SAVED for a 2nd time Visa Cabriolet in Edinburgh! - New Clutch fitted

Six-cylinder

Fantastic work! As people have said those inner sills look remarkably sound. It doesnt look too grotty in the usual Visa spots underneath the bonnet either.

That water pump leak either looks like a crap paper gasket.. or more likely it hasnt been bolted on properly . Oil leak looks like the filter hasn't been spun on tight enough either.

Edited by Braddon81

This is fantastic!!!

I'd like to donate a tenner on the condition FOAD spends it on cheap haggis and lager to fuel his labour.

Welding and fabrication to this standard is not cheap, there's absolutely no way in hell he's ever making money on this if you include his time so anyone suggesting otherwise......

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

This is fantastic!!!

I'd like to donate a tenner on the condition FOAD spends it on cheap haggis and lager to fuel his labour.

Welding and fabrication to this standard is not cheap, there's absolutely no way in hell he's ever making money on this if you include his time so anyone suggesting otherwise......

I think most places charge around £30 an hour and I reckon I've spent around 10 hours on it so far, so that and the cost of the sills, consumables and the costs really start adding up. Luckily I'm an amateur and not charging anything for my time so when it's finished and ends up looking a little bit shit it won't matter so much.

I think most places charge around £30 an hour and I reckon I've spent around 10 hours on it so far, so that and the cost of the sills, consumables and the costs really start adding up. Luckily I'm an amateur and not charging anything for my time so when it's finished and ends up looking a little bit shit it won't matter so much.

So much per inch in the decadent South.

Now listen here, we’ve all seen Wheeler Dealers so we all know that your time and skill is worth FUCK ALL and doesn’t count. So back in your unit and get welding.

Always makes me laugh when they add up the costs at the end.

"Oh and 80 hours of Ed's time at £50 an hour means a profit of......oh fuck."

There have been 34(!) contributors to the fund now.

Total funds raised = £257.72

Of which £234 has been transferred to FOAD, as per the weekend update, and £23.72 sits with me while I mop up the odds and ends from donors. This will be transferred to FOAD as needed.

Thanks all.

I've had a bit of a development with the Visa, I have been in contact with the original owner who gave me two options of how to proceed.

His words were:

"there are 2 options:

a) You keep the car, if you want it.  You have earned it

B) If you don't want it, we would gladly take it back and finish getting it back on the road.  First the MOT, and when it was legal again, the clutch.  It needs brake pipes, dampers, a wheel bearing and a tyre.    Fairly normal stuff for the sort of cars we drive."

I'm happy with option B.

If they take it back can we have a live handing over ceremony a la Car SOS. With backing music of your choice.

You should at the very least introduce them to this place. They sound like they'd fit in, or at least understand the place.

Yes, all of the above!

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Option b, with woollarding.

I kind of Hope it goes to the same MOT tester,

"So who fixed it?"

"Well, some nice bloke I didn't know appeared then took the car away to somewhere I've never been, fixed it and some random people I've never met paid for it. Then it came back"

It won't be going back to the same tester, they are also the people who carried out the half arsed repair work so far including the brand new water pump that is currently leaking.

The owner feels that the garage will still refuse to pass it because of the lack of rear seat belts (which it doesn't need) and won't take their word for it that it isn't a legal requirement etc.