How crap is a Suzuki Ignis?

pauldoubleyou

The wife’s sister passed her test recently and has decided to go see a 2004 Suzuki Ignis, 1.3 petrol. I’ve only seen pics but looks average Japanese fare.

Anyone actually drove one? Looks similar to a micra from the same age tbh.

I’m tempted to try and talk her out of it but it looks half decent and I can’t really find a lot of faults in them.

Tinny doors? Crap engines? Rust? Drives like a turd in custard?

Any opinions appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignises like Yaris's are generally great. Ignises are usually 1.3 and the Sports are 1.5. I've had both and liked them both. There's no getting away from the Lupo levels of interior trim and noise though. They're a cheap reliable hatch back so don't expect a Maybach. The Sports are a lot firmer, maybe louder and certainly lower. They're not that much faster in a straight line but you get THE BEST fishnet recaros and far superior handling. 1.3s ride higher and wallow a bit, but it's not an unlovable character trait.

I like them. We were looking for one at one point but ended up buying something else (the CR-V). If an auto had have turned up in the right condition (and at the right price) I would have bought it.

Went and saw one locally which was rough as anything, had had a nasty crash, bad paint and obviously never serviced. I loved it. Actually I thought it felt impressively solid and comfy for what it was, and it drove really nice (although this one refused to go in a straight line for some reason). Quite handy in terms of interior/boot space, I think the rear seats had two positions to fit more in the boot also roof bars and boxy equals practical.

Went and had a look at a 53-plate one of these with 120k on it before I bought the 45 when I got made redundant.

It was like an early 90's car. Drove OK but felt like your were sat on top of it rather than in it. Bodyroll is comical (pretty sure there is no front antiroll bar). Gearstick was a bit wobbly!

Having said that, it was decently specced, gave a decent turn of speed and the boot is deceptively spacious.

A decent car but not my cup of tea.

I used to own a sport, bar overheating once (a mix of bad thermostat and old radiator, thermostat is a pig of a job btw), mine was utterly bulletproof.

I know the 1.3 is a little softer riding so not totally applicable experience as to how it drives, but it was a fun little thing, a bit boomy on the inside but liveable. Ride was pretty firm and the electric power steering used to get horribly confused by mid corner bumps, which is initially very unsettling but you get used to it. Steering is perhaps lacking a little feel but nicely enough weighted. Engine needs worked hard to extract performance. Gearchange could do with a little more weight/feel but was nice enough, i think the 1.3 has a longer throw.

All the controls, clutch, throttle etc are as you expect in a Japanese car, light and no nonsense.

Boot is also very shallow. You can get a secret tray that sits under the boot floor for hidden storage. The parcel shelf/blind thing isn't really adequate for hiding a load, it's just a mesh thing and you can still see things through it.

Oh and rust wise, they seem fine. Mine was fairly rough and had no real rust of note. A couple of tiny bubbles where body mouldings were mounted and on a couple of paint chips, but underneath it was fairly spotless.

I've just sold my Proton Aeroback to bub2006 and I bought a 2005 Iggy 4Grip in the vain hope it will keep me mobile in the bad weather. Especially with Goodyear 4 Season tyres.It has that basic 2WD with viscous coupling to add rear wheel power when the road gets slippery.

Previous owner was a Motability lady.

It's immaculate, has done 49k miles(same as my old Proton had),has FSH,and a new clutch.

As someone said, you sit high up and feel you're on the car rather than in it.

Doors and bootlid have a retro 1970s tinny feel about them. Clutch is as light as a feather - there is no footrest so I can see why the previous owner rested her foot on the pedal and wore the clutch out. Power steering feels under assisted at low speeds.

The ride is hard although you could pretend that gives 'road feel'. It lurches and wallows unpredictably on funny road cambers if you drive in a spirited way.

It looks like a stunted Nissan XTrail from the rear - from the front it looks like a Suzuki Wagon thing.

The interior is hard. The seats are firm and functional - not fat and spongy like the Proton :(

My Ignis definitely has that near-future shiter feel to it!!

Great little things. They do what they say

on the tin. There's no inbetween with Ignis's, their either really well looked after or have been thrashed within an inch of their lives. Usual Jap surface corrosion underneath can become an issue, clutches are small and can prematurely wear and Cv joints can get a bit clunky.. just usual slightly aged Fwd stuff to contend with really and nothing major.

A tidy Ignis should make a good first time runaround.

Well bit the bullet and picked it up for the boy as a runner. It’s not bad to be honest.

Interior was wet and idle was shit when it was warm. Went to start it this morning and it wouldn’t idle. Sorted it on the idle screw but I suspect it could be the ICV.

Needed a new spring on the bonnet release return and the interior water was quite funny..

I filled the washer bottle up as it was empty and was greeted with a waterfall just inside the drivers door. Turned out to be a nipped rear washer pipe. Had to bodge it quick sharp before it emptied a gallon of water into the car so copper brake pipe did the trick until I can nip to the motor factors and get a hose joiner.

History up to 59k and then nothing so I suspect it’s not had much looking at for a few year and owing to the wheels and LED interior lights it’s probably done the rounds of the 20 year olds.

Other than the chavvy alloys (which all have nearly new t1r proxies on for some reason but not complaining) it’s quite nice. Average, but nice.

£108 to insure for a year for me!

fdae3159ff5ea13021fa6a6435333d76.jpg

d0c6b74a01c2bcfffe604333c1bcf650.jpg

bd6da9ace2bb12d4458626e8d7848f7a.jpg

d3b93f82cbedb7cdd341c45b4dc9ac04.jpg

Well I’ll actually tell you how crap a Suzuki Ignis is.

Mine at least is pretty crap.

Filled it full to the brim and it pissed a gallon out somewhere into the forecourt

Drove it away once it had stopped and it died on the motorway, had to get recovered.

That’s how crap.

I’m thinking crank sensor getting warm and failing but the recovery driver gave it a scan and I got MAP sensor and Lambda. It cut out and wouldn’t rev, with the immob and engine light flashing and an erratic Rev counter. Left it two mins and it started, died, started etc etc.

What a day. Refuse to look at it for two weeks then it looks like I’ll be throwing two sensors at it and removing the filler pipe.

Well I’ll actually tell you how crap a Suzuki Ignis is.

Mine at least is pretty crap.

Filled it full to the brim and it pissed a gallon out somewhere into the forecourt

Drove it away once it had stopped and it died on the motorway, had to get recovered.

That’s how crap.

I’m thinking crank sensor getting warm and failing but the recovery driver gave it a scan and I got MAP sensor and Lambda. It cut out and wouldn’t rev, with the immob and engine light flashing and an erratic Rev counter. Left it two mins and it started, died, started etc etc.

What a day. Refuse to look at it for two weeks then it looks like I’ll be throwing two sensors at it and removing the filler pipe.

The pissing out fuel and cutting out will be related - I expect the tank has a good bit of water in it from a rotted out filler neck. Drop the tank , clean it out , new fuel filter and try again .

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of time in this I’ve realised that the descriptions above are totally correct.

I defintely sit ‘on it’ and it is quite too heavy but it’s quite pleasureable to drive. No stupid stuff, cable throttle, except the fact that the bloody indicators are on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

It’s got loads of daft cubby holes too which is handy.

So far all I’ve done is the crank sensor, adjusted the clutch cable to make the biting point a bit more manageable and it bimbled to Edinburgh and back today. 180 miles and not a blip.

Could probably do with the ICV cleaning out once this rain stops but it’s nice to know I’ve fixed the issue.