So you need a car for communting, shopping, and for doing the odd jaunt to that London from Lincolnshire..

DaveDorson

C6 'out of budget'? There's one on here for £2200 right now!

I did say usually out of budget.

I also mentioned that they terrify and appeal in equal measure.

the Mondeo won't ride as well, but it's a far "safer" choice and it'll cost a lot less to run than the Citroen would.  When considering a daily driver, you do sort of need to take that stuff into account.

Equally, the 407 coupe comes with the same engine as both the above in diesel flavours, having the PSA 2.0 or the 2.7 if I'm happy to pay the additional RFL every month..  

they're nicer inside up front at least than the Mondeo, and I suspect it'd ride as nicely if not a bit better, and the Mrs likes the way they look.

The adults I carry in the back aren't a regular thing, but I do give lifts occasionally.

it's just me and her.  No small people/

Volvo V70, D5 should tick all your boxes? It's currently top of my list for when I start my new job in a few weeks as I'll no longer be able to afford the 25mpg economy* of the CRV with a significantly longer commute. Haven't decided on manual or auto box yet though. Really don't like auto's but if the commute turns out to be a lot of stop/start driving then one would make sense.

It's larger than my current off street parking.

I have done the silly thinking about stuff like that, and v12 Jags, and just patching the Pug through ad-infinitum to keep things turning and the money coming in.

Most sensible choice is patch what ya got and run it until you have a few £k in the bank, then look at said cash and keep banger and cash.

If only I could take my own advice.

35 plus mpg...........150 bhp.....up to 210 bhp with a re-map............[£250!] .....cheap bits.

Unfortunately I see you're looking to sell before I return from Malta (fly Thursday, return Tuesday).

I'm quite familiar with the 20vT, I crew for an Ibiza with a 500bhp one fitted.

My concern is that I'd end up turning it into a toy...

Obviously I will be saying this, but Saab 9-3 or 9-5 TiD. I have run my 9-3 TiD Auto estate (an 07 model) for 7 years and 60k miles. In that time the only none service items needing replaced has been 3 front springs, DPF removal and remap (when it was legal to do this, obviousl I have* returned it to standard and a brake servo. Carries people/crap, tows lots and averages 44mpg. 3k will buy one of the best.

Volvo V70, D5 should tick all your boxes? It's currently top of my list for when I start my new job in a few weeks as I'll no longer be able to afford the 25mpg economy* of the CRV with a significantly longer commute. Haven't decided on manual or auto box yet though. Really don't like auto's but if the commute turns out to be a lot of stop/start driving then one would make sense.

Seconded ...

But I'd go manual as it's a fair bit more economical and it hasn't got the potential worry of the gearcronic box.

Also great value because they sold so many.

I think the sensible option would be to buy a certain blue 2001 BMW 318i Touring with beige leather, auto, cruise control and nice cold A/C. It even has reversing sensors! Plus... a new CCV and breather pipe. All for a very reasonable £400. Okay it has no MOT but for the cost of a brake clean and adjust of the rears, a ticket should be obtainable. Even that should see you with a large amount of wonga in your pocket to buy a top notch satnav. 

You know it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay steer clear of Pug 407 coupe's, well any with an auto slushbox. The auto's have issues with the valve bodies sticking causing it to smash into gear. A new valve body is the only way out of it. Luckily the one I bought I could return since I worked for the auction company at the time. Nice car all the same. 

pug407.jpg

I think I'm going to end up with an accord diesel to be honest.

The estate is absolutely cavernous inside, the exec ones have shiny cow inside, and the 2.2 diesel is apparently a pearler of a motor.

So a 2.2 CDTI Exec Accord Estate would tick many boxes.  And it would mean I can further cull a few of my cars, as it'd be replacement for both the Peugeot and my diesel estate golf Mk4.

Oh....

Well an update I guess. Mentioned my desire for a suitable daily diesel and the lad I share workshop space with said "do you want my Mondeo ST 2.2 estate"

Now, Dave is a body technician and the sort who just buys whatever a car needs.

Yeah it's done 160k miles, but it's had the DMF and clutch done, the turbo came back from Turbo Technics 3k ago, it's had all the services done religiously and he's just about to blow in any stone chips and sort out the sagging headlining. It's fitted with a bit of an asbo stainless exhaust and the wheels are painted in dusty black and pink affair, because he wanted to do something different with them, but other than that it's fine.

It's in a stealth grey, it's an 04 plate and it's less than half what a decent accord would cost me.

I've been under the car and it wants for nothing. It's clean as a whistle underneath and it's got leather recaros inside.

He's resisted getting it mapped too so it won't detonate a few miles down the road.

I'm annoyed at him for offering me it, because I think I'll end up buying it, even though it's an ST, it's a manual, and it's got a whiff of pineapple about it.