC_0018 by srblythe, on Flickr

31295092317_2c84402443_c.jpgDSC_0019 by srblythe, on Flickr

32361578718_3633fc13a4_c.jpgDSC_0022 by srblythe, on Flickr

I also had a look at the pedalbox where it bolts to the bulkhead, I couldn't see any damage but the nut in the bracket isn't tight so hopefully tightening it up will help.

It seems that whoever did the work before did a half arsed job and I'm going to have to re-do everything.