Cheap small-ish car.

comfysofa

Hi There

I'm after what is slowly becoming a holy grail with the prices of scrap rising and ebay chancers wanting the world for something about to die...a cheap small car!

It has to be small because the cost of insurance where i live (a sink estate) is eye-wateringly insane :-(

I'm willing to pay up to £350 cash and could collect over the weekend, the sooner the better because i am having to use Milton Keynes' baffling public transport system, where it would be simpler to plan a one man journey through the Peruvian jungle than to navigate the bus system here...

I know it's not a great sum of money but sadly it's the best amount i have!

Regards,

Comfysofa :-D

Not sure if it's against forum rules to dreg up old posts like this, but just wanted to say thanks for everyone's responses and i'm sorry i didn't say so sooner (guilty!) i got very desperate after five days of searching for something that had to be cheap as possible and available ASAP and cheap/near to collect, i ended up with a 51 plate Skoda Fabia estate...it's a bit of a dog so will be looking again in the next few weeks once V5 through and more money saved...

Misconception number one. Smoll doesn't always equal cheap. The Johnny Ball Insurance Quote System™ sees to that.

Good luck with the search.

This! along with what gadgetgricey said about Saabs...i am utterly convinced they pull numbers out of a hat regardless...the cheapest car i ever had to insure was a Mk3 Golf 1.9 N/A Diesel...at £20 a month...it was substantially cheaper than all of the small cars i had to that date, and ditto with everything since...

I think insurance prices are at least tangentially linked with risk groups and the types of people who buy and crash certain cars, that's why it can sometimes be cheaper for a 17 year old to insure a Volvo rather than a Corsa.

I have noticed that insurance prices on any car over around 15 years old are a lot higher, for me at least.

I think insurance prices are at least tangentially linked with risk groups and the types of people who buy and crash certain cars, that's why it can sometimes be cheaper for a 17 year old to insure a Volvo rather than a Corsa.

I have noticed that insurance prices on any car over around 15 years old are a lot higher, for me at least.

You're not the only one! :-( (sigh) i generally run 15-20 year old snotters and the cost of the insurance often outweighs the purchase price of the car and it's scrap value...it's getting so bad i have considered doing my CBT again and getting a 125cc scooter, mind you, when i had a breif return to moped-dom on a car licence a few years ago, i was surprised at some of the pricey quotes even for 50cc's of doom... :shock: 

I've been on the hunt for a cheap motor -  anything decent was sold in the first couple of hours of being posted. one went within 10 mins, a trader brought it and had it back up for double with the same pictures less than an hour later, I offered him a couple hundrend more than he paid as it was very nice and he turned it down, £200 profit in less than an hour, nope. he knew it was a good one and nearly doubled his money. 

my budget for my 'new' modern was fluid anything from £200 -1000, so plenty of choice. I've had a 207sw 1.6hdi, little bit of accident damage but doing over 60mpg and £30 a year to tax! 

some stuff I saw around the 3-500 mark I would have only sent to the scrap yard.