SAVED for a 2nd time Visa Cabriolet in Edinburgh! - New Clutch fitted

Six-cylinder

I suspect that might not be as bad as the mot fail says. I am pretty sure a 1984 doesn't need rear seat belts and if it did one missing wouldn't be a fail. If they have been too harsh with one item the chances are the rest might not be as bad as they say.

Just what I was going to say.  It's all trivial stuff except the two bits of welding, and we can speculate all day as to whether they're the size of a 5p or require a major structural rebuild; some garages just don't like welding.  It hasm't had any failures, or even advisories, for corrosion since 2013, when it appears to have been recommissioned.  It would be interesting to know if they took it to the same garage this time as previous years.

Surely if you wave enough money at them, anywhere will do a welding job. The value of the car is irrelevant (to them).

Perhaps if you're willing to pay far over the odds. But welding is a faff, I've found many garages who'll turn down welding/body work. Plenty of money to be made in easier ways.

They'll sometimes find it difficult to quote an accurate price for the job without actually starting it as the rust will always extend further than what you can see.

How many people having been quoted, say, £250, will put up with a garage ringing up and saying "Sorry boss, just started chipping away and there is a load more rust. It's gonna be £500+ now. Laterz". The snowflakes of today will be straight on the internet telling anyone who will listen that they have been "ROBBED" and the garage in question are "THIEVES AND LIARS".

When I got my Minor me and my Dad trawled around garages for weeks until we found a bloke that was prepared to have a proper look if we left it with him. It ended up costing a lot more than initally thought but we were ok with that, a lot of folk wouldn't be.

As above^^

No garage used to working on modern stuff is going to weld up something that old, as said.  It's not worth the hassle to them and they'll either refuse to do it, saying 'it's too far gone m8' or quote some ridiculous figure.  Why would they bother, when they can charge just as much to do timing belts on Mondeos etc.

It's restoration work.

I've had great success with mobile welders in the past.  These guys know any job they go to will be more extensive than the owner realises and they will have seen it all.  You can increase your odds of a decent job further, by sourcing replacement panels, cleaning the area first etc etc.  It'll most likely be cheaper, too.

Really sounds like the owners of this car have had the frighteners put on them, it may be 50p sized hole... or complete sill replacement, but I reckon it's well savable in the right hands.

Our Nova on a D plate didn't have rear belts from the factory, we had to have one fitted for me as a youngster as I was back then. So they shouldn't be a requirement for this I'd think.

My grandparents did the same for me and my cousins in their Nova! Was a D plate too iirc!

This has got to be saved. I've pushed my luck car wise enough recently otherwise I'd have snapped this up. In my experience of my own old Visa droptop and Sambas I would say looking at it from the pics the rot shouldn't be too drastic and just limited to a few localised areas. Rear seat belts weren't fitted as standard so any remains of extra fittings can be just pulled out. Loved my old Visa.

post-20412-0-52059200-1543525023_thumb.jpg